Offensive Line in 2017

Hurracanes

Your favorite poster’s favorite poster.
Premium
Probably the biggest question mark after the QB position. Does the OL improve significantly? Do we need to be patient with this group? I expect for this group to improve but we are still a couple of years away from being an elite OL.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I don't think the ol is a question mark. We know exactly what they are and its simply not good enough. Unless Donaldson is the second coming of Orlando Pace I think this group will continue to struggle against teams with above average dl.

Everytime i see mcdormat's name on someone's 2deep oline chart, my nutz starts painfully swelling...limiting him to scout team reps only is major improvement in itself. He's just straight up garbage in the run and passing game...and you asking a possible freshmen qb to trust his *** and keep his eyes downfield; gotta have a dual-threat just to survive behind KC "cant get right" Mcdermott

The O-line will be much improved as long as anybody other than Linder is starting at Center. Can't establish a power running game with such a weak guy in the middle.

Advertisement
I'm counting on McDermott making a big step forward next year

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Idk what y'all have been watching but McDoormat shouldn't be allowed on the field unless someone ahead of him is injured...

He averaged something like 2-4 penalties a game, he's more of a liability than he is an asset.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Odgowu kick inside possibly, I think he could play well at Guard if he ever gets healthy.

Simply by the regression to the mean the offensive line's probably not going to be as bad in 2017 as in 2016. Not sure whether or not that qualifies as improvement.

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Idk what y'all have been watching but McDoormat shouldn't be allowed on the field unless someone ahead of him is injured...

He averaged something like 2-4 penalties a game, he's more of a liability than he is an asset.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Odgowu kick inside possibly, I think he could play well at Guard if he ever gets healthy.

This with the possibility of St Louis and Brown flipping spots

Rotation guys
McDermott
Linder
Odogwu

Advertisement
I don't think the ol is a question mark. We know exactly what they are and its simply not good enough. Unless Donaldson is the second coming of Orlando Pace I think this group will continue to struggle against teams with above average dl.

Struggle against above average dlines? We struggled against FAU's dline. Pretty sure FAU's dline isn't anywhere close to average.

Odogwu shows flashes of dominance, but lacks technique (he started playing football his hs senior year)

Big and powerful, but hes inconsistent.

Hope he has a good year.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

The o-line will lose us at least 3 games next year on their own. This is simply not a talented unit, and it speaks to what a failure Kehoe was here

The scary thought is who will be on this line in 2018? Darling, K.C., Gall And Odogwu are all gone. I think we bring in a transfer or JUCO here to help for that year.

Advertisement
LT McDermott -- Brown -- Hillery

LG Darling -- Milo -- Mahoney

C Gauthier -- Linder -- Gaynor

RG Donaldson -- Jones -- Dykstra

RT St. Louis -- Odogwu -- Johnson

LT McDermott -- Brown -- Hillery

LG Darling -- Milo -- Mahoney

C Gauthier -- Linder -- Gaynor

RG Donaldson -- Jones -- Dykstra

RT St. Louis -- Odogwu -- Johnson
This is good, except for McDoormat at starting LT... I know he played some LT last season, but he's simply not a LT or a starter imo.

Advertisement
bruh.. a couple days ago watched all of the games our O-line struggled.. (FAU, VT, FSU, ND, and UNC) I also watched NC state - they weren't that bad against NC State but NC state had a good D so i wanted to see it again same with WVU)

Bruh.. put it like this.. If Nick Linder plays we aren't going anywhere as an offense.. forget the QB.. GO watch him yourself if you think he wasn't a problem.... I'm not tryna be mean or anything.. I'm watching this dude and kept asking myself.. how is he not in the doghouse? bruh I watched some of the VT/ND plays.. and he CONSTANTLY (not even exaggeration.. dead serious) blown off the ball every other snap.. It didn't matter if it was a run or pass.. At least Tyree St Louis could pass block - he the best pass blocker and best pass tackle we got on the team that we've seen so far..(he terrible at run blocking though)... but Linder.. I can't even explain it.. let me show you some images

linder 1.jpg

linder 2.jpg

linder 3.jpg

THE DUDE CAN'T PLAY at a major college football level.. and this is a recurring theme with him.. turn on the FSU or UNC games.. same thing.. run or pass.. It not a coincidence we got WAY better as a O-line when Gall started.. Gall wasn't anything special.. he just didn't get blown off the ball ever other snap.. As for prediction.. as long as A) Linder is not on the field.. and B) McDermott is not at Guard (not that good at tackle but way better then he was at guard.. he has the athleticism but not the strength) then I'm down for what ever..

My Line up

LT Brown - Pray that this kid is any good.. because based on our recruiting class we've got recruit who aren't gonna help us this year at tackle except Donaldson and that only if he can handle it as a true freshman..
LG Darling - They've been grooming him since benching him to be a guard.. which side? idk LG seems likely.
C Gauthier - By far our best interior if not overall O-line man we've got.. and I saw picture of him with warming up with centers in the RA bowl so maybe he already comfortable with the position. Hopefully Gaynor could become a pleasant surprise like Gauthier was.
RG Donaldson - Unfortunately, I see him more as a projected guard at the moment and I think the staff will put him there because St.Louis has done a solid job to this point.. Maybe in the future he'll be a tackle.
RT St. Louis - been solid. probably our best pass blocker.. desperately needs to improve his run blocking.. at time it just flat out terrible. To many second level whiffs on LBs

McDermott was a top 3 OT coming out of HS. I think his injury set him back and we had limited other options. Plus we played him inside and Darling outside when their natural positions are the reverse. I think both will take major steps next season.

I doubt we get significantly better. Some of these dudes got their feet wet 2 years ago and they all played a significant amount of time this past year. By now, most of the gains garnered from adjusting to college, experience, and lifting/proper nutrition have been realized. We simply lack talent on the O-line.

The scary thought is who will be on this line in 2018? Darling, K.C., Gall And Odogwu are all gone. I think we bring in a transfer or JUCO here to help for that year.

you make it sound as if they were again good.. Any athletic fronts got 5-6 sacks on us

Advertisement
Back