Now what ?

@Cribby - I'll say it again. We will know everything we need to know by 4:00PM EDT on September 18th. The App State and Michigan State games will provide all the data we'll need to evaluate this season.

App State will play aggressively and bring some trick plays but UM will be able to out-athlete them. Michigan State will be a solid match in the trenches and be competent all around. If we see two solid wins then we'll know. (Solid not just in final score but in the way we play). If not, then I expect the servers where we host this board to start overheating. lol

Advertisement
Don't get emotional. App St is a huge game for Miami, as Miami is no more relevant than the App States of college football. The evidence for that is decades of never winning a mediocre conference nor competing for anything resembling a national championship. Log out.
Oh now it’s “we’re no more relevant” instead of “they’re a good team” like it was yesterday?

Why don’t you find your balls and admit you didn’t know Cahse Brice was their starting QB instead of moving the goal posts.

I'd go with Brent as Watson was short-lived (2 years). Sure it got them a natty and over the hump but Brent, Tony, and Dabo have been together for 10 years. That helps create a constant in their culture. Just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for another natty with an Elite QB but I'd more than welcome multiple natties with a constant coaching staff that lands enough elite kids to compete every year.
Wouldnt disagree. After Dado was trashed 70-something by WVA in the OB he saw the light and took advantage of a power struggle at OU and snapped up BV. This solidified the defense, for the most part.

Watson was catalyst that put Clemson over the hump. They beat LSU the Peach Bowl as an underdog, and started to roll.

We are a laughingstock. We play with jewelry down 27-0 and look like a little kid who’s mommy told him no video games for a month when they take it away.
This is my main problem with this program and culture. That **** chain should never be brought out or celebrated when your down 27 getting your teeth kicked in. There is no substance. All talk and nothing to back it up.

Advertisement
@Cribby - I'll say it again. We will know everything we need to know by 4:00PM EDT on September 18th. The App State and Michigan State games will provide all the data we'll need to evaluate this season.

App State will play aggressively and bring some trick plays but UM will be able to out-athlete them. Michigan State will be a solid match in the trenches and be competent all around. If we see two solid wins then we'll know. (Solid not just in final score but in the way we play). If not, then I expect the servers where we host this board to start overheating. lol
Yep. In previous years we know what would happen after this loss. Just like I said I’d be able to tell in a handful of plays what kind of day we’d have Saturday lol. That’s all it took.

@Cribby- Manny took over a roster that had around 60 P5 kids and some of those may have been more G5. It is a ton harder to enforce rules when you don't have an actual Plan B. Year 3, Manny better realize he has 75-80 P5 kids. He has to build that culture of "we won't take losing." I see the Scaife replacement with Justice as a good sign. Same with Couch over Ivey. Same with Chaney over Cam. They can keep playing Scaife, Ivey, Cam but everyone in the world including the kids on roster know who should be playing.

Advertisement
At least some people can be rational here, well said.
In defense of many of the fans who post on this board, we’ve suffered a long time. I’ll give the OP credit for being rational too but like he said we’ve seen this movie before. I didn’t think we would beat Bama. What I hoped for was to see some improvement by the players and coaches and for them to show recruits we’re heading in the right direction. I didn’t see that Saturday. What I saw was a 7 or 8 win team.

While I was disappointed in the overall performance, I walked away thinking this team has some talent. Talent tends to win football games. While we are by no means Bama Elite, we are a top 20 team and our OL 2nd-4th quarter held their own against the best front 7 in the nation. The DL from the 2nd quarter on did very well against the run. Our pass rushing will need some work but Bama's OL is top 3 in the nation. When Couch/TS played CB, we looked really good. Kam and Williams looked the part. K Smith, Flagg, Gil need some quality support (Brooks, Cave, Chase Smith/Carter). Then we hopefully see some LT flashes over the next 11 games.

The next 2 games will determine if Manny has set the correct culture to Win over the last 8 months. It doesn't hurt to have a stable force like KING in the lockeroom. He isn't going to be the Elite QB to get us a Natty but he could be our Tajh Boyd that sets the stage for Garcia/TVD to take us to the Elite level.

Its my team forever and I'll blindly root for them every week but since Coker? Our program culture has eroded . Every head coach has contributed in making it worse....
Being honest its amazing what this program did for 20 + years. An administration that never cared for football and at times separated itself from it yet we still won. Building a powerful brand and following. Howard selling kids to stay home and rep it’s home created a dynasty. Not money , not facilities ,not pr but more winning in spite of the administration. Nothing like that will ever happen again. It was truly special.

Advertisement
Being honest its amazing what this program did for 20 + years. An administration that never cared for football and at times separated itself from it yet we still won. Building a powerful brand and following. Howard selling kids to stay home and rep it’s home created a dynasty. Not money , not facilities ,not pr but more winning in spite of the administration. Nothing like that will ever happen again. It was truly special.
Now I realize how special. I've denied the last thought for the longest. Needless to say I'm losing my will to continue....

Oh now it’s “we’re no more relevant” instead of “they’re a good team” like it was yesterday?

