Offensive Line in 2017

Seemed to me the biggest issue with OL was on the interior, particularly run blocking. They didn't seem nearly strong enough to create holes. Not sure if that's a Searels issue, strength issue, technique issue, mindset issue... or all of the above.

Advertisement
bruh.. a couple days ago watched all of the games our O-line struggled.. (FAU, VT, FSU, ND, and UNC) I also watched NC state - they weren't that bad against NC State but NC state had a good D so i wanted to see it again same with WVU)

Bruh.. put it like this.. If Nick Linder plays we aren't going anywhere as an offense.. forget the QB.. GO watch him yourself if you think he wasn't a problem.... I'm not tryna be mean or anything.. I'm watching this dude and kept asking myself.. how is he not in the doghouse? bruh I watched some of the VT/ND plays.. and he CONSTANTLY (not even exaggeration.. dead serious) blown off the ball every other snap.. It didn't matter if it was a run or pass.. At least Tyree St Louis could pass block - he the best pass blocker and best pass tackle we got on the team that we've seen so far..(he terrible at run blocking though)... but Linder.. I can't even explain it.. let me show you some images

View attachment 41760

View attachment 41761

View attachment 41763

THE DUDE CAN'T PLAY at a major college football level.. and this is a recurring theme with him.. turn on the FSU or UNC games.. same thing.. run or pass.. It not a coincidence we got WAY better as a O-line when Gall started.. Gall wasn't anything special.. he just didn't get blown off the ball ever other snap.. As for prediction.. as long as A) Linder is not on the field.. and B) McDermott is not at Guard (not that good at tackle but way better then he was at guard.. he has the athleticism but not the strength) then I'm down for what ever..

My Line up

LT Brown - Pray that this kid is any good.. because based on our recruiting class we've got recruit who aren't gonna help us this year at tackle except Donaldson and that only if he can handle it as a true freshman..
LG Darling - They've been grooming him since benching him to be a guard.. which side? idk LG seems likely.
C Gauthier - By far our best interior if not overall O-line man we've got.. and I saw picture of him with warming up with centers in the RA bowl so maybe he already comfortable with the position. Hopefully Gaynor could become a pleasant surprise like Gauthier was.
RG Donaldson - Unfortunately, I see him more as a projected guard at the moment and I think the staff will put him there because St.Louis has done a solid job to this point.. Maybe in the future he'll be a tackle.
RT St. Louis - been solid. probably our best pass blocker.. desperately needs to improve his run blocking.. at time it just flat out terrible. To many second level whiffs on LBs
This is great stuff...

IIRC, didn't Gautier play a lot at Center throughout the season? I think he started at Center during our 4 game win streak to close out the season...

I could be wrong, but I think I remember him playing C vs Pitt.

The scary thought is who will be on this line in 2018? Darling, K.C., Gall And Odogwu are all gone. I think we bring in a transfer or JUCO here to help for that year.

i don't think 18 will be so bad, by then guys like Hillary, Donaldson, and gaynor should be making moves. maybe even the lt they got last year forget his name, throw in fact stlouis and Gauthier should be back and there is potential to be a very good oline in 18.

Advertisement
Good discussion in this thread, but our secondary is a MUCH bigger question mark than our OL next year.

Not really. Db has some experienced guys there.yeah we lose some senior guys including an absolute stud in elder but we also bring back 3 very experienced players who have multiple starts under their belt in malek young, redwine and Jaquan Johnson. To add to that we have one of the best front 7's in the country so that always helps the dbs. We are also bringing in some pretty good dbs as well

Just curious has anyone seen Brown play? I mean everyone has him starting is that because of the unknown?

bruh.. a couple days ago watched all of the games our O-line struggled.. (FAU, VT, FSU, ND, and UNC) I also watched NC state - they weren't that bad against NC State but NC state had a good D so i wanted to see it again same with WVU)

Bruh.. put it like this.. If Nick Linder plays we aren't going anywhere as an offense.. forget the QB.. GO watch him yourself if you think he wasn't a problem.... I'm not tryna be mean or anything.. I'm watching this dude and kept asking myself.. how is he not in the doghouse? bruh I watched some of the VT/ND plays.. and he CONSTANTLY (not even exaggeration.. dead serious) blown off the ball every other snap.. It didn't matter if it was a run or pass.. At least Tyree St Louis could pass block - he the best pass blocker and best pass tackle we got on the team that we've seen so far..(he terrible at run blocking though)... but Linder.. I can't even explain it.. let me show you some images

View attachment 41760

View attachment 41761

View attachment 41763

THE DUDE CAN'T PLAY at a major college football level.. and this is a recurring theme with him.. turn on the FSU or UNC games.. same thing.. run or pass.. It not a coincidence we got WAY better as a O-line when Gall started.. Gall wasn't anything special.. he just didn't get blown off the ball ever other snap.. As for prediction.. as long as A) Linder is not on the field.. and B) McDermott is not at Guard (not that good at tackle but way better then he was at guard.. he has the athleticism but not the strength) then I'm down for what ever..

