Off Topic: Johnny Football is the greatest PLAYMAKER

NOBODY is as good as Vince Young was his last two seasons in college. Those Rose Bowl performances are at the forefront of individual performances in college football the last 30 years

Vince Young was a baller. With that said, I think you went too far regarding both Rose Bowl performances. I can't argue with the second one, but I think you are lumping the first Rose Bowl in with the second if you're including that as being one of the best individual performances of the past 30 years. Did he ball out? Sure he did. But personally I wouldn't take his first Rose Bowl performance over Manziel's Cotton Bowl performance last year. Only thing I can see is that you're penalizing Manziel because it wasn't a close game.

Advertisement
Jw, WTF are u talking about, man?! He made Bama his *****, twice. You must not have watched the whole game. Manziel is like Fran Tarkenton, Jr. One poster alluded to it above. I'm not old enough to remember Fran playing, but because Im a student of the game, I dug up some film years ago. The resemblances are uncanny! AND like QB's of yesteryear, this guy loves to party and stay out late. He may not end up a good pro, but he's the most entertaining college QB I've ever seen. I'm sitting on the couch laughing my *** of as this guy is seemingly toying with opposing defenses.

*Namedrop alert*

I was talking to George Whitfield, Manziel's private quarterback coach, and he said Manziel would be a cross between Michael Vick and Russell Wilson in the league.

He also said something I've been preaching for years: the most important physical indicator of quarterback success isn't height, it's hand size. Guys like Favre and Brees (and going way, back Johnny Unitas) were able to throw from different angles and use all sorts of feints and pump fakes because of their hand size. Russell Wilson is another guy with big hands.

Manziel has huge mitts, and you can see it when he's scrambling around. His arm strength is my only concern when you compare him to Wilson and Brees, but his anticipation (as Lu pointed out) helps make up for it.

Jw, WTF are u talking about, man?! He made Bama his *****, twice. You must not have watched the whole game. Manziel is like Fran Tarkenton, Jr. One poster alluded to it above. I'm not old enough to remember Fran playing, but because Im a student of the game, I dug up some film years ago. The resemblances are uncanny! AND like QB's of yesteryear, this guy loves to party and stay out late. He may not end up a good pro, but he's the most entertaining college QB I've ever seen. I'm sitting on the couch laughing my *** of as this guy is seemingly toying with opposing defenses.

So what so Johnny is GOAT b/c he beat Bama once and lost to a suspect Bama team this year??? it doesnt make sense.

Cam Newton went from down 24 to ZERO, against the greatest Nick Saban Bama team he has ever had...... and came back to beat them on his own on the road in Tuscaloosa....

GTFOH Cam Newton is GOAT.

charlie Ward was better than Manziel.. I think college football is more watered down than now.

i disagree with the OP.. I don't think he's the greatest playmaker. He's played what 20 games and we are crowning him. Alabama made him look real regular.

Yeah, 66 TDs and a Heisman (maybe more), too. He also put up 560 total yards of offense against Bama.

So the most stats makes him the greatest playmaker.. You're right Snap..

Never said he was the greatest playmaker ever. Just responding to your drivel that was implying that he couldn't be judged because of sample size. Also your even-more-ridiculous Bama comment.

Advertisement
Jw, WTF are u talking about, man?! He made Bama his ****, twice. You must not have watched the whole game. Manziel is like Fran Tarkenton, Jr. One poster alluded to it above. I'm not old enough to remember Fran playing, but because Im a student of the game, I dug up some film years ago. The resemblances are uncanny! AND like QB's of yesteryear, this guy loves to party and stay out late. He may not end up a good pro, but he's the most entertaining college QB I've ever seen. I'm sitting on the couch laughing my *** of as this guy is seemingly toying with opposing defenses.

So what so Johnny is GOAT b/c he beat Bama once and lost to a suspect Bama team this year??? it doesnt make sense.

Cam Newton went from down 24 to ZERO, against the greatest Nick Saban Bama team he has ever had...... and came back to beat them on his own on the road in Tuscaloosa....

I think he's referring to the comment that Bama made him look "regular." On another note, you're talking to the biggest Cam fan on this board. I saw every single game of the kid's AU career. I argued with fools that said he wouldn't be a high draft pick. With that said, other than being correct about being down 24-0, everything else you said regarding the Bama game is incorrect. They were far from Nick's greatest team, and he definitely didn't beat them by himself.

*Namedrop alert*

I was talking to George Whitfield, Manziel's private quarterback coach, and he said Manziel would be a cross between Michael Vick and Russell Wilson in the league.

He also said something I've been preaching for years: the most important physical indicator of quarterback success isn't height, it's hand size. Guys like Favre and Brees (and going way, back Johnny Unitas) were able to throw from different angles and use all sorts of feints and pump fakes because of their hand size. Russell Wilson is another guy with big hands.

Manziel has huge mitts, and you can see it when he's scrambling around. His arm strength is my only concern when you compare him to Wilson and Brees, but his anticipation (as Lu pointed out) helps make up for it.

