Off top: warriors

"the game is so soft nowadays waaaaahhhhh"

The Warriors would have any of those teams dizzy af from the ball movement they put on display. Its team basketball to the ******* tee. Theyre just a well oiled machine.

No team in NBA history has ever worked together so well.
The spurs in 13’ and 14’ moved the ball and bodies like crazy too but they didn’t have the sure talent as the dubs. We are watching the greatest collection of talent ever assembled on a court.

Advertisement
Even if KD leaves they still will be dominant. You got 2 of the 5 best shooters of all time on the same team in Curry and klay Thompson

Old heads hate seeing new stuff trump the "glory days".
That's an overly-simplistic and weak take. It's not about old heads hating seeing new stuff trump the glory days. it's about people who experienced the game the way it was played back then getting frustrated when the young generation sees this non-stop ISO or huck 3's every time down the court game with teams scoring 120pts on a nightly basis and think these modern teams would have just rolled over the great teams of time's past as a result. No, they wouldn't have, because the game the modern dominating players deploy today wouldn't have worked back then. Hand checking alone would drastically change the game of players like Curry. Michael Jordan got literally assaulted almost every time he had the ball throughout his entire career. Nowadays not only can you not touch an offensive player, you can't even invade their space.

It's like saying current NFL teams that put up 500 passing yards per game would easily go and do that against the great defenses of previous decades in the NFL. No, they absolutely wouldn't have. The NFL has changed the game so much to increase scoring that defenders are completely hamstrung these days. Go back and watch an old game from 15+ years ago. Literally more than half the defense would be ejected by halftime under today's rules.

It's the same sh-t re modern NBA vs the old NBA. The league intentionally changed the rules to increase scoring. They did that by hamstringing defenders. Is that a net positive change? Not to me, but that's all just personal opinion. But these "old heads" you talk down to are simply wise enough from watching the sport over multiple eras to recognize that just because some of the modern dudes' game looks real flashy and effective today, doesn't at all mean they would have easily done the same kinds of things on the court 20+ years ago.

Lmao..name me the 3rd scoring option on that bulls team who could go get 50...in 29 min..I’ll wait
Nobody in the league could get 50 in 29 mins under those rules back then, bud. Not even Jordan. That was my entire point.

Advertisement
Nobody in the league could get 50 in 29 mins under those rules back then, bud. Not even Jordan. That was my entire point.
Are you talking about the vaunted handchecking..really bro..Kenny Smith at 6”3 170 put up 40 In that era..klay is not a iso player..and their was no zoning in that era. Defenses are waaayyyy more complex in today’s game..mark price could drop 40..your point is dumb when I can bring up players who are not as big,skilled or athletic who put up 40 or 50 point games in that era

Defenses are waaayyyy more complex in today’s game

🤣😂🤣😂

Not a single team in today's game has EVER faced a defense like the late 80s Pistons or early 90s Knicks. The modern rules don't allow it. Period.

You brush off handchecking like it's irrelevant. That tells me you're probably young. The point of bringing that up is it is a palpable example of how differently defense was allowed to be played back then. When you played a team like those Knicks I've referenced, you had players like Oakley and McDaniel and Starks who literally had their hands on you the entire game. THE ENTIRE GAME. They were hand checking you 100% of the time, invading your offensive zone 100% of the time, and if you dared to drive you were probably going to have bruises on you somewhere tomorrow. None of that is allowed anymore. The NBA intentionally tweaked the rules to promote scoring. This isn't an opinion, these are facts.

Look, to each their own. If you think a team like GS would have still gone out and put 120pts up on those D's with ease, cool man, you're entitled to your opinion. But dismissing how different the game was back then, or even worse stating that defenses being faced today are way more difficult, is simply foolish.

Last edited:
🤣😂🤣😂

Not a single team in today's game has EVER faced a defense like the late 80s Pistons or early 90s Knicks. The modern rules don't allow it. Period.
And non of those defenses faced the diversity that offense presents today..that’s like Thinking the bears defenses would shut down modern offenses in football..that’s just dumb logic. Players today are More skilled and across the board bigger

Advertisement
And non of those defenses faced the diversity that offense presents today..that’s like Thinking the bears defenses would shut down modern offenses in football..that’s just dumb logic. Players today are More skilled and across the board bigger
Dumb logic?!? The '85 Bears (if they were allowed to play under '85 rules) WOULD shut down modern offenses in football.

🤣😂🤣😂

You brush off handchecking like it's irrelevant. That tells me you're probably young. The point of bringing that up is it is a palpable example of how differently defense was allowed to be played back then. When you played a team like those Knicks I've referenced, you had players like Oakley and McDaniel and Starks who literally had their hands on you the entire game. THE ENTIRE GAME. They were hand checking you 100% of the time, invading your offensive zone 100% of the time, and if you dared to drive you were probably going to have bruises on you somewhere tomorrow. None of that is allowed anymore. The NBA intentionally tweaked the rules to promote scoring. This isn't an opinion, these are facts.

