nuggets from Barry Jackson on ed reed

I agree with Reed, I'm sure he looks at guys like Blake Baker when making statements pertaining to this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job
C'mon man, You forget Bird didn't have to wait in line.There are several others on the Celtics that never had to wait. We know what this is about.

even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job

And a ton of them don't...there's no hard and fast rule...If you have the aptitude ....you can do the job....without having to wait in line

Most importantly, they do as well, usually better, than the ones that work their way up

The following players had NO coaching experience b4 becoming HC:

Russell, Bird, Jerry Sloan, Isiah Thomas, Majic, Jason Kidd, Doc Rivers, Mark D'Antoine, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Mike Dunleavy retired, was reactivated then became HC

Having to wait your turn is BS. It all depends on who's in line. You go with the one with better skills ....not who's been waiting in line the longest

I'm all for passing up a more experienced Daffy, Goofy or Manny who's been waiting in line for someone who's better. If you really want to win, you'd be too

Nothing has 100% certainty...but spotting a smart player with strong leadership skills who knows the game inside out at the highest level, with the acumen and be trusted as a coach on the field, deeply involved in plan game planning seems a lot easier than hoping some clown grows into the job.

You can hire assistants to help wherever you have experience deficiencies....isn't that what all coaches do now anyway?

Last edited:
Advertisement
And a ton of them don't...there's no hard and fast rule...If you have the aptitude you can do the job.without waiting

Most importantly, they do as well as the ones that work their way up

The following players had NO coaching experience b4 becoming HC:

Russell, Bird, Jerry Sloan, Isiah Thomas, Majic, Jason Kidd, Doc Rivers, Mark D'Antoine, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Mike Dunleavy retired, was reactivated then became HC

Having to wait your turn is BS.

Nothing has 100% certainty...but spotting a smart player with strong leadership skills who knows the game inside out at the highest level, with the acumen and be trusted as a coach on the field, deeply involved in plan game planning seems a lot easier than hoping some clown grows into the job.

You can hire assistants to help wherever you have deficiencies....isn't that what all coaches do now anyway?

ok. so what evidence do we have that ed reed or anyone else will be a good coach but just wants to get a shot bc he was great on the field? a lot of those guys who jumped the line sucked as coaches (Jason Kidd, mchale, Derek fisher, etc.). even primetime coached HS for a while before getting a shot as a D2 coach. Ken Dorsey is working his way up the ladder and is in line for an NFL OC job soon. also, nice of you to include sloan not realizing he was a ******* assistant coach in the NBA before getting the HC job. idk who mark dantoine is but mike dantoni HCed in Europe before coming to the NBA as an assistant w the nuggets.

you guys are just okay with it bc its ed reed, but when its insert player A, you clown them bc you don't like them. hiring an inexperienced coach no matter what is risky. id rather have a dude w some background in coaching vs a dude w absolutely nothing (idc if he was a hall of fame level player or a scrub). also, we don't know anything about ed reed being trusted as a coach on the field. he isnt willing to even give it a real shot.

Agree. Let him jump someone else's line though.

ok. so what evidence do we have that ed reed or anyone else will be a good coach but just wants to get a shot bc he was great on the field? a lot of those guys who jumped the line sucked as coaches (Jason Kidd, mchale, Derek fisher, etc.). even primetime coached HS for a while before getting a shot as a D2 coach. Ken Dorsey is working his way up the ladder and is in line for an NFL OC job soon.

you guys are just okay with it bc its ed reed, but when its insert player A, you clown them bc you don't like them. hiring an inexperienced coach no matter what is risky. id rather have a dude w some background in coaching vs a dude w absolutely nothing (idc if he was a hall of fame level player or a scrub). also, we don't know anything about ed reed being trusted as a coach on the field. he isnt willing to even give it a real shot.