My Line up

LT Brown - Pray that this kid is any good.. because based on our recruiting class we've got recruit who aren't gonna help us this year at tackle except Donaldson and that only if he can handle it as a true freshman..
LG Darling - They've been grooming him since benching him to be a guard.. which side? idk LG seems likely.
C Gauthier - By far our best interior if not overall O-line man we've got.. and I saw picture of him with warming up with centers in the RA bowl so maybe he already comfortable with the position. Hopefully Gaynor could become a pleasant surprise like Gauthier was.
RG Donaldson - Unfortunately, I see him more as a projected guard at the moment and I think the staff will put him there because St.Louis has done a solid job to this point.. Maybe in the future he'll be a tackle.
RT St. Louis - been solid. probably our best pass blocker.. desperately needs to improve his run blocking.. at time it just flat out terrible. To many second level whiffs on LBs

Would rep

Advertisement
Just curious has anyone seen Brown play? I mean everyone has him starting is that because of the unknown?
I have him starting because the Coaches have all said that's why they brought him in, and he's been practicing with the team all year as a starter.

Coach Brown, Searels & Richt have all spoke very highly of him & pretty much expect him to be a contributor, so the assumption is that he's being groomed as the starting LT.

We'll find out come Spring ball.

I have him starting because the Coaches have all said that's why they brought him in, and he's been practicing with the team all year as a starter.

Coach Brown, Searels & Richt have all spoke very highly of him & pretty much expect him to be a contributor, so the assumption is that he's being groomed as the starting LT.

We'll find out come Spring ball.

Thanks for the info

Good discussion in this thread, but our secondary is a MUCH bigger question mark than our OL next year.

You win the game in the trenches...I think this year should've told you that if we play decent defense and allow 20 points we still lose...Offense needs to score 3 TD's a game in the ACC to win.

Advertisement
McDoormat and Linder should never be allowed to play at this program again.

Watching these two dudes was gut wrenching this past season.

Bruh we had the #20 Defense.. gave 18 points a game and still lost 4 games.. UNC was 113th in run defense and we only managed 136 rushing yards against them on 3.7 yards per carry.. they gave up about 5 yards a carry. They gave up 230 rushing to duke.. DUKE

before we played ND.. they were one of the worst teams in football at getting tackles for loss and sacks.. and they had about 6 sacks (including the game winning sack) against us and like 10 TFL..

before we played FSU.. they had one of the worse secondary in the nation.. they barely had much TFL and to that point.. terrible at getting after the QB.. we got sacked about 5 times constant pressure (including a tooth being knocked out) on Kaaya gave us no chance to exploit their secondary.. what should of been a field day for Kaaya turned into 7 straight losses to FSU..

In Short, because of our offensive line we couldn't take advantages of anyone defensive weakness because we're trash up front.

I get that this is a message board, and no one likes the tone police, but ****, why do you guys always have to dog our players like that. You can criticize them without being a**holes about it. If a player has physical limitations, but is asked to play because there isn't anyone better, that's not his fault. That is on the coaches/recruiters.

KC gets too many penalties, that's on him.
Linder was decent/good his freshman year, so I wonder if he was playing hurt this year, since he looked so much worse.

Advertisement
its baffling how bad KC has been. Urban Meyer wanted this dude bad. I'm praying another year with Big Gus and the S&C staff will make him stronger and better.

5-Star Miami Commit Kc McDermott Talks Recruiting, and Turning Down Urban Meyer | Bleacher Report

Bruh.. It like we're cursed or something.. most of the highly touted recruit that we were able to wrestled away from other big time schools we've gotten since like '08 has been duds and never lived up to expectations..

If Brown is legit we could see a big improvement.

If not, I just don't see it. We need a LT that can allow the other guys to move around Darling.

I'm counting on McDermott making a big step forward next year

This could be a serviceable line next season. Serviceable would be a huge step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back