Look, to each their own. If you think a team like GS would have still gone out and put 120pts up on those D's with ease, cool man, you're entitled to your opinion. But dismissing how different the game was back then, or even worse stating that defenses being faced today are way more difficult, is simply foolish.
Lmao offense and defense are more complex today then they were back then. You have hand checking, I give you that. But the way GSW screen and move negates that. They are not a iso team. ..and yes GSW would still put up those numbers because of the style they play and their pace. You act as tho the era and rules gonna change what the dubs do well

You act as tho the era and rules gonna change what the dubs do well
Well, yes, that is my entire point. Players like Curry wouldn't be able to do what they do against those old defensive rules. Not in the same manner anyhow. Your point about athletes being bigger, stronger and faster today is valid. I don't deny that at all. And if the NBA's defense rules had never changed, there would obviously still be **** good teams in today's day and age. Arguably even better teams than those from the older eras. But the DOMINANT players today, if the rules didn't change, would look much more like Lebron than Curry/Harden/Westbrook/Lillard/etc. That later type of player is a biproduct of the league's rule changes.

No, the warriors would not score 110+pts per game with ease vs the 90's knicks like they do pretty much against everyone they play right now. Not even close. You think ball movement, screens and jump shots are something GS invented? C'mon, man. Teams have been running those systems since before I was born. Yes, GS does it extremely well. But the current rules have created an environment that allows that play style to flourish. There's nothing wrong with that. And I have tremendous respect for what GS has accomplished. They don't make the rules, they just have to play in them, and they do it better than anyone else ever has. Again, my entire initial point was simply that you can't really compare a 2019 GS team vs a 1996 Bulls team. The game is so different that neither team is tooled to dominate in the other team's era and rule set.

You make the statement that a change in era and rules won't effect a play style. That makes no sense. That's EXACTLY the effect it has. Heck, there's no better example of that than Wilt Chamberlain. As everyone knows, he scored 100pts in a single game. His scoring average throughout his career was absurd. Why? Because he was the only 7 footer in the league at the time in a game that had no 3 second violation. I don't at all doubt that Wilt was a phenomenal basketball player. But would he have been scoring 100pts a game if he played today? Of course not.

"the game is so soft nowadays waaaaahhhhh"

The Warriors would have any of those teams dizzy af from the ball movement they put on display. Its team basketball to the ******* tee. Theyre just a well oiled machine.

No team in NBA history has ever worked together so well.
Yeah, I'll go on ahead and be that guy, but Jordan's Bulls, Magics Lakers, Birds Celtics, Thomas Pistons, and Hakeems Rockets sweep any Warriors squad.

They'd shut down at least 2 of the warriors 3 top scorers.

Not saying the game is soft nowadays or taking anything from Golden State, either.

Advertisement
Well, yes, that is my entire point. Players like Curry wouldn't be able to do what they do against those old defensive rules. Not in the same manner anyhow. Your point about athletes being bigger, stronger and faster today is valid. I don't deny that at all. And if the NBA's defense rules had never changed, there would obviously still be **** good teams in today's day and age. Arguably even better teams than those from the older eras. But the DOMINANT players today, if the rules didn't change, would look much more like Lebron than Curry/Harden/Westbrook/Lillard/etc. That later type of player is a biproduct of the league's rule changes.

No, the warriors would not score 110+pts per game with ease vs the 90's knicks like they do pretty much against everyone they play right now. Not even close. You think ball movement, screens and jump shots are something GS invented? C'mon, man. Teams have been running those systems since before I was born. Yes, GS does it extremely well. But the current rules have created an environment that allows that play style to flourish. There's nothing wrong with that. And I have tremendous respect for what GS has accomplished. They don't make the rules, they just have to play in them, and they do it better than anyone else ever has. Again, my entire initial point was simply that you can't really compare a 2019 GS team vs a 1996 Bulls team. The game is so different that neither team is tooled to dominate in the other team's era and rule set.

