Offensive Firepower

Advertisement
Forget about the past. It's about the present. No one should look at past statistics about the program. We have proven productive players. They just need to continue to do what they've done in their college career.

As you can see, we have a lot of talent on team besides the transfers. What the staff is doing is not "relying" on young unproven talent. They are going "all in" on proven players and will bring the young talent along as they build trust.
You apparently forgot the GT game last year. Yes, we have much better talent at nearly every position, and we should win at least 10 games, but this has been the mantra for 20 years, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic

Advertisement
You apparently forgot the GT game last year. Yes, we have much better talent at nearly every position, and we should win at least 10 games, but this has been the mantra for 20 years, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic
I understand, but the past has nothing to do with the present or future. You have coaches and players cycling out every few years. There are a whole new crop of players. Some of them are transfers. You can't associate them with the culture and results of the past.

One thing that is very different this year is Mario is relying on proven players. The guys that are going to see a majority of the snaps are proven players with a lot of experience. The talented, but unproven players will be sprinkled in and their snaps will grow depending on how well they play when given an opportunity.

With proven players, they just need to do what they have done in their college careers.

My expectations are based on what we have and who we play. There should only be 3 challenging games on the schedule. That is UF, UL, and FSU. I don't want to hear any nonsense about GT and VT being tough. Look at Florida's schedule. That's tough. Probably the toughest in college football. If we're not good enough to beat teams like GT and VT soundly, then we don't belong. It's just that simple.

People want to hang onto the past until they see differently, and even then they have doubts. That's human nature. However, those negatives don't matter just like positives of our national championships have zero to do with the outcomes of future games.

We've had back to back top 10 recruiting classes for the first time in 20+ years. We have the best QB and now best RB in the ACC. Couple that with the top 2 returning WRs in the ACC. Expectations should match the roster and the competition.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Question marks still remain at center and LG.
Even the most explosive teams have some question marks. We may have question marks at LG but the players battling for those spots are very talented with their biggest fault being that they are not yet on the level of Anez Cooper, Jalen Rivers and Francis Mauigoa. At center Zach Carpenter was all BIG Honorable Mention so its not like we're putting Tommy Kennedy out there.

I was just stating this recently in this post (I think yesterday), this actually deserves its own thread on main board:

And I know many here wont say it but Dawson is on the hook to produce a TOP TEN offense this year.. No excuses (barring injury). If everyone can agree we have a top 5-10 QB, top 10 RB, top 10 WR core and a highly thought of Oline, why should the offense NOT be expected to be TOP 10 in nation?! I see some 30-35 point estimates. Top 10 is high 30s minimum.. LETS GOOO

I see guys give Dawson/Mario some super lazy goals in regards to offense. 30 points per game BS.. This is a offense that will feature some of the top players in nation in every unit ( I expect Cam in new york) .. It has everything you can ask for AND explosive young depth. A tired defense tryna hold face, facing the second team with Chris Johnson jr., ray ray, robby, jojo trader, ny carr, even kirk, all tryna make a name should drive totals closer to 40 a game.. (unless the defense is just trash and cant secure leads which is possible)

Looking at list, I think some of our guys are underrated also..

Even the most explosive teams have some question marks. We may have question marks at LG but the players battling for those spots are very talented with their biggest fault being that they are not yet on the level of Anez Cooper, Jalen Rivers and Francis Mauigoa. At center Zach Carpenter was all BIG Honorable Mention so its not like we're putting Tommy Kennedy out there.
Oline still has to step up, even last years unit was protected with kid gloves for a vet unit.. We were max protecting with teams dropping 8.. Only 3 man routes against 8 guys?! They could almost triple cover everyone :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Meanwhile we got 7 to block 3.. :snoopfacepalm:

Advertisement
Thoughts those were pipe dreams
1715430156731.gif

Of the 11 projected offensive starters, 9 of them made an All Conference team in 2023!!! The only players who did not, Arroyo & Okunlola, were both injured in 2023.

QB Cam Ward RSR 6-2 223 (2023 All-Pac 12 Honorable Mention Team)
HB Damien Martinez JR 6-0 237 (2023 All-Pac 12 First Team)
WR Sam Brown RSR 6-2 195 (2023 All-Big 12 Honorable Mention Team)
WR Jacolby George SR 6-0 176 (2023 All-ACC Third Team)
SL Xavier Restrepo RSR 5-10 200 (2023 All-ACC First Team)
TE Elijah Arroyo RJR 6-4 245 (Injured in 2023)
LT Jalen Rivers RSR 6-5 325 (2023 All-ACC Second Team)
LG Samson Okunlola RFR 6-6 310 (Injured in 2023)
C Zach Carpenter RSR 6-5 295 (2023 All-Big Ten Honorable Mention)
RG Anez Cooper JR 6-6 325 (2023 All-ACC Honorable Mention)
RT Francis Mauigoa SO 6-6 325 (2023 All-ACC Honorable Mention)

This offense better score at least 35 points per game NO EXCUSES.

Last edited:
Advertisement
By the time this gets to page 5 it will be 50 points a game no excuses
As it should be! wtf.. Top 10 at every unit nationally! I dont know if its the 20 years of of being terrible or Mario making people scared to set high goals to protect him but this team should LIGHT up hard rock.. And with the explosive guys who are depth right now against tired defenses I dont see why expecting a top 10 offense is a bad thing..

Honestly, I think the only regular season game that they have a decent chance to lose is Florida. And that’s only because it’s Game 1 with a new quarterback and other new pieces playing together for the first time. Schedule that for Game 3 or later and we win.

Advertisement
Back