Why don’t you find your balls and admit you didn’t know Cahse Brice was their starting QB instead of moving the goal posts.
Your emotions removed your ability to comprehend. App St is not a good program, Miami is not a good program. This is a huge game for Miami, while irrelevant to college football in general, it's a good barometer for where the program currently is.

Advertisement

Perhaps I am being naive, but it CAN happen again, just not with the folks currently in charge of the program. We need Blake gone, Jen gone, and multiple BOT's that care more about being woke than being good at football.

On second thought, never mind, you are right.

Coming into this game I said ten wins is what I expected , leaving the game nothing has changed. We went up in weight class and got smacked back down to where we came from. We‘re a light heavy weight that skipped cruiser weight . heavy weight and jumped to super heavyweight , then received the realistic result, knocked out with ease.

We faced a machine that has far better talent , coaching and culture. It’s a professional ran college program thats playing on a different level than anyone else. From the amount of money they spend in their program on down. That being said here’s what I saw.

Miami once again came out overwhelmed in a big moment , the staff and players couldn't handle the pressure of all the bright lights.

The tackling continues to be atrocious, just like last year we look lost in space.

We were very aggressive and brought 5, 6 and even seven guys but the blitzes are slow developing , obvious to everyone in the building because of zero disguise. Their qb was eating the pressures alive. They knew all the answers in pre snap.

Even though we ran more man we still didn’t allow our cb’s to use their hands like the talk had been, there was plenty of free release which will always put guys like Ivey at a disadvantage. Ts and Couch are easily the best cb’s.

Our front seven looked like a pac 12 defense versus Bama. We won’t be a big boy program until we get difference makers in the trenches.

Play calling on offense was atrocious early , another game where Lashlee came up small and coached scared. The slow developing runs leave me scratching my head, at this point he’s pretty good. Nothing more.

Going into this season I said the ol and de’s were my concern, well going forward I think the ol will be ok. They’re definitely better than last year. After Oluwaseun entered the game it was night and day difference, we had lanes and made pretty good pockets from the second quarter on. As for as Scaife goes , it’s over. He’s a backup and nothing more. As a whole the ol held up better than it did against some acc schools last year. I take that as one of the few positives.

I posted in spring Don was special, he’d ran away with the gig then he got hurt. He showed yesterday he’s a difference maker , he’s explosive and runs violent. Cam is what he is , a rotational guy, not a horse. I want to see more of Don ( we will), Rooster ( after suspension ) and eventually Brown. Cam has no lateral movement and goes down way too easy.

Wr’s were another positive , when given a chance they made plays , they were constantly running free in the secondary and we just couldn’t make them pay. Either the pocket broke down or king left early.

I love king but he’s limited as a passer. He still continues to cause some sacks scrambling , even if there’s a good pocket around him. He still has some of the same issues as last year.

Mallory still can’t block.

As for manny , we’re going into year three and that’s when I start coming to my full decision. What I know so far ? We show up flat most weeks, we don’t seem to be developing our recruits ,only the transfers seem to improve . We lack fundamentals and look like a badly coached team without discipline. At this point there’s no arguing this.

As I said earlier I still expect a positive season and this is a good team. There’s nobody we’ll face in the same stratosphere as Bama going forward , even Clemson. I saw enough of the o to think it’ll score a lot of points most weeks but will have issues against teams with better talent. So minus Clemson we’ll have the advantage on saturdays. If we can’t hit ten wins with this schedule there better be no extensions . That’ll make next year do or die.

The next few weeks will shed a good light on where manny and the program is headed , if we show up flat and uninspired like previous years after a loss then it’s safe to say we’re not improving , it’s just more of the same. If it’s the opposite then maybe things are going in the positive direction.

I try to be level headed and not too emotional on this stuff , that’s why I’m not taking too much from a game that nobody expected us to win, we were a 3 td dog. But I’m still not happy with things that continue to show up on Saturdays , issues we can’t seem to fix.

Now I’ll let everyone get back to losing their minds and talking Mannys replacement.

"If we can’t hit ten wins with this schedule there better be no extensions . That’ll make next year do or die."

I sure hope somebody has point blank told Blake James not to give extensions without bots signing off. Doesn't it just feel like he'll give Manny an extension if he hits 8 wins? Like there is NO standard anymore.

Its that second part that stands out though. That NEXT YEAR would be do or die for Manny. Next year's depth chart is going to have to replace a lot of players. Or at least our best players. Just on offense our QB, LT and both WRs could be gone. Bolden, Johnson and Stevenson on defense just to name 3. We'll need a new punter too. Plus somebody always declares early when they shouldn't.

We can rave all we want about the guys behind them, but they'll need time. Time Manny won't have... unless he gets an extension.

Blake James is aware of next years roster too man. If his fate is tied to Manny's you'd have to think he's going to give Manny an extension this year no matter what.

Perhaps I am being naive, but it CAN happen again, just not with the folks currently in charge of the program. We need Blake gone, Jen gone, and multiple BOT's that care more about being woke than being good at football.

On second thought, never mind, you are right.
I don’t think we’ll ever be what we were. I could see a consistent 10-11 win team that makes an occasional run with a really good qb. Not battling for natties every year. That’s the ceiling imo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back