Off Topic - Calvin Ridley's Camaro, courtesy of Alabama...

So many people want to make sweeping changes with the NCAA based on a microscopic percentage of players who are actual stars and actually sell jerseys at like 40 schools in America. You don't create guidelines and changes based on the outliers of a population.

BS!!!

You can pay every scholarship player at Alabama $40-45K a year, and they still wouldn't make as much as Nick Saban...COMBINED!!! The only thing paying players threatens, is these ridiculous administrative & coaching salaries.

What it really threatens is the tennis team, track team, handball, sand volleyball...all the sports who don't actually make money.

There are literally thousands of college football players in America and people pay to watch maybe 200 of them.

This notion that athletes are mistreated is laughable. Again, a miniscule percentage is. The others gain enormous value from their skill, far outweighing what they would make if they were able to go charge for the services elsewhere.

The elite players basically fund the other programs for non-elite players, schools, programs, sports out there.

If I were to make changes it would be to do away with any sort of requirement for staying in school.

Advertisement
These kids fill out FAFSAs. Some of them get Pell Grants. That is a grant for lower income students. It is possible these kids get refund checks back. And then they can take school loans out. School is free, so a little loan aint a big deal.

Ridley's car may have very well been paid for by Bama or their boosters. But this is also very possible.

I used to see football players at NIU driving around in Magnums and Chargers when they first became hot. And I know there were no big time players getting cars bought for them by boosters.

You should've seen some of the cars our players had back some years.

This very well may be his car or one he has access to and the OP's story/source true as well.

The OP has very few posts here and that's typically pointed out when they post something like he did. If it was I heard x, y, and z about Joe Yearby or some recruit, a lot of you would be on him like a fly on ****. Since the post suits the Bama / SEC hate, he's looked at as credible. Funny stuff.

Something else I find hysterical is some poster (I forget who) getting ****y saying people are defending Ridley and Bama. Further saying if it was one of our players, we'd call him out on getting paid, etc. LMFAO, that's downright hysterical and I don't have to say why.

Ridley is at least winning on the field and possibly off of it. Seems he made a good call to go there.

It looks as if you and, the other usual suspect DC Dog Nuts, missed the point in its entirety.
Funny how you folks love to come to defense of other scumbag programs but never to UM's side.

Anyways, I'll help.....re-read the response from someone (DTP) who gets it.
Here, I'll paste it for ya....

These kids fill out FAFSAs. Some of them get Pell Grants. That is a grant for lower income students. It is possible these kids get refund checks back. And then they can take school loans out. School is free, so a little loan aint a big deal.

Ridley's car may have very well been paid for by Bama or their boosters. But this is also very possible.

I used to see football players at NIU driving around in Magnums and Chargers when they first became hot. And I know there were no big time players getting cars bought for them by boosters.

You should've seen some of the cars our players had back some years.

This very well may be his car or one he has access to and the OP's story/source true as well.

The OP has very few posts here and that's typically pointed out when they post something like he did. If it was I heard x, y, and z about Joe Yearby or some recruit, a lot of you would be on him like a fly on ****. Since the post suits the Bama / SEC hate, he's looked at as credible. Funny stuff.

Something else I find hysterical is some poster (I forget who) getting ****y saying people are defending Ridley and Bama. Further saying if it was one of our players, we'd call him out on getting paid, etc. LMFAO, that's downright hysterical and I don't have to say why.

Ridley is at least winning on the field and possibly off of it. Seems he made a good call to go there.
I think the main issue here is pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA, ESPN and pretty much every sports media outlet. They were ready to give the Miami program the death penalty because one dude bought a couple drinks and lapdances for a few players. Meanwhile, there's blatant disregard for NCAA bylaws at other schools and nobody seems to care. Personally, I don't care if Alabama wants to buy Camaros for their players. Just so long as nobody tries to punish Miami when similar situations happen here.

You guys ever see the players' parking lot at greentree? I have over the past 20 years and let's just say that bama ain't the only school doing that kind of stuff. Lulz

Yep, I have. And you are 100% right.

This thread has made it clear that a lot of posters haven't been to campus in a loooonnng time, or ever.

You guys ever see the players' parking lot at greentree? I have over the past 20 years and let's just say that bama ain't the only school doing that kind of stuff. Lulz

Yep, I have. And you are 100% right.

This thread has made it clear that a lot of posters haven't been to campus in a loooonnng time, or ever.

That's what is so funny. Most college students leave college with an insane amount of debt so why anyone is surprised that athletes would do the same is beyond me.

Since this is about Bama (It could be any other school as well), we have people crying foul. If it was about us, the entire thread would have people tripping all over themselves making excuse after excuse.

The final thing is posters taking the OP at his word with around thirty posts. Any other topic and his post would be chalked up as trolling on his post count alone.

If you don't have to pay for room, board, food, clothes or anything else as a college student and receive a monthly stipend (new thing), why is it far fetched to believe a kid leased a $250 per month car?

Don't feel too bad for Saban, though. As it turns out, Alabama's cost of attendance stipends will rank among the leaders nationally at $5,386 for out-of-state players and $4,172 for in-state players, according to information the university provided to CBSSports.com.

