Now that some of the Portal news is out of the bag

It's an automatic credibility-disqualifier when a writer says that "just missed" redshirt qualification by playing in 4 games.
The 4-game rule started before Taulia was at Alabama right? I want to say 2018, so it re-affirms the cluelessness of the comment from said writer.

But the thought process is there.

Advertisement
Already broke down McCormick's eligibility in another post - has nothing to do with carrying over a year form covid plus a RS

2016 - Redshirted - True Freshman
2017 - Played and contributed - RS Freshman - used eligibility 1/4
2018 - Season ending injury week 1 - Medical RS - RS Soph - Still only used 1/4
2019 - Missed entire season due to injury - Medical RS - Granted another year of eligibility. Still only used 1/4
2020 - Missed entire season due to injury - didn't count due to covid anyway - Still only used 1/4
2021 - Played in 2 games and sustained a season ending injury - didn't immediately petition for waiver but qualifies (petitioned ACC for it this year I think) - still used only 1/4
2022 - Played in 13 games - started 6 - used eligibility year 2/4
2023 - Played in every game - used eligibility year 3/4
2024 - Assuming the waiver for 2021 is granted - will be 4th year of eligibility
Oh no I get it, Taulia play only four games in 2020, which grants him a redshirt season on top of the free covid year. He should be getting a 6th.

But it's the NCAA. They don't care about rules when it comes to Miami.

Outside of that: Taulia enters the Portal and he's the number one QB in there.

maybe let's not spend all day arguing about the eligibility of a player who hasn't even entered the portal yet
Lol fair but Baby Tua and Pratt seems like the only 2 that we have a legit advantage & connection with so would be top 2 in terms of most realistic...So yeah, does he need a waiver or not?

Wrong.

Look up Cam McCormick, who took a medical redshirt in 2020 and used his "Covid year" in a non-2020 year.

View attachment 269471

View attachment 269472
Already broke down McCormick's eligibility in another post - has nothing to do with carrying over a year form covid plus a RS

2019 - Missed entire season due to injury - Medical RS - Granted another year of eligibility. Still only used 1/4
2020 - Missed entire season due to injury - didn't count due to covid anyway - Still only used 1/4
2021 - Played in 2 games and sustained a season ending injury - didn't immediately petition for waiver but qualifies (petitioned ACC for it this year I think) - still used only 1/4
2024 - Assuming the waiver for 2021 is granted - will be 4th year of eligibility

Advertisement
Oh no I get it, Taulia play only four games in 2020, which grants him a redshirt season on top of the free covid year. He should be getting a 6th.

Outside of that: Taulia enters the Portal and he's the number one QB in there.
responded to the wrong post. My bad.

NCAA would ******* love to ruin our season. You bet your *** they are gonna investigate Baby Tua's status if he transfer to us. Prob throw a tampering charge at us as well. Better make sure we lawyer the F up on this upfront

1701725488756.gif

Summary of the discussion about Taulia

Advertisement
Wrong.

Look up Cam McCormick, who took a medical redshirt in 2020 and used his "Covid year" in a non-2020 year.

View attachment 269471

View attachment 269472
Wait wait. Aren’t you the one saying not to believe everything in media??

I will say, I have no ******* clue how many medical redshirts and when Cam took them.

Everyone take a deep breather and remember original rule how many seasons NCAA Football Athletes can play. Everyone knows it 4.

Add in 2020 and free year for everyone, can play 5 now if didn’t RS. If someone RS, in ‘19 or 21, they have one season left to play in ‘24.

We have had contact with Will Howard, Cam Ward and Dillon Gabriel. Dawson visited Howard last week in Kansas. Don’t think we will go after Rogers from Mississippi State.

If Michael Pratt enters the Portal or Taulia Tagavoila gets a 6th year/enters the Portal, I would expect us to have significant interest in both.
What about Dante Moore or Aiden chiles

Advertisement
I really like McCloud. He was exceptional this season after sitting out last year. Accurate and has some mobility as well. Size is a bit of a concern at 6'0.

The 4-game rule started before Taulia was at Alabama right? I want to say 2018, so it re-affirms the cluelessness of the comment from said writer.

But the thought process is there.
It also makes you wonder what the **** Bama was doing in 2019 having the kid play in 5 games other than to just ***** him over before he left or they pushed him out.

DOESN'T THAT JUST SEEM INSANE?

Advertisement
We would gladly take any of those five.
Are we going to be smart and take two kids? One Senior and one with 3 years to play? I'd take the Indiana kid and let him battle the senior for starting in 2024. IF he doesn't get it, he backs up and battles the others for 2025. IMO it is the best way to raise the floor of that room.

Advertisement
Back