I still think the hand-size thing is dependent on style and doesn't lead to reliable enough conclusions. There are as many examples of guys with "regular" hands who have succeeded. Aaron Rodgers being one of the best QBs in the league right now, as one. Rich Gannon was a big guy, but wasn't necessarily known for having Big Ben-type hands, yet he was known for being the QB who threw from the most varied angles. I think the hand thing is an interesting theory, but I'm not sure it's SCIENCE yet. Also hard to make a conclusion because they started regularly measuring hands at the combine only in the recent past. One other thing: I'd guess most QBs have decently-sized hands, so it's not like we're seeing outliers.

Last edited:

I think he's referring to the comment that Bama made him look "regular." On another note, you're talking to the biggest Cam fan on this board. I saw every single game of the kid's AU career. I argued with fools that said he wouldn't be a high draft pick. With that said, other than being correct about being down 24-0, everything else you said regarding the Bama game is incorrect. They were far from Nick's greatest team, and he definitely didn't beat them by himself.

Are you serious??

I'm looking at the stats right here....

Cam Newton lead Auburn in rushing that game too.

3 passing TDs 0 ints and 1 rushing TD.

Cam Newton carried that team on his back offensively.

and that Bama team was WAY more loaded then the 2 Bama teams Manziel went up against last year and this year combined.

Bama's Offense: Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Julio Jones, DJ Fluker, Chance Warmack, Barret Jones, Darius Hanks, Marquis Maze......

Bama's Defense: Marcel Dareus, Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Nico Johnson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Robert Lester, and Mark Barron..... ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE

Last edited:
Cam Newton > Mike Vick > Vince Young > Johnny Football

Until Johnny figures out how to use his playmaking ability to win a title against these suspsect SEC defenses then this is where he is at imo.

What a porst.

Manziel has carved up SEC defense more than anybody in SEC history. He only just set the SEC total offense record as a freaking RS Frosh.

His defense is the only thing keeping him from winning titles.

Advertisement
Zon3, read my post again. I NEVER SAID that he was the GOAT, I said that he was the most entertaining college QB, I've ever seen. Most of my post was directed at jw. The other part of it was alluding to who Manziel reminds me off. Read before u raise ****, lol. Carry on.

Cam Newton > Mike Vick > Vince Young > Johnny Football

Until Johnny figures out how to use his playmaking ability to win a title against these suspsect SEC defenses then this is where he is at imo.

What a porst.

Manziel has carved up SEC defense more than anybody in SEC history. He only just set the SEC total offense record as a freaking RS Frosh.

His defense is the only thing keeping him from winning titles.

Lol yeah sure guy.....

Oregon, UCLA, Baylor, Oklahoma st, Miami, FSU, and Clemson all would raise **** in the SEC offensively. SO what... SEC defenses this year are suspect and they arent built to stop elite multiple/spread offenses.

Yeah Johnny carved "SEC defenses" up to the tune of going to the Cotton Bowl gtfoh.... where Cam Newton carried his unranked Auburn team too??? lol oh exactly.

Vince Young and Mike Vick where did they carry their teams to.... exactly.

Are you serious??

I'm looking at the stats right here....

Cam Newton lead Auburn in rushing that game too.

3 passing TDs 0 ints and 1 rushing TD.

Cam Newton carried that team on his back offensively.

and that Bama team was WAY more loaded then the 2 Bama teams Manziel went up against last year and this year combined.

Bama's Offense: Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Julio Jones, DJ Fluker, Chance Warmack, Barret Jones, Darius Hanks, Marquis Maze......

Bama's Defense: Marcel Dareus, Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Nico Johnson, Dre Kirkpatrick, Robert Lester, and Mark Barron..... ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE

Look at the stats all you like. I watched the actual game. Quite a few things went right for AU to win that game. And you're wrong about him leading the team in rushing that game. In fact, that was hands down the worst rushing game he had all season. He didn't even average 2 yards a carry in that game. I'm an AUburn guy man. You can try to argue this one, but trust me when I say that you're wrong. Was Cam the most important guy offensively? Of course he was. Did he win that game by himself? **** no.

And what does you saying that 2010 was Saban's greatest team ever have to do with the teams that Manziel went up against? Saban fielded TWO Bama teams that won national titles and another that imo was the second best team in the nation (2008) long before Johnny football even came along. If you think the 2010 Bama team was Saban's greatest, then you don't follow Bama football.

Look at the stats all you like. I watched the actual game. Quite a few things went right for AU to win that game. And you're wrong about him leading the team in rushing that game. In fact, that was hands down the worst rushing game he had all season. He didn't even average 2 yards a carry in that game. I'm an AUburn guy man. You can try to argue this one, but trust me when I say that you're wrong. Was Cam the most important guy offensively? Of course he was. Did he win that game by himself? **** no.

