nuggets from Barry Jackson on ed reed

hoops156

Senior
Here’s one reason UM chief of staff Ed Reed isn’t on the Canes’ coaching staff: Simply being a position coach apparently doesn’t appeal to him.

“I’m not a position coach, man. I can coach positions but no,” he told The Baltimore Beatdown podcast when asked about potentially working on John Harbaugh’s Ravens staff.

[Young players] haven’t played the game and just won’t even hear my voice putting me at a position coach. My voice won’t even be heard. So that’s why I tweeted about being a [defensive coordinator] or head coach. I know what I’m capable of, I know what I aspire for. You gotta know your worth.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article249125295.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Dank nuggets.

Reed sure thinks highly of himself. He's got the best instincts of any player ever, but perhaps he should become an anolis and work his way up the coaching ranks if he aspires to be an HC.
Why
He can’t start off as head coach first
Why can’t he start 1AA level , same as Deion
Maybe FSU ....
🤪🥸

Advertisement
Seems to me there's a lot more than just "coaching" when it comes to managing a complex organization like a D1 or NFL team. He may have that talent, but most orgs would likely want to see proof of that capability before handing over the keys... Hope he gets to prove it...

Seems to me there's a lot more than just "coaching" when it comes to managing a complex organization like a D1 or NFL team. He may have that talent, but most orgs would likely want to see proof of that capability before handing over the keys... Hope he gets to prove it...

part of proving it is working up the ranks in coaching. very rarely do you just get handed keys to an entire defense or team without real prior experience.

This ain't basketball. You can't jump the line like that.
even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job

Advertisement
Recruit, Coach up and develop a lock down Secondary and then you get a DC position. Do well there and then HC. He had to put in time to become the player he became. He has to put in work to become a DC and HC. Even Steve Nash admitted it wasn't fair that he was given a Superstar team as a first time coach.

even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job
Wait, Juwon Howard is the HC of Michigan basketball?

Advertisement
Wait, Juwon Howard is the HC of Michigan basketball?

yes. but it wasn't like he was handed the job bc hes a Michigan legend. he spent time as an assistant with the heat before getting that opportunity. Patrick Ewing spent forever as an assistant before getting an HC gig with Georgetown. even ty Lue was an assistant before getting the Cavs HC gig

So can we put to rest the whole lets make Ed Reed the safeties coach or on field coach thing now? I mean he said it himself.
it always seemed from the outside that this gig is perfect for his lifestyle (which is fine with me). he can spend time with his family and still be involved. it seems that he'd only disrupt it for the worthwhile opportunity, which again is perfectly fine. he earned his lifestyle

Advertisement
yes. but it wasn't like he was handed the job bc hes a Michigan legend. he spent time as an assistant with the heat before getting that opportunity. Patrick Ewing spent forever as an assistant before getting an HC gig with Georgetown. even ty Lue was an assistant before getting the Cavs HC gig
I get all of that. I didn't know Juwon was the HC hahaa. I knew Ewing was an assistant as i've ran into him in Charlotte a few times taking clients out. I didn't know he was now HC at Georgetown either. Good for both of them. That's awesome

it always seemed from the outside that this gig is perfect for his lifestyle (which is fine with me). he can spend time with his family and still be involved. it seems that he'd only disrupt it for the worthwhile opportunity, which again is perfectly fine. he earned his lifestyle
This is exactly spot on

Advertisement
Back