Observations from this week vs Southern Miss

View as article
Advertisement
I said in an earlier thread the personnel decisions were concerning. 1st and goal from the 1-2 yard line and we hand off to Parrish with Mallory blocking. Granted we scored - but it should be Arroyo blocking for Thad in that situation. Maybe I’m being nit picky.

Advertisement
Don’t care that we played two cupcakes. A ton of red flags exist. And spare me with the “the playbook is vanilla and not opened yet” bull****.

-TVD has regressed
-DBs outside of 24 are buns. What was Stevenson doing?
-defensive alignment pre snap is trash
-Gattis won’t last long here with this midwestern type offense
I'm ****ed as well. I'll make my comments after the Talk game.

Don’t care that we played two cupcakes. A ton of red flags exist. And spare me with the “the playbook is vanilla and not opened yet” bull****.

-TVD has regressed

I think it’s pretty clear this offense is not being coordinated to TVD’s strengths. He hasn’t regressed, his offense has.

The CB’s are putrid

Our DL’s ability to control and pressure the pocket has been meciocre (at best)

Ok, haven't re-watched, but I take notes during the game. I'll unload them here:

TVD.
Most have mentioned it wasn't TVD's best game. He was 21/30 for 263 yards, but frankly, what stood out to me was how late his trigger was on a handful of throws. Supposedly, he mentioned he's going to go throw tonight. He'd know better, but it didn't necessarily seem like his mechanics were at issue. He's not moving his feet in the pocket as well I hoped, but what it seemed like was a massive anticipation/timing issue. Even with a clean pocket, he held the ball a tick or two longer than necessary. The two plays that stand out are (1) the INT that got called back for offsides and (2) the incomplete pass to Key Smith on our sideline. The called-back INT was a poor/late toss. The incomplete pass looked like TVD may have seen a ghost.

- The WRs who were said to be dropping passes in camp haven't dropped a pass (unless I missed one?). But, TVD looked like he struggled to get his timing and rhythm down. This was talked about all offseason. *It is a different type of passing offense.* My biggest fear is that, sure, while it may help TVD's development for the NFL, he wouldn't be playing in a wide open system with a ton of RPOs to help him make quick, predetermined decisions. Let's see what we do next week. Would really love to see more RPOs for TVD's rhythm.

- The RBs are in a **** of a spot on our team. I counted over 15 carries for Parrish where he had to bounce or cut. Overall, he and Thad combined for 35 carries and approximately 4.5 a pop. They grind out yards.

- If this offense is going to look like what it has so far (and I have to suspect it changes some), we cannot win important games unless our RBs pop longer runs. Unfortunately. It probably shouldn't have to be that way, but we ran 81 plays at a 5.5 yards/play clip. Last week's 9 yards/play is irrelevant, IMO. It will not be sufficiently explosive. I can only guess we will make the necessary changes to resolve what we've seen so far. Maybe my guess is just hope. Is Gattis holding stuff back? I doubt many really know. We'll see.

- I don't think we can be "successful" if we run our pass offense through our slot (Restrepo and Smith). I'm sure there are more vertical routes there to be seen, but there just won't be enough pop to the offense. Our longest pass play of the day was to Key Smith, but it was a flea flicker.

- I believe Arroyo has been underutilized so far. The vertical routes Mallory has gotten should go to Arroyo, IMO. On an incomplete pass to Mallory up the seam, I actually think TVD anticipated it decently well and threw tighter to the hash. I'd have to re-watch, but from the endzone view, that looked like it was on Mallory not tightening up his route.

- I'd love to see more of Brinson, Key Smith, and a returning George.

- There will be plenty of threads and posts about our CBs. Almost everyone got punched in the mouth today. Clearly, teams are picking on players.

- Was a pleasure to see a defense with both Wesley and Chase lined up next to each other. Watching Chase anticipate a route and beat the opponent to his spot should stand out on film. Watching Wesley get to spots on the field other players just cannot was fun.

- If I were our opponents, I'd continue to scheme for clearouts for my QB to run wild.

- So far, we've not blitzed as much as I expected we might. I can only guess we will next week? We haven't created enough pressure with our Edge rushers so far.

Let's see how we adjust a number of things going into a monster game next week.
I see them just fine…. It’s either throwing to them when open or throwing at all that concerns me so far…

Jokes aside, WRs were open today. As you said, TVD was off and did not hit them or see them. On the short arm throw to Smith, he also had Franklin on the dump off with Smith ahead of him to block… 20 yard play I bet.

Advertisement
I have been honest about turning from a normal
human to a complete loon on the Game Day board. After reading some of the scores today, I am banning myself from posting on the gameday board.

I was out since three this afternoon and just read the scoreboard. WTF?

Never change game day friends. Embrace the hate.

I think our TE's as a group were underutilized in both games we played. I hope it's by design, not showing much of the playbook before we play TAMU.

Advertisement

-TVD has regressed
He will if that is the type of offense Mario wants to run and is convinced he just needs his guys to do it. I am not saying that is the case, but I’m not so certain it’s black and white. Having said all that, even Saban had his come to Jesus moment against Dabo in that championship game and changed what he wanted in an offense.

Also time to move on from Mallory. Mediocre as ****.
This is a horrible O fit for Mallory. He needs to be split out and use his speed in space. This O just does not fit him. It showcases his weaknesses more than his strengths. Horrible, horrible fit. He knows it, and is struggling like **** to get his head in the game because of it.

Advertisement
This is a horrible O fit for Mallory. He needs to be split out and use his speed in space. This O just does not fit him. It showcases his weaknesses more than his strengths. Horrible, horrible fit. He knows it, and is struggling like **** to get his head in the game because of it.
I dont disagree with you but it's time someone else gets his PT.

-TVD has regressed
I have to say this. There was a reason a lot of fans wanted an offensive minded head coach. Mario talks a good game. Mario runs a good program. Mario is a good figurehead. Mario is not a good game day coach. Mario does not get the most out of the talent at his disposal.

Now I sure hope he gets things turned around, but this team looks boring as **** so far. We're going to get the crap kicked out of us a few times if we don't pull our heads out of our asses. I saw what happened to Mario's Ducks last year, and it will happen to us. It's just a matter of time.

I don’t think our staff cares that this offense is boring to watch, it’s meant to be. On good days it will wear down the D and then we’ll get the fun plays. But their primary goal is to grind down the other team physically. If there’s going to be any flash this year it’ll be us running our regular *** plays and the other team f*cking up.

As long as we win, I can live with that but it won’t be pretty.

I have to say this. There was a reason a lot of fans wanted an offensive minded head coach. Mario talks a good game. Mario runs a good program. Mario is a good figurehead. Mario is not a good game day coach. Mario does not get the most out of the talent at his disposal.

Now I sure hope he gets things turned around, but this team looks boring as **** so far. We're going to get the crap kicked out of us a few times if we don't pull our heads out of our asses. I saw what happened to Mario's Ducks last year, and it will happen to us. It's just a matter of time.

If I wanted to see a boring assed run run run game like Michigan - I'll just watch Michigan. They win a few here and there with that crap.

I want to see Miami football!

This is wretched!

Advertisement
Back