YES, TRUE......No one can doubt that Ed Reed is very special and throughout his career has elevated his talents and has done everything it takes to win ( Including always raising everyone around him level of play). He has always completely known the opposing team inside out and prepares accordingly. He has ALL of the skills that it takes to be a very good HC...except experience.

You can always easily hire assistants with good experience. Ed would not play games with the players and would ALWAYS insist on excellence regardless of previous friendship. Unlike many coaches today..He is only interested in the bottom line.

I really do understand anyone's fear in doing this just because .....IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. That doesn't mean that it will undoubtably fail.

IMO almost any coaching choice other than Saban and about 5 others is risky. None of these other coaches will be a guaranteed success, Look at Harbaugh at Michigan

BUT...Our hiring of HC's in recent years has been **** poor....having the same group selecting a new one will also inevitably be very risky.

I have more confidence in his success than any of our recent hires..

YES, TRUE......No one can doubt that Ed Reed is very special and throughout his career has elevated his talents and has done everything it takes to win ( Including always raising everyone around him level of play). He has always completely known the opposing team inside out and prepares accordingly. He has ALL of the skills that it takes to be a very good HC...except experience.

You can always easily hire assistants with good experience. Ed would not play games with the players and would ALWAYS insist on excellence regardless of previous friendship. Unlike many coaches today..He is only interested in the bottom line.

I really do understand anyone's fear in doing this just because .....IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. That doesn't mean that it will undoubtably fail.

IMO almost any coaching choice other than Saban and about 5 others is risky. None of these other coaches will be a guaranteed success, Look at Harbaugh at Michigan

BUT...Our hiring of HC's in recent years has been **** poor....having the same group selecting a new one will also inevitably be very risky.

I have more confidence in his success than any of our recent hires..

he has all the skills to be a very good hC bc...? he played? is that it? come on, man. you know more often than not that it doesn't translate into coaching success. he was a beast of a player but to say hes got everything to be a great HC without any shred of evidence that he can even coach nor really willing to do so is a stretch. hes done everything it takes to be a great player. he hasn't done **** to be a great coach. now, will someone give him a shot? so far no and hes not willing to even get his foot in the coaching door so to speak as an assistant somewhere. he tried the assistant db coach for a bit under Ryan and never went back that route.

Mike vrabel was coaching linebackers on that ohio st team golden beat in 2011 did the same with the Texans and eventually became a D coordinator there then head coach with the titans. As far as HOF players who worked as position coaches, Mike Singletary, Kevin Greene (RIP) , Rod Woodson have all done it. If he really wants to be a coordinator right away he may have to do it a smaller program.

Ed may be looking at his teammate in baltimore Jim leonhard as D coordinator for wisconsin and saying to himself I can do that too, but even he coached DBs for a year there first

Advertisement
There is
he has all the skills to be a very good hC bc...? he played? is that it? come on, man. you know more often than not that it doesn't translate into coaching success. he was a beast of a player but to say hes got everything to be a great HC without any shred of evidence that he can even coach nor really willing to do so is a stretch. hes done everything it takes to be a great player. he hasn't done **** to be a great coach. now, will someone give him a shot? so far no and hes not willing to even get his foot in the coaching door so to speak as an assistant somewhere. he tried the assistant db coach for a bit under Ryan and never went back that route.

What qualities do you think makes a good HC? I'm interested to know

It's not just him being a great player...although that does give you a major insight into what it takes for a player to improve and become a smart player.

Great coaches have a vision of what qualities and what/how they want to team to be. They can see things better than they are and help others to buy into that vision. They take the steps that inspires others toward that vision, so that his vision is embedded into their DNA.

