Notre Dame fires DC Brian Van Gorder

LOL. You are the master of the quibble. Not getting me this time.

I already got you. You think Meyer wouldn't go to ND because he "already turned them down", which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because he can recruit players at OSU that he couldn't at ND, which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because ND is incapable of matching OSU's contract, which is less than $1 million of what they're paying their current coach, despite their $15 million/year TV contract for football only, a $10 Billion endowment, and boosters with far deeper pockets. Your position doesn't make sense.

Not even sure why I argue with you. I still think it's in ND's best interest to at least kick the tires on him. Brian Kelly isn't their guy.

anyone who thinks Urban would leave a top 5 powerhouse program where he is 53-4 at right now to go to notre dame or any other school in the country is out of their **** mind

no school in the country would be a big enough increase in situation for meyer to leave

I didn't say he would leave, I'm saying ND should go after him. ND is, and has always been, the premier job in college football. If he wants to stay at OSU, IDGAF really, just saying that's what ND should do.

It used to be the premier job and one could perhaps make that claim insofar as prestige is concerned, especially
for coaches who grew up in the east coast or midwest and come from heavily Catholic upbringing.
But from a football perspective, it really isn't as good as you claim based on many of the arguments already
put forth in this thread, especially from Franchise.
The landscape of college football has changed dramatically since NLame won their last national championship
and not all to NLame's advantage.

ND thrived before the internet. They don't have a home recruiting base, and many of the kids they used to poach before the internet evened the recruiting field are going elsewhere.

A program like UM can have down years and rebound quickly because we have the most talent-rich area of the world within walking distance of campus. ND, on the other hand, has to rely on national recruiting and recruits' grandpas to tell them about the glory that was ND.

Advertisement
IMG_7772.jpg

Deep down inside I'm smiling...

I already got you. You think Meyer wouldn't go to ND because he "already turned them down", which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because he can recruit players at OSU that he couldn't at ND, which is false. You think Meyer wouldn't go because ND is incapable of matching OSU's contract, which is less than $1 million of what they're paying their current coach, despite their $15 million/year TV contract for football only, a $10 Billion endowment, and boosters with far deeper pockets. Your position doesn't make sense.

Not even sure why I argue with you. I still think it's in ND's best interest to at least kick the tires on him. Brian Kelly isn't their guy.

anyone who thinks Urban would leave a top 5 powerhouse program where he is 53-4 at right now to go to notre dame or any other school in the country is out of their **** mind

no school in the country would be a big enough increase in situation for meyer to leave

I didn't say he would leave, I'm saying ND should go after him. ND is, and has always been, the premier job in college football. If he wants to stay at OSU, IDGAF really, just saying that's what ND should do.

You're stuck in the 1960s. ND is not the premier program in the country. Not even close.

Now go find an article on google where someone says they are.

Lol, why would I do any research on anything? Your gestalt is always on point and continues to be my newfound source of knowledge and opinions on all matters. I mean, you follow this stuff religiously and have 21k posts on the internet. Good enough for me.

Prestige is a subjective thing, but god knows you'll argue it tooth and nail.

It used to be the premier job and one could perhaps make that claim insofar as prestige is concerned, especially
for coaches who grew up in the east coast or midwest and come from heavily Catholic upbringing.
But from a football perspective, it really isn't as good as you claim based on many of the arguments already
The landscape of college football has changed dramatically since NLame won their last national championship

ND thrived before the internet. They don't have a home recruiting base, and many of the kids they used to poach before the internet evened the recruiting field are going elsewhere.

A program like UM can have down years and rebound quickly because we have the most talent-rich area of the world within walking distance of campus. ND, on the other hand, has to rely on national recruiting and recruits' grandpas to tell them about the glory that was ND.

For someone who "follows this religiously" you really have a warped view of what the college football landscape was/is. ND was popular around the country because they were the only program with a TV deal. They've still been far more competitive and nationally relevant than we've been over the past 10-12 years. Our recruits weren't even alive the last time we competed for a title.

Advertisement

For someone who "follows this religiously" you really have a warped view of what the college football landscape was/is. ND was popular around the country because they were the only program with a TV deal. They've still been far more competitive and nationally relevant than we've been over the past 10-12 years. Our recruits weren't even alive the last time we competed for a title.

Our recruits weren't alive in 2002? Interesting.

Like other people have already explained, ND is in Indiana and isn't really glamorous for many 17-18 year old kids. That's why Urban Meyer turned them down. You're here trying to argue that Notre Dame is the "premier job" in college football, yet they were turned down in 2004 but Meyer who was the hottest coaching prospect at the time for UF, who had one national title. One. Meyer turned them down because he wanted to be able to recruit closer to home and Notre Dame is always going to have that same problem. Notre Dame fans accept end of Urban Meyer love affair - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

College programs with the most alums on NFL Week 1 rosters - NFL.com

Notre Dame lags behind Miami, USC, UF, Alabama, etc in producing NFL players despite having more recent success than Miami UF and USC. That's because they can't attract talent like those schools can and it's not the "premier job" for that very reason. This is 2016 not 1972.

Our recruits weren't alive in 2002? Interesting.

