Offensive Line in 2017

Good discussion in this thread, but our secondary is a MUCH bigger question mark than our OL next year.

Bruh we had the #20 Defense.. gave 18 points a game and still lost 4 games.. UNC was 113th in run defense and we only managed 136 rushing yards against them on 3.7 yards per carry.. they gave up about 5 yards a carry. They gave up 230 rushing to duke.. DUKE

before we played ND.. they were one of the worst teams in football at getting tackles for loss and sacks.. and they had about 6 sacks (including the game winning sack) against us and like 10 TFL..

before we played FSU.. they had one of the worse secondary in the nation.. they barely had much TFL and to that point.. terrible at getting after the QB.. we got sacked about 5 times constant pressure (including a tooth being knocked out) on Kaaya gave us no chance to exploit their secondary.. what should of been a field day for Kaaya turned into 7 straight losses to FSU..

In Short, because of our offensive line we couldn't take advantages of anyone defensive weakness because we're trash up front.

This. Hence why I am extremely concerned about the OL.

Advertisement
LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Idk what y'all have been watching but McDoormat shouldn't be allowed on the field unless someone ahead of him is injured...

He averaged something like 2-4 penalties a game, he's more of a liability than he is an asset.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Odgowu kick inside possibly, I think he could play well at Guard if he ever gets healthy.

This with the possibility of St Louis and Brown flipping spots

Rotation guys
McDermott
Linder
Odogwu

St. Louis doesn't need to be anywhere on the outside.

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Idk what y'all have been watching but McDoormat shouldn't be allowed on the field unless someone ahead of him is injured...

He averaged something like 2-4 penalties a game, he's more of a liability than he is an asset.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Odgowu kick inside possibly, I think he could play well at Guard if he ever gets healthy.

Maybe we were watching Richt start him ahead of Darling at LT to end the season. Personally, I was watching him start every game, while Darling wasn't. And don't even blame it all on injury or something.
And Odogwu isn't kicking inside.

But, we will be in trouble if someone can't take over at Center for Linder. He was the true weak link on the OL.

No Kaaya is going to make a huge difference. Nothing helps OL play like getting rid of the least mobile QB in CFB

I expect the OL to "look" better next year, even if the level of play doesn't change much.

Good discussion in this thread, but our secondary is a MUCH bigger question mark than our OL next year.

Bruh we had the #20 Defense.. gave 18 points a game and still lost 4 games.. UNC was 113th in run defense and we only managed 136 rushing yards against them on 3.7 yards per carry.. they gave up about 5 yards a carry. They gave up 230 rushing to duke.. DUKE

before we played ND.. they were one of the worst teams in football at getting tackles for loss and sacks.. and they had about 6 sacks (including the game winning sack) against us and like 10 TFL..

before we played FSU.. they had one of the worse secondary in the nation.. they barely had much TFL and to that point.. terrible at getting after the QB.. we got sacked about 5 times constant pressure (including a tooth being knocked out) on Kaaya gave us no chance to exploit their secondary.. what should of been a field day for Kaaya turned into 7 straight losses to FSU..

In Short, because of our offensive line we couldn't take advantages of anyone defensive weakness because we're trash up front.

Me too.

A great front 7 can mask deficiencies in the secondary.

You can't mask OL problems.

Advertisement

Me too.

True....even the most mobile qb in the country, Lamar Jackson, was sacked 22 more times than the least mobile (Kaaya)

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

Maybe we were watching Richt start him ahead of Darling at LT to end the season. Personally, I was watching him start every game, while Darling wasn't. And don't even blame it all on injury or something.

But, we will be in trouble if someone can't take over at Center for Linder. He was the true weak link on the OL.
McDoormat is not good simple as that... Plus, he's guaranteed multiple penalties a game.

Darling was never supposed to be a T, which is why most people don't have him at any Tackle spot...

I don't understand what your argument is, but the film doesn't lie... McDoormat is not a starting caliber Tackle at this level.

Of course Linder is a weak link... That's why I have Gautier as the Center.

Last edited:

Me too.

True....even the most mobile qb in the country, Lamar Jackson, was sacked 22 more times than the least mobile (Kaaya)

I think you ******** are confusing "question mark" with "biggest need".

We know who our OL is. No real question there. We just need them not to suck. They are crucial to our success (we can all agree, pretty obvious stuff)

However, we just lost practically our entire starting secondary. Both safeties, Corn, and Colbert.

Yes we have Young and Johnson, but then what....

We can assume a lot about what the DB lineup will look like, but we have no ******* clue.

So again, yes the OL is the most important need for next season. But they aren't exactly a question mark.

LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

This with the possibility of St Louis and Brown flipping spots

Rotation guys
McDermott
Linder
Odogwu

St. Louis doesn't need to be anywhere on the outside.

