Notre Dame fires DC Brian Van Gorder

View attachment 38928

Deep down inside I'm smiling...

That dude was an abortion at Purdue. He's no miracle worker. They're going to keep getting skull fcked. Probably even worse.

Realistically, how does the Canes offense (assuming no changes, a victory against FSU, and going into South Bend undefeated) perform against that ND defense called by Perdue?

image.jpg

Advertisement
View attachment 38928

That dude was an abortion at Purdue. He's no miracle worker. They're going to keep getting skull fcked. Probably even worse.

Realistically, how does the Canes offense (assuming no changes, a victory against FSU, and going into South Bend undefeated) perform against that ND defense called by Perdue?

If we don't hang 40+ on them it'll be a major disappointment.

The Fighting Culture Appropriators are about to belly flop into the pool of irrelevance. Then they will paddle through the mediocrity until they find the edge. It's going to be glorious.

View attachment 38928

If we don't hang 40+ on them it'll be a major disappointment.

If we dont hang 40+ on everyone from here on out itll be disappointment

BVG fielded excellent defenses at Georgia. His defenses were top 10 nationally when he was year. Their defense was dominant the year they went to the Sugar Bowl.

Advertisement
I already got you. You think Meyer wouldn't go to ND because he "already turned them down", which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because he can recruit players at OSU that he couldn't at ND, which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because ND is incapable of matching OSU's contract, which is less than $1 million of what they're paying their current coach, despite their $15 million/year TV contract for football only, a $10 Billion endowment, and boosters with far deeper pockets. Your position doesn't make sense.

Not even sure why I argue with you. I still think it's in ND's best interest to at least kick the tires on him. Brian Kelly isn't their guy.

anyone who thinks Urban would leave a top 5 powerhouse program where he is 53-4 at right now to go to notre dame or any other school in the country is out of their **** mind

no school in the country would be a big enough increase in situation for meyer to leave

I didn't say he would leave, I'm saying ND should go after him. ND is, and has always been, the premier job in college football. If he wants to stay at OSU, IDGAF really, just saying that's what ND should do.

It used to be the premier job and one could perhaps make that claim insofar as prestige is concerned, especially
for coaches who grew up in the east coast or midwest and come from heavily Catholic upbringing.
But from a football perspective, it really isn't as good as you claim based on many of the arguments already
put forth in this thread, especially from Franchise.
The landscape of college football has changed dramatically since NLame won their last national championship
and not all to NLame's advantage.

ND thrived before the internet. They don't have a home recruiting base, and many of the kids they used to poach before the internet evened the recruiting field are going elsewhere.

A program like UM can have down years and rebound quickly because we have the most talent-rich area of the world within walking distance of campus. ND, on the other hand, has to rely on national recruiting and recruits' grandpas to tell them about the glory that was ND.
Agree

Notre Dame used to be relevant becuase they were the only program who had a TV deal. So high school kids across the country got to see them play every weekend. That's a huge advantage that doesn't exist anymore.

Too **** cold there, academic standards, and unreasonable expectations lead it to be an above average job in my opinion.

Agree

Notre Dame used to be relevant becuase they were the only program who had a TV deal. So high school kids across the country got to see them play every weekend. That's a huge advantage that doesn't exist anymore.

Too **** cold there, academic standards, and unreasonable expectations lead it to be an above average job in my opinion.

Sounds a lot like Michigan.

You guys are being extraordinarily reactive to speak of Notre Dame as if they weren't fighting for a playoff spot last year before the Stanford game. ND is still very relevant. We have no business acting like anyone's heyday is behind them when we've been hot garbage for the past 10+ years. ND won't turn the corner and make their program fully viable again until they fully join the ACC, but I still think that no other program has the prestige/aura/mystique, whatever you want to call it, that they do.

Judging by his stint at Purdue, Greg Hudson is even worse than Van Gorder. At Purdue Hudson was serving alongside John Shoop (Butch's OC at UNC who many on this board made fun of), and most of the Purdue fanbase hated Hudson even more than they hated Shoop.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Kelly didn't wait until the end of the year to do this. If Kelly fired BVG at the end of the year Kelly might have been given an extra "scapegoat" year in 2017. But if the ND defense doesn't improve by the end of 2016 there's only one person to be fired, and that is the head coach.