Like other people have already explained, ND is in Indiana and isn't really glamorous for many 17-18 year old kids. That's why Urban Meyer turned them down. You're here trying to argue that Notre Dame is the "premier job" in college football, yet they were turned down in 2004 but Meyer who was the hottest coaching prospect at the time for UF, who had one national title. One. Meyer turned them down because he wanted to be able to recruit closer to home and Notre Dame is always going to have that same problem. Notre Dame fans accept end of Urban Meyer love affair - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

College programs with the most alums on NFL Week 1 rosters - NFL.com

Notre Dame lags behind Miami, USC, UF, Alabama, etc in producing NFL players despite having more recent success than Miami UF and USC. That's because they can't attract talent like those schools can and it's not the "premier job" for that very reason. This is 2016 not 1972.

Lol, I am? That's news to me. That's just my opinion, and not one I hold dearly. All I'm saying is that ND should go after Urban Meyer.

When did he turn down the job? According to Meyer, they never offered. Meyer says Irish never made offer

If you could provide examples of players that are at OSU that wouldn't have been admitted to ND then I can't take your argument seriously. In addition to the claim that OSU has deeper pockets than ND, which is just outright silly, not sure why you continue to repeat such an obvious fallacy.

Did you just wake up from a 30-year coma?

LOL. That poor dude is lost.

Advertisement

LOL. That poor dude is lost.

LOL, someone who chastises research calls another person lost. Yikes.

Fire the DC is classic scapegoating. I was in Austin when Diaz was the scapegoat. Never works. I was in Austin when Muschimp was DC. Still can't believe he is a head coach. And Strong is the next coach out the door.

So if Notre Dame isn't prestigious what are they? They are independent of the conferences. They play a pseudo ACC schedule now, but were playing Michigan, USC, and several very solid teams. Their Vanderbilts/Dukes were the academies. Their education is still top notch.

This probably isn't a very good gauge of prestige, and this reflects my views now, not necessarily when I was 18. Here are my 5 OVs if I were a top prospect. Miami, Stanford, Michigan, Arizona State, and the last visit is a tough call. Maybe Bama, but **** Bama. Maybe Osu, but **** the Bucks. Fun UF. **** UGA. **** Penn State. UVA really would be a consideration today, but **** they suck.

So if Notre Dame isn't prestigious what are they? They are independent of the conferences. They play a pseudo ACC schedule now, but were playing Michigan, USC, and several very solid teams. Their Vanderbilts/Dukes were the academies. Their education is still top notch.

This probably isn't a very good gauge of prestige, and this reflects my views now, not necessarily when I was 18. Here are my 5 OVs if I were a top prospect. Miami, Stanford, Michigan, Arizona State, and the last visit is a tough call. Maybe Bama, but **** Bama. Maybe Osu, but **** the Bucks. Fun UF. **** UGA. **** Penn State. UVA really would be a consideration today, but **** they suck.

It is still a prestiguous program much like Army, Navy, Harvard, Yale, and they still have enough potential to occasionally challenge for
a top5, but not every year like other programs when they have their **** together.

If I was an 18 year top prospect, I would visit UM, Texas, USC or UCLA, and Stanford.
If I'm an interested in a Catholic school, it would be BC because of the great academics and location (world class
city).
No interest in any of the SEC community colleges.

Advertisement
I think The Good Catholic Girla are grossly overrated and it is not anyone's fault they thought Charlie Weis was their savior! Before that Tyrone Willingham who also destroyed Washington. BVG is a very good defensive coach and don't compare him to "No nickel no dime package" Dorito. No one is worse than him except maybe Folden who retained him.

Maybe a good time for Richt to get BVG as a consultant at least for the Golden Showers game. Like a special assistant you can't **** off Diaz.. Anyway Richt doesn't handle things that way it would have to be an film room type asst. **** what is BVG going to do anyway not getting a gig until after the season anyways. He knows that ND defense as well as anyone at least the weaknesses and they have plenty of that! if we get to that game undefeated it would be a huge national spotlight game to propel Canes into the Top 5.

Not saying it will happen but who knows that defense better than him?

Saw this coming. What an epic failure

Changing DC was necessary but mid season pretty much means they are giving up

No way this new dude comes in and gets them to improve or change scheme in time for games coming up.

We will roll

Please let them hire NoD!!!!!!!!! Please, please, please. He is available.

Advertisement

Urban's dream job was always ND. He is named after a Pope. Guy flees schools after his crap wears out. He left UF after two NCs and waited for the OSU job to open up. Anyone who didn't not think he was getting it was silly. He won his NC and that conference is catching on to his stuff. Soon it will be time to leave OSU. ND can pay whatever it wants to pay and they like winning too. Urban will go there and the smuck will win another NC. Then it will be on to the Pac 10 for him. Like our own Lou Saban, RIP, Urban is a rolling stone.

Urban's dream job was always ND. He is named after a Pope. Guy flees schools after his crap wears out. He left UF after two NCs and waited for the OSU job to open up. Anyone who didn't not think he was getting it was silly. He won his NC and that conference is catching on to his stuff. Soon it will be time to leave OSU. ND can pay whatever it wants to pay and they like winning too. Urban will go there and the smuck will win another NC. Then it will be on to the Pac 10 for him. Like our own Lou Saban, RIP, Urban is a rolling stone.

Even though I certainly don't think ND is the premier program (probably still top 10), you may be right. Sooner or later, something will happen at OSU where Urban "wears out his welcome," and he will flee. ND would be a good bet for his next stop. Then maybe 5 years in South Bend before something happens and he flees (next stop somewhere with nice weather). I don't think Meyer is the kind of guy who stays in any job for an extended period.

Advertisement
Back