nuggets from Barry Jackson on ed reed

Advertisement
Ed has to put the sweat, disappointment, decision making, and failures in.............before being given the keys to Coaching a the team.
This applies to great athletes and even to the GOAT Ed.........

Love and respect, but earn your stripes bruh.....nothing is handed to you.....just like any other Coach.

Approach this like your work for making a spot on the Canes...........work, sweat, show your sh{t, and prove your worth, then everything will fall in place.

Tweeting, and Press releasing, plus jumping the line, will not make it happen, or allow teams to take you seriously..

Love Ed, one of my favorite players ever. But I don't think he's ready to grind 60-80 hours a week for a coordinator or HC role. Looks like he's enjoying himself on IG and the cigar business. Honestly, I think the role he is in is perfect for him or he would crush it in the media.

Advertisement
Love Ed, one of my favorite players ever. But I don't think he's ready to grind 60-80 hours a week for a coordinator or HC role. Looks like he's enjoying himself on IG and the cigar business. Honestly, I think the role he is in is perfect for him or he would crush it in the media.
This is the line of inquiry I’d take with ER if I was his friend.

“What do you want out of coaching? What level of life investment is worth it to you to achieve those results? Is devoting the next 20 years of your life to those results what you want to do?”

I would never answer for ER, but if it’s not willing to spend at least as long as he played in the League working even harder than he did then he should find something else to do.

I would like to ask a question. If you had to win one game and your actual life depended on it, would you rather have Ed Reed or Manny Diaz calling the plays? Just want to get a feel for the confidence you have in each of them as a defensive football expert.

Calling which defense, though?

Calling plays is separate from implementing/teaching a scheme.

I would like to ask a question. If you had to win one game and your actual life depended on it, would you rather have Ed Reed or Manny Diaz calling the plays? Just want to get a feel for the confidence you have in each of them as a defensive football expert.

How could one answer when not knowing anything about Ed Reed's coaching philosophy?

Coaching in season is a 7 day a week, 16-20 hour day job. Most DC will put in that many hours by Thursday/Friday and they will have to 2 more days to go.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This doesn’t apply to the defensive side but I do remember Mallory getting held on his routes and was getting mad about it because Manny and his boys weren’t saying **** about it then ER stepped to the ref and the very next play the flag came out. In all honesty, I don’t think ER could do any worse than Manny and this is The U so who knows, ER could be the HC after the Bama game and a 10 minute coaching search.

Coaching in college is an incestuous fraternity.... you got to kiss your way in...

..even the the most inept find themselves cashing in with cushy deals regardless of performance.
As long as you suck up to and protect the fraternity, you will make more change than most other professions.

I agree with much of what everyone is saying.... but let’s be honest, there’s a handful number of guys that have forgotten more than 90% of these coaches will ever learn.
Reed, Manning and Brady are a few of these guys. Are you seriously telling me that if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning wanted to run an offense you’d tell them to get in line and wait... ‘earn it’ like everyone else??? These cats are DIFFERENT! Their instincts may have made them special but their instincts benefited DRASTICALLY from a DIFFERENT LEVEL OF PREPARATION, the type of the elite coaches.
I understand the whole ‘get your feet wet’ and make your mistakes with experience, type deal... but I do agree with Reed as far as telling him HE needs to be someone’s position coach first is sorta hilarious. Reed is one of those different kinds... A PROVEN mind AND leader! His opportunity may not come at a Miami, but I’m pretty sure it’ll come sooner than later now that he’s voiced his feelings on the topic.

Advertisement
Dank nuggets.

Reed sure thinks highly of himself. He's got the best instincts of any player ever, but perhaps he should become an anolis and work his way up the coaching ranks if he aspires to be an HC.

Ed lives a good life. Money in the bank, cigars in the humidor, good bourbon in the liquor cabinet—and a stress-free gig with UM.

Even if he got promoted to Defensive Coordinator at UM, he's still sitting in 17-year olds' living rooms and trying to out-recruit big money programs like Alabama and Georgia, who spend millions annually on recruiting.

Dude isn't looking for that kind of responsibility at this phase of life, He wants to hang out, golf and do Instagram Live videos.

Here’s one reason UM chief of staff Ed Reed isn’t on the Canes’ coaching staff: Simply being a position coach apparently doesn’t appeal to him.

“I’m not a position coach, man. I can coach positions but no,” he told The Baltimore Beatdown podcast when asked about potentially working on John Harbaugh’s Ravens staff.

[Young players] haven’t played the game and just won’t even hear my voice putting me at a position coach. My voice won’t even be heard. So that’s why I tweeted about being a [defensive coordinator] or head coach. I know what I’m capable of, I know what I aspire for. You gotta know your worth.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article249125295.html#storylink=cpy
👆and that is the rest of the story...

even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job
Steve Kerr, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale all became head coaches without ever being assistants.

Recruit, Coach up and develop a lock down Secondary and then you get a DC position. Do well there and then HC. He had to put in time to become the player he became. He has to put in work to become a DC and HC. Even Steve Nash admitted it wasn't fair that he was given a Superstar team as a first time coach.
If I recall Nash worked with the warriors in some capacity for a few also. At least he had some hands on coaching experience. Ed might’ve been off the Hen n milds

Advertisement
Back