What? He played the best this year from the. Notre dame game on

Advertisement
LT - Brown
LG - Darling
C - Gautier
RG - Donaldson
RT - St. Louis

McDoormat is not good simple as that... Plus, he's guaranteed multiple penalties a game.

Darling was never supposed to be a T, which is why most people don't have him at any Tackle spot...

I don't understand what your argument is, but the film doesn't lie... McDoormat is not a starting caliber Tackle at this level.

Of course Linder is a weak link... That's why I have Gautier as the Center.

My point is you can call mcdermott *** all day long, but darling lost his job to him then couldnt beat out gauthier at lg to end the season.
Im not really disagreeing with you on anything but acting like darling is clearly better than mcdermott when he clearly didnt prove that

I just don't see McDermott in the same light as you guys. He was improving prior to injury, and hasn't been the same since. So the question for me is will he be 100% next season, or struggle with it similar to what we're seeing with Owens. If he's 100%, I think he'll be solid. Have the same question for Odogwu now. Those two come back healthy, and Brown is as advertised, and our OL goes from mediocre to a strength.

LT-McDermott
LG-Darling
C-Gauthier
RG-Donaldson
RT-St Louis

Take it to the bank opening day lineup.

Considering the talent level and number of injuries, Searles actually did a good job. If Sonny is healthy, he will play. He has the talent and just needs experience. Linder should not have played this year....but not because of his skill. He had two very bad shoulders that got worse as the season wore on and both required major surgery. Had Gauthier been ready earlier in the season, he would have redshirted. McDermott was also injured, but healed later in the season, which is why his play improved (other than the penalties).

Advertisement

Me too.

We know who our OL is. No real question there. We just need them not to suck. They are crucial to our success (we can all agree, pretty obvious stuff)

However, we just lost practically our entire starting secondary. Both safeties, Corn, and Colbert.

We can assume a lot about what the DB lineup will look like, but we have no ******* clue.

So again, yes the OL is the most important need for next season. But they aren't exactly a question mark.
I'm with you. Like I said the question mark is the LSU kid. If he stinks, we already know what next year is going to look like.

Me too.

I'm with you. Like I said the question mark is the LSU kid. If he stinks, we already know what next year is going to look like.

Really hoping him and ND can contribute positively.

That, and hoping Linder never sees the field again.

Linder tried to play through a bad injury to his shoulder this past season, they finally HAD to shut him down.

He played a ton his first two years played fine, now we don't want him to see the field again?

He tried to man up play through bad pain, because our crappy OL recruiting left very little on the roster.

Linder when healthy will be more than average.

He may be a better guard than center though.

Advertisement
Linder tried to play through a bad injury to his shoulder this past season, they finally HAD to shut him down.

He played a ton his first two years played fine, now we don't want him to see the field again?

He tried to man up play through bad pain, because our crappy OL recruiting left very little on the roster.

Linder when healthy will be more than average.

He may be a better guard than center though.

You really expect Linder to be his old self after three shoulder surgeries? At this point of his career he is not starter material anymore. We don't need to go through the same bullsh*t with him that we did last year. Time for someone else to start.

Get Linder out of my face. An OL that gets abused as much as him should be on the sideline. I don't care how "smart" he may be.

Nah, Rumph has shown he can do more with less.

stiop saying that sh*t..he essentially had 4 srs starting for him this season in the secondary. Corn elder will be a top 3 rd pick at cb...and Colbert was a scheme fit to a t...and may even be drafted as well. Not calling him a sorry coach..but he had some ready products already...like the work with Malek Young though

Nah, Rumph has shown he can do more with less.

stiop saying that sh*t..he essentially had 4 srs starting for him this season in the secondary. Corn elder will be a top 3 rd pick at cb...and Colbert was a scheme fit to a t...and may even be drafted as well. Not calling him a sorry coach..but he had some ready products already...like the work with Malek Young though

Everyone thought last year that corner was going to be our biggest weakness. Going into the season we had Corn who was good, not great, a transfer who played safety and didnt get playing time, a few guys that havent done a thing here in Jackson, Mayes, Henley, and a true freshman in Young. Elder turned into a superstar overnight. Colbert was a bench player that will now be hetting drafted. Young played very well for a true freshman. And Jackson, Mayes became servicable. Rumph has worked magic! From year one, Diaz, Kool, and Rumph have shown to be our 3 best coaches. All 3 have done a whole lot more with less. People can talk about him recruiting herritage all they want ( slaton is completly overrated imo), but the man has done his thing coaching. Looking at our roster going into next season, Corner once again looks to be the weakest on the team. Depth chart looks down right scary. If he can make them anything more then servicable, he will earn his paycheck

Advertisement
Back