Observations from Sideline (FSU)

Advertisement
Attended the game with a field pass of sorts. I'll keep the details light and won't mention names because that's an abuse of privilege and this stuff isn't anything the entire world hasn't already noticed anyway, but by golly it's a bleak state of affairs right now. I spent all night trying to find one player who gave a **** and never found one. Team was totally checked-out from start to finish, didn't want to be there --and dare I say even spiteful. Spiteful meaning crewmen who are glad the ship's going down just to spite the captain. Coaching staff had lots of energy. And you saw that contrast manifest in multiple instances of players walking away from positional coaches as they got chewed out. My "inside look" to the sideline for one game doesn't extend to the locker room, practices, and meetings, so I won't pretend to know who is to blame. But I no longer have any doubt that it's true the players and coaches on this team are not on the same page and not getting along. There is a major rift. In my opinion, both sides are probably to blame because that's how real life works. CMC and Staff have probably mismanaged some aspects of keeping the locker room and/or getting the players to buy-in; but on the other hand, no excuse for the players to not be trying or caring at home against FSU even if for selfish reasons only. Just very disheartening and frustrating.

Attended the game with a field pass of sorts. I'll keep the details light and won't mention names because that's an abuse of privilege and this stuff isn't anything the entire world hasn't already noticed anyway, but by golly it's a bleak state of affairs right now. I spent all night trying to find one player who gave a **** and never found one. Team was totally checked-out from start to finish, didn't want to be there --and dare I say even spiteful. Spiteful meaning crewmen who are glad the ship's going down just to spite the captain. Coaching staff had lots of energy. And you saw that contrast manifest in multiple instances of players walking away from positional coaches as they got chewed out. My "inside look" to the sideline for one game doesn't extend to the locker room, practices, and meetings, so I won't pretend to know who is to blame. But I no longer have any doubt that it's true the players and coaches on this team are not on the same page and not getting along. There is a major rift. In my opinion, both sides are probably to blame because that's how real life works. CMC and Staff have probably mismanaged some aspects of keeping the locker room and/or getting the players to buy-in; but on the other hand, no excuse for the players to not be trying or caring at home against FSU even if for selfish reasons only. Just very disheartening and frustrating.
I think the game was over after FSU's third series. The defense on the first series actually should have been off the field (PI penalty) with a 3 and out. So yes at that point finding a player that gave a **** was probably impossible. This team is mentally and physically soft.

I dont think the team would have had the same offensive issues under Dorsey as they are having under Gattis, thus they would have bought in leading to a better overall record.
Quite possibly not, but we've also had a lot of injuries. We only have 6 O linemen available and have had to play a true freshman. It's hard to scheme around that.

It's weird because this team showed effort in losses to A&M and UNC, but they've laid 3 complete eggs in MTSU, Duke, and FSU where we didn't even bother to try.
The Golden affect. We put too much emphasis on A&M and lost. Team was already questioning the O scheme. That scheme laid and egg in an incredibly winnable game and lost. That game sealed our fate.
Remember how FSU broke every Golden team? That was A&M this year. They absolutely have mailed it in and pushing back.

Advertisement
Took you this long to figure this out?

I mostly agree but he also wasn't able to make them care. I'm not sure if Mario doesn't have a deft enough touch or he just miscalculated, but I can see how his heavy-handed approach probably turned off the players Manny recruited, which has led to this mutiny.
A heavy handed approach is needed when dealing with entitled divas. As someone else mentioned, Mario is not the first coach most of these guys quit on. Then you had years of Manny not instilling passion and discipline...remember, many of these same players were dancing and playing around on the sidelines while losing or squeaking out wins against lowly opponents last year. No pride or will to win, just having fun. Those attitudes need a 180 degree change right away. Either they change or they work themselves out of playing time. Yes, results in pain this year but the staff will know who is or who isnt bought in for next year, and where wholesale replacements are needed. Some of those kids act like they are playing in some football rec league just for fun.

Advertisement
Back