You make the statement that a change in era and rules won't effect a play style. That makes no sense. That's EXACTLY the effect it has. Heck, there's no better example of that than Wilt Chamberlain. As everyone knows, he scored 100pts in a single game. His scoring average throughout his career was absurd. Why? Because he was the only 7 footer in the league at the time in a game that had no 3 second violation. I don't at all doubt that Wilt was a phenomenal basketball player. But would he have been scoring 100pts a game if he played today? Of course not.
Not at all bro. My point by saying the warriors would still be able to play their style in any era is because In ANY ERA klay and Steph are great shooters with Steph being the greatest ever with exceptional handles. In any era KD is 6”11 240 with unlimited range and guard handles and the best off ball threat the game has ever seen. Point is In any era those 3 are a problem. All 3 are a threat to score outside on the perimeter which opens the court. Then you have playmakers like Dray or iggy who have high iqs to play off off them perfectly. All that adds up too is the fact that in any era it would be a open court game with the warriors. We even seen it with the Cavs in 15. Bron tried to play at a snails pace against them. But once GSW went small the game just sped up and floor opened up. The next year the Cavs matched the warriors pace..the bulls advantage of size on the inside would be to their detriment against GSW cause those bigs tryna guard that pick n roll with Steph N dray would be a feast

Now if it was a player like kyrie, Westbrook..or harden who depended so much on a iso game I’d agree. That’s why in the playoffs their efficiency goes way down as the physicality goes up.

Even with hand checking you can’t impede a players movement on the court. That’s were I think ppl get the rule confused. And like I said screens and body movement negates the effectiveness of constant hand checking. Only thing that would slow the GSW warriors down is if you were able to flat out grab them..and even in the 90s that was against the rules

The rise of Offense’s in the NBA and NFL are more of a reflection of the current rules (which favor the Offense (fantasy leagues)) than just talent. By your theory, the Defense would also have more skilled talent than the 80’s athletes, yet playing Defense is becoming more and more non existent in those sports these days. Frankly, the rules are ruining both the games. High watered down scoring becomes boring.

Last edited:
Not at all bro. My point by saying the warriors would still be able to play their style in any era is because In ANY ERA klay and Steph are great shooters with Steph being the greatest ever with exceptional handles. In any era KD is 6”11 240 with unlimited range and guard handles and the best off ball threat the game has ever seen. Point is In any era those 3 are a problem. All 3 are a threat to score outside on the perimeter which opens the court. Then you have playmakers like Dray or iggy who have high iqs to play off off them perfectly. All that adds up too is the fact that in any era it would be a open court game with the warriors. We even seen it with the Cavs in 15. Bron tried to play at a snails pace against them. But once GSW went small the game just sped up and floor opened up. The next year the Cavs matched the warriors pace..the bulls advantage of size on the inside would be to their detriment against GSW cause those bigs tryna guard that pick n roll with Steph N dray would be a feast

Now if it was a player like kyrie, Westbrook..or harden who depended so much on a iso game I’d agree. That’s why in the playoffs their efficiency goes way down as the physicality goes up.

Even with hand checking you can’t impede a players movement on the court. That’s were I think ppl get the rule confused. And like I said screens and body movement negates the effectiveness of constant hand checking. Only thing that would slow the GSW warriors down is if you were able to flat out grab them..and even in the 90s that was against the rules
Fair enough, man. I respect your views. Though I still stand behind mine.

I'll leave you with this clip though just for sh-ts and giggles:

It was such a different game back then.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The rise of Offense’s in the NBA and NFL are more of a reflection of the current rules (which favor the Offense (fantasy leagues)) than just talent. By your theory, the Defense would also have more skilled talent than the 80’s athletes, yet being able to play Defense is becoming more and more non existent in those sports these days. Frankly, the rules are ruining both the games. High watered down scoring becomes boring.
Agree. I am a defense guy, always have been. Doesn't mean it's better, just what I personally prefer. In both basketball and football.

Agree. I am a defense guy, always have been. Doesn't mean it's better, just what I personally prefer. In both basketball and football.

Neither extreme is good. Zero Offense is boring too. That being said, Defense wins championships. I’m a huge Curry fan so I watch the Warriors a lot but they’re at their absolute best when then decide to play Defense.

The rise of Offense’s in the NBA and NFL are more of a reflection of the current rules (which favor the Offense (fantasy leagues)) than just talent. By your theory, the Defense would also have more skilled talent than the 80’s athletes, yet being able to play Defense is becoming more and more non existent in those sports these days. Frankly, the rules are ruining both the games. High watered down scoring becomes boring.
It’s a matter the systems these teams run now and the rules

Neither extreme is good. Zero Offense is boring too. That being said, Defense wins championships. I’m a huge Curry fan so I watch the Warriors a lot but they’re at their absolute best when then decide to play Defense.
I'm a Curry fan too. I have loved watching him since he was at Davidson. Best pure shooter I've ever seen in my life at any level.

I love defense, man. That Ravens team that won the SB was one of my all time favorite squads to watch play (even though I'm not a Baltimore fan). And I'm probably one of the few people on earth who had a blast watching that LSU/Bama 9-6 OT game many moons ago. I thought that game was fantastic!

Advertisement
Back