nuggets from Barry Jackson on ed reed

even w basketball, a ton of guys work through the ranks. the two notable ones that didn't are Nash and Kidd (recent memory). a lot of guys catch on as assistants and work their way up the bench. even juwon Howard was a heat assistant for a number of years before he got the Michigan HC job
Derek Fisher
Steve Kerr
Penny Hardaway
Chris Mullin

Just off the top of my head.

Advertisement
Derek Fisher
Steve Kerr
Penny Hardaway
Chris Mullin

Just off the top of my head.

Kerr spent time as an executive with the suns at least. there was some high level NBA background. penny did coach prior to Memphis. he was an assistant and then an HC at the HS level before getting the tigers job. Mullen spent time w the warriors in the executive dept there in numerous roles before getting the SJU job

fisher really got lucky with the Knicks job bc of Phil Jackson but the list really isnt large.

Steve Kerr, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale all became head coaches without ever being assistants.

kerr was front office executive with the suns prior to the warriors job. mchale was an executive and then took over as HC when they fired Saunders midseason. he then stepped back and hired another coach before firing that coach and taking over bc he was an executive with the wolves before

I agree with much of what everyone is saying.... but let’s be honest, there’s a handful number of guys that have forgotten more than 90% of these coaches will ever learn.
Reed, Manning and Brady are a few of these guys. Are you seriously telling me that if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning wanted to run an offense you’d tell them to get in line and wait... ‘earn it’ like everyone else??? These cats are DIFFERENT! Their instincts may have made them special but their instincts benefited DRASTICALLY from a DIFFERENT LEVEL OF PREPARATION, the type of the elite coaches.
I understand the whole ‘get your feet wet’ and make your mistakes with experience, type deal... but I do agree with Reed as far as telling him HE needs to be someone’s position coach first is sorta hilarious. Reed is one of those different kinds... A PROVEN mind AND leader! His opportunity may not come at a Miami, but I’m pretty sure it’ll come sooner than later now that he’s voiced his feelings on the topic.

so you'll be happy with hiring a guy with no experience as a coach bc he was a GOAT player, but mad bc a first time HC, long time assistant got a job? lolllllllll. just bc the player was great doesn't mean they'll be an amazing coach

kerr was front office executive with the suns prior to the warriors job. mchale was an executive and then took over as HC when they fired Saunders midseason. he then stepped back and hired another coach before firing that coach and taking over bc he was an executive with the wolves before

Being an executive has nothing to do with coaching.

Advertisement
All this Ed Reed can be a Dc now stuff is nonsense. He needs to start as an assistant to DeMarcus Van Dyke, learn the ropes and work his way up!

Bubba J What GIF by Jeff Dunham

Love Ed, one of my favorite players ever. But I don't think he's ready to grind 60-80 hours a week for a coordinator or HC role. Looks like he's enjoying himself on IG and the cigar business. Honestly, I think the role he is in is perfect for him or he would crush it in the media.

You think it’s only 60 to 80 hours a week? Think again. Those are mid-level successful executive hours (in most industries). Most weeks it’s much more than that, especially during the season.

There are many fcs schools doing a lot worse than Ed Reed at dc.

He just needs experience game planning without the high stakes pressure.

If anyone could do it, I think he could. As a dc though.

Advertisement
so you'll be happy with hiring a guy with no experience as a coach bc he was a GOAT player, but mad bc a first time HC, long time assistant got a job? lolllllllll. just bc the player was great doesn't mean they'll be an amazing coach
not sure what you’re referring to when you said ... mad bc a first time HC... never said anything along those lines!
I understand your point and my post said that normally I agree.
NO, I wouldn’t hire Lawrence Taylor or Julius Peppers or any GOAT that we all know was superior simply because God made them a freak. I also wouldn’t have these sentiments about 97% of former players. BUT ED REED! Ed Reed was a solid-really good athlete, but what made Reed the greatest safety ever was film study, toughness, grit, mental fortitude, and LEADERSHIP! I think those traits are all major check marks when it comes to hiring a coach. Then when you add his football iq and experiences on the sideline, this dude along with maybe 5 others get a pass!

He can say whatever he wants to. He’s earned that right. Now if he wants to work as a DC or a head coach, he’ll have to do more. My opinion, but hey, nothing would surprise me.

Why
He can’t start off as head coach first
Why can’t he start 1AA level , same as Deion
Maybe FSU ....
🤪🥸
Sanders will be like a dad youth coach. His younger son will be a freshman quarterback. His older son just transferred from South Carolina. ***** him. He's a Nole.

not sure what you’re referring to when you said ... mad bc a first time HC... never said anything along those lines!
I understand your point and my post said that normally I agree.
NO, I wouldn’t hire Lawrence Taylor or Julius Peppers or any GOAT that we all know was superior simply because God made them a freak. I also wouldn’t have these sentiments about 97% of former players. BUT ED REED! Ed Reed was a solid-really good athlete, but what made Reed the greatest safety ever was film study, toughness, grit, mental fortitude, and LEADERSHIP! I think those traits are all major check marks when it comes to hiring a coach. Then when you add his football iq and experiences on the sideline, this dude along with maybe 5 others get a pass!
The list of HoF type players who made successful head coaches is a very short list.

Advertisement
How could one answer when not knowing anything about Ed Reed's coaching philosophy?
. Do you think he would run a risky blitz happy feast or famine scheme like the one we do? Do you think a guy known as an cerebral football player would have an unsound defensive philosophy? Peyton Manning has said he hated playing against him because he knew where the ball was going 90 percent of the time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would like to ask a question. If you had to win one game and your actual life depended on it, would you rather have Ed Reed or Manny Diaz calling the plays? Just want to get a feel for the confidence you have in each of them as a defensive football expert.
I want Ed Reed making the play and until he shows he can translate his instincts,work ethic and film study to other players by rising through the coaching ranks that's what I want

Advertisement
Back