Some media reports have listed Alabama's new cost of attendance stipend for players at $2,892. In reality, the number will be much higher. Alabama's out-of-state stipend figure for 2015-16 ranks third among SEC schools based on a CBSSports.com survey; the only SEC schools with higher figures are Tennessee ($5,666) and Auburn ($5,586).

Notice Tennessee? Tennessee uses their stipend as a recruiting tool. 4 years at Tennessee or Bama + over 20k in cash on top of getting everything else for free.

College athletes finally getting some cash - Sep. 4, 2015

Advertisement
So many people want to make sweeping changes with the NCAA based on a microscopic percentage of players who are actual stars and actually sell jerseys at like 40 schools in America. You don't create guidelines and changes based on the outliers of a population.

BS!!!

You can pay every scholarship player at Alabama $40-45K a year, and they still wouldn't make as much as Nick Saban...COMBINED!!! The only thing paying players threatens, is these ridiculous administrative & coaching salaries.

What it really threatens is the tennis team, track team, handball, sand volleyball...all the sports who don't actually make money.

There are literally thousands of college football players in America and people pay to watch maybe 200 of them.

This notion that athletes are mistreated is laughable. Again, a miniscule percentage is. The others gain enormous value from their skill, far outweighing what they would make if they were able to go charge for the services elsewhere.

The elite players basically fund the other programs for non-elite players, schools, programs, sports out there.

If I were to make changes it would be to do away with any sort of requirement for staying in school.

If 85 football players were paid $40k/year athletic departments would be looking at about $3.5mil/year. A power 5 school should have no problem coming up w that without impacting other sports.

Why is it every time a player signs with the $ec, people always assume he got a car, suits, credit cards, cash, an apartment, a job for his family? Guys just love the $ec, it's the best. They'll even adopt you.

god your stupid. are you a 15 year old girl bc you don't know sh*t about how current day recruiting works.
[MENTION=7557]gfer1988[/MENTION]
You can't even read, you stupid ***** crackhead.

and you don't know how to use sarcasm

[MENTION=7557]gfer1988[/MENTION]

Nah, you just mad you didn't get it.

BS!!!

If 85 football players were paid $40k/year athletic departments would be looking at about $3.5mil/year. A power 5 school should have no problem coming up w that without impacting other sports.

Any why would they only pay football players? You know Title XI would never let them get away with that right?

Advertisement
20574_1213361895494_1272186243_3050.jpg

Auburn got Corey Lemonier a Corvette

BS!!!

Any why would they only pay football players? You know Title XI would never let them get away with that right?

Yea I was going to mention title IX. But that just requires scholarship opportunities for women.

Volleyball players aren't generating revenue, so obviously not much argument to pay them.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this or if anyone even cares, but below is a picture of the car that Alabama bought for Calvin Ridley. A friend of mine went to school with Calvin and his brother and knows the family...it has come straight from them that this car was purchased for him by the school in order to go there.

We all know that this is common with the "big" schools and their bag men, but I still find it interesting to see confirmed cases like this...

Did they buy those big giant rims too?

Yall act like he's driving a Bentley. It's a Camaro. It's probably a base model V6 with some years on it. Extremely affordable car and not uncommon among kids. And those little 22's he got on there cost like $800. LOL

If he was in a new Escalade or something like that it would be another story.

Advertisement
It has never been a case of players getting cars even at the D2 level. It has been a case of what the NCAA can prove. If an email paper trail is left or if a booster goes Shapiro then that is when the NCAA goes full force as they have no legal power to make people with no more eligibility talk. That was why the boat rides and 40 meals and a used washing machine for Vince Wilfork was so laughable. It was so small time but Miami got caught. It is not even a morality issue. If you think the coaches don't want to get these kids from poor areas a better way of life your crazy. This is small potatoes compared to all the money that flows into college sports.

But I got to say I am sure it does stress the coaches to no end knowing that these kids have these cars and post stupid pictures.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this or if anyone even cares, but below is a picture of the car that Alabama bought for Calvin Ridley. A friend of mine went to school with Calvin and his brother and knows the family...it has come straight from them that this car was purchased for him by the school in order to go there.

We all know that this is common with the "big" schools and their bag men, but I still find it interesting to see confirmed cases like this...

Bull Sh*t! Bama did not buy that car.

The beauty of getting benefits to athletes is it requires zero fingerprints and paper trails back to the actual institution.

Unless you're an amateur fraud like Shapiro.

Advertisement
Trust me where his parents stay no way in **** they got it. He's from Lincoln park but hey none of my business

shush.. Canescott is his mentor.. He isn't trying to get his golden ticket in trouble.. We got you willy wonka it's our little secret. Ms. Scott

Good for him. If I were these kids I'd be doing the same damned thing. Not their fault the system is ****ed up.

My wife went to college on a full athletic scholarship and took a student loan to buy a car. She may have chose to spend only $3,000 but I don't see what the big deal is if a player spends more. Bagman slip players money, they aren't showing up to car lots and working out deals with salesmen. The bagman game has evolved.

Advertisement
Back