And what does you saying that 2010 was Saban's greatest team ever have to do with the teams that Manziel went up against? Saban fielded TWO Bama teams that won national titles and another that imo was the second best team in the nation (2008) long before Johnny football even came along. If you think the 2010 Bama team was Saban's greatest, then you don't follow Bama football.

Lol I watched the game and Auburn was dead to rights until Cam Newton flipped a switch and went ballistic.... you think Auburn's defense would have finally decided to show up w/o the leadership of Cam Newton?? smh

Bama scored 21 in the 1st half, 2nd half scored a FG pushing the lead to 24-0. Cam Newton scored all 4 TDs that it took to beat Bama.

and you sound ridiculous that 2010 Bama team had a lot of parts from the previous National championship team, thats why they were still considered the favorites to win the National title that year.... thats what i'm talking, wtf r u saying?

Yes Cam Newton struggled rushing the ball, b/c he was up against a loaded Bama defense and he still got it done... you are making my point.

To say Cam Newton didnt carry Auburn to that win over Bama is a ****n delusional joke.

Advertisement

Lol I watched the game and Auburn was dead to rights until Cam Newton flipped a switch and went ballistic.... you think Auburn's defense would have finally decided to show up w/o the leadership of Cam Newton?? smh

Bama scored 21 in the 1st half, 2nd half scored a FG pushing the lead to 24-0. Cam Newton scored all 4 TDs that it took to beat Bama.

and you sound ridiculous that 2010 Bama team had a lot of parts from the previous National championship team, thats why they were still considered the favorites to win the National title that year.... thats what i'm talking, wtf r u saying?

Yes Cam Newton struggled rushing the ball, b/c he was up against a loaded Bama defense and he still got it done... you are making my point.

To say Cam Newton didnt carry Auburn to that win over Bama is a ****n delusional joke.

LOL. So now you're bringing up the "leadership" qualities that can't be quantified. Of course he was a leader, but couple Cam with AU's defense from last year and all of the leadership qualities in the world wouldn't have made a **** difference. And if you watched the game, you would know that it wasn't 21-0 at the half. It was actually 24-7 at the half, and the game should have started at 31-0 if not for a fumble that resulted in a touchback. Keep INCORRECTLY looking at the boxscore, though.

And I'm talking about what you said. You said that it was Saban's greatest team ever. WTF are you talking about saying what you meant was they had a lot of the parts from the previous national title team? If that's what you meant, then you should have said that. IT doesn't make any sense at all to say they are the greatest, and then say that's not what you meant and then look at me like I'm the fool for taking what you said literally.

By the way, anyone that was familiar with Bama knows that the 2010 team was young, and actually lost the majority of its defense.

Advertisement
Manziel also have an very very good Offensive Pass Protection. That helps him be able to do alot of what he does. There is normally only one guy leaking thru and he makes them look silly.

LOL. So now you're bringing up the "leadership" qualities that can't be quantified. Of course he was a leader, but couple Cam with AU's defense from last year and all of the leadership qualities in the world wouldn't have made a **** difference. And if you watched the game, you would know that it wasn't 21-0 at the half. It was actually 24-7 at the half, and the game should have started at 31-0 if not for a fumble that resulted in a touchback. Keep INCORRECTLY looking at the boxscore, though.

And I'm talking about what you said. You said that it was Saban's greatest team ever. WTF are you talking about saying what you meant was they had a lot of the parts from the previous national title team? If that's what you meant, then you should have said that. IT doesn't make any sense at all to say they are the greatest, and then say that's not what you meant and then look at me like I'm the fool for taking what you said literally.

lol wow you obviously have no point to make..... Obvious mistake but whatever the score was still 24-0 before Cam Newton scored the first TD, 1st half or 2nd half ok so what.

The overall point still has been made and you chirping about whether the 2010 Bama's defense was GOAT compared to the 2009 team even though they had 90% of their team back just proves that you dont have a leg to stand on in this argument and is just reaching for nothing.

that 2010 Bama defense was loaded, it was defintely ONE of his greatest defensive unit, if you want to say no the 2009 team was his best, then whatever, the 2010 team was missing how manny players from the 2009 defense???

By the way, anyone that was familiar with Bama knows that the 2010 team was young, and actually lost the majority of its defense.

I dont care about Bama but anyone w/ eyes knows that the 2010 defense was hands down better then both Bama defenses that Johnny Manziel went up against combined.

lol wow you obviously have no point to make..... Obvious mistake but whatever the score was still 24-0 before Cam Newton scored the first TD, 1st half or 2nd half ok so what.

The overall point still has been made and you chirping about whether the 2010 Bama's defense was GOAT compared to the 2009 team even though they had 90% of their team back just proves that you dont have a leg to stand on in this argument and is just reaching for nothing.

that 2010 Bama defense was loaded, it was defintely ONE of his greatest defensive unit, if you want to say no the 2009 team was his best, then whatever, the 2010 team was missing how manny players from the 2009 defense???

2010 Bama defense returned two starters. You're making yourself look foolish here man.

Advertisement
Back