IMO these are some and not in any order of importance that I feel ..and from other sources
  • Knowing who you actually are. Good coaches recognise their strengths and weaknesses. ...
  • Patience. ...
  • Leadership. ...
  • Good communication skills. ...
  • Positivity. ...
  • Passion. ...
  • Perseverance. ...
  • Competitiveness. Players draw competitive fire from their coaches, and coaches must have a competitive desire to draw out what they see in players. ...
  • Focus. ...
  • Field vision understands what is happening on field and why it's happening
  • Adapts and adjust to reality on the field on the fly, makes changes when necessary
  • Ability to bounce back
  • Composure. ...
  • Positive thinking. ...
  • Doesn't panic or give up
  • Has team building abilities..
  • Recognizes his team's weaknesses and adapts and/or takes steps to reduce and eliminate or adapts to compensate
IMO Ed has all of them.

There is

What qualities do you think makes a good HC? I'm interested to know

It's not just him being a great player...although that does give you a major insight into what it takes for a player to improve and become a smart player.

Great coaches have a vision of what qualities and what/how they want to team to be. They can see things better than they are and help others to buy into that vision. They take the steps that inspires others toward that vision, so that his vision is embedded into their DNA.

IMO these are some and not in any order of importance that I feel ..and from other sources
  • Knowing who you actually are. Good coaches recognise their strengths and weaknesses. ...
  • Patience. ...
  • Leadership. ...
  • Good communication skills. ...
  • Positivity. ...
  • Passion. ...
  • Perseverance. ...
  • Competitiveness. Players draw competitive fire from their coaches, and coaches must have a competitive desire to draw out what they see in players. ...
  • Focus. ...
  • Field vision understands what is happening on field and why it's happening
  • Adapts and adjust to reality on the field on the fly, makes changes when necessary
  • Ability to bounce back
  • Composure. ...
  • Positive thinking. ...
  • Doesn't panic or give up
  • Has team building abilities..
  • Recognizes his team's weaknesses and adapts and/or takes steps to reduce and eliminate or adapts to compensate
IMO Ed has all of them.
ok well just agree to disagree

Advertisement
Mike vrabel was coaching linebackers on that ohio st team golden beat in 2011 did the same with the Texans and eventually became a D coordinator there then head coach with the titans. As far as HOF players who worked as position coaches, Mike Singletary, Kevin Greene (RIP) , Rod Woodson have all done it. If he really wants to be a coordinator right away he may have to do it a smaller program.

Ed may be looking at his teammate in baltimore Jim leonhard as D coordinator for wisconsin and saying to himself I can do that too, but even he coached DBs for a year there first
we all clown on Deion and Jackson state and such, but even he put in time as a coach on the youth level and then as an assistant in HS. Deion obviously is one of the best to ever play the game as well

ok. so what evidence do we have that ed reed or anyone else will be a good coach but just wants to get a shot bc he was great on the field? a lot of those guys who jumped the line sucked as coaches (Jason Kidd, mchale, Derek fisher, etc.). even primetime coached HS for a while before getting a shot as a D2 coach. Ken Dorsey is working his way up the ladder and is in line for an NFL OC job soon. also, nice of you to include sloan not realizing he was a ******* assistant coach in the NBA before getting the HC job. idk who mark dantoine is but mike dantoni HCed in Europe before coming to the NBA as an assistant w the nuggets.

He was a coach on the field in 2000 & 2001

not sure what you’re referring to when you said ... mad bc a first time HC... never said anything along those lines!
I understand your point and my post said that normally I agree.
NO, I wouldn’t hire Lawrence Taylor or Julius Peppers or any GOAT that we all know was superior simply because God made them a freak. I also wouldn’t have these sentiments about 97% of former players. BUT ED REED! Ed Reed was a solid-really good athlete, but what made Reed the greatest safety ever was film study, toughness, grit, mental fortitude, and LEADERSHIP! I think those traits are all major check marks when it comes to hiring a coach. Then when you add his football iq and experiences on the sideline, this dude along with maybe 5 others get a pass!
you're selling lt's football iq and knowledge of the game criminally short. dude was far more than a physical freak. he knew belichick's system inside and out to the point where he could fall asleep in meetings, wake up, and diagram the entire defensive gameplan that he slept through. probably would've been an incredible coach if he chose to go that route and kept his head on straight.

Advertisement
Back