Advertisement
Agree

You guys are being extraordinarily reactive to speak of Notre Dame as if they weren't fighting for a playoff spot last year before the Stanford game. ND is still very relevant. We have no business acting like anyone's heyday is behind them when we've been hot garbage for the past 10+ years. ND won't turn the corner and make their program fully viable again until they fully join the ACC, but I still think that no other program has the prestige/aura/mystique, whatever you want to call it, that they do.
Very true but they've lost 4 and 5 and they also lost a ton to the draft so I'm not sure you can compare them to the same notre Dame team from last year or the year before

I liked him based on what I saw with the chemistry with Richt at GA.

Who put 70 on Manny Diaz's D at Texas I mean that was even a worse dumpster fire. You never know if it's the system or players just don't fit a scheme.At Georgia his defenses led the nation in scoring and top 10 every year in yards allowed. Again he won The Broyles Award but so did Randy Shannon!

I think Kelly is lapsing into comatose I agree with people on here!

Except for the 1st 3 or 4 games of 2013 Diaz was actually pretty good at Texas. Their d was great under Diaz in 2011 and solid (not great) in 2012. Diaz is also younger and more able to improve as a DC then Van Gorder is. I also think Diaz is a better fit for So. Fla than Texas.

Van Gorder hit his peak a decade ago. And if you wouldn't take Shannon as DC over Van Gorder you're a moron. Not that I'd want Shannon as Miami DC. I can't imagine how weird it would be for Shannon to be serving under a man who now has taken his former job as Miami head coach.

Last edited:
Agree

Very true but they've lost 4 and 5 and they also lost a ton to the draft so I'm not sure you can compare them to the same notre Dame team from last year or the year before

Usually a program's "relevance" is a sample size over many years, and not changed on a year to year basis. Kinda like saying LSU is irrelevant. This year, yes. Past 10 years, not really.

I liked him based on what I saw with the chemistry with Richt at GA.

Who put 70 on Manny Diaz's D at Texas I mean that was even a worse dumpster fire. You never know if it's the system or players just don't fit a scheme.At Georgia his defenses led the nation in scoring and top 10 every year in yards allowed. Again he won The Broyles Award but so did Randy Shannon!

I think Kelly is lapsing into comatose I agree with people on here!

Except for the 1st 3 or 4 games of 2013 Diaz was actually pretty good at Texas. Their d was great under Diaz in 2011 and solid (not great) in 2012. Diaz is also younger and more able to improve as a DC then Van Gorder is. I also think Diaz is a better fit for So. Fla than Texas.

Miami's players seem to be buying in, probably because they're excited to be attacking again, instead what they've been doing the past five years.

Advertisement
I love how some ND fans believe they've turned the corner since they allowed over 470 yards to the worst team in the ACC.

This probably isn't a very good gauge of prestige, and this reflects my views now, not necessarily when I was 18. Here are my 5 OVs if I were a top prospect. Miami, Stanford, Michigan, Arizona State, and the last visit is a tough call. Maybe Bama, but **** Bama. Maybe Osu, but **** the Bucks. Fun UF. **** UGA. **** Penn State. UVA really would be a consideration today, but **** they suck.

I get you'd OV to ASU for the girls, but thats a pretty bad reason. First of all its very unlikely that any schools are straight up pimping out the girls to recruits. And if they are, they aren't doing it with no ugly chicks. So It doesn't matter if ASU has a load of hot girls, any school you OV to is going to surround the recruits with hot chicks.

My OV list would definitely include Miami, Southern Cal, Stanford, and Oregon. The other one would probably be to a big time game. Otherwise FSU, Michigan, LSU, UCLA, and Texas would be the other schools at the top of my OV list.

Advertisement
They'll get Charlie Strong as DC or some **** like that.

With Kelly likely out after next year (assuming he survives this year) they might have really awful options for DC.

Why would a DC want to join a staff of a head coach who's about to be fired?

Expect a lot of teams to go after Manny Diaz with the way this defense is playing.

They'll get Charlie Strong as DC or some **** like that.

With Kelly likely out after next year (assuming he survives this year) they might have really awful options for DC.

Why would a DC want to join a staff of a head coach who's about to be fired?

Expect a lot of teams to go after Manny Diaz with the way this defense is playing.

Good luck to those teams.
I would be more worried about Kuligowski.

Advertisement
Back