Note about Chestnut

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
I notice some of you are calling him a "Plan C" or even "G" type of kid. I can assure you that Chestnut is Miami caliber and is a good D1 runningback. Granted Collins' skillset is superior to Chestnut, but let me give you this stat Collins rushed for 1276 yards against mediocre competition with schools like Nova, Stranahan, and Hallandale. Chestnut ran for 1206 on less carries and tougher competition such as Central, Northwestern, Aquinas and Killian. While the skill levels are different, Chestnut in no way shape or form should be considered a "Bad" or "Mediocre" runningback

Advertisement
Im going to respectfully disagree. High school stats don't really show a player will translate to the next level. Plus, if he wasn't a plan B or C kid he would've been contacted WAYYY earlier than this. I hope I am wrong but I see Chestnut as a mediocre back at the next level, very similar to Eduardo Clements.

Advertisement
I'll take those numbers anyday, Tito. I think people are just still bummed about AC and think that DC is this years version of "George Robinson". I know you and Pete say he is a stud so i wouldn't mind giving him a look but what scares guys like me is that buddy committed to Western Michigan..Sheesh. What is the downside to this kid whereas schools like USF passed on him? (I will assume that. I figure if he had an offer from USF he wouldnt be going to WM.)

2 Most Important things for a RB:

1) See The Hole
2) Get There

He does both pretty got dam well. He's not gonna turn nothing into something, but he's will get every bit of what he's supposed to get out of every run, which is something I couldn't always say about Mike James. That should be more than enough considering the offensive line talent that we have returning next season.

Advertisement
If Chestnut is the real deal, why is he choosing between western Michigan and Indiana??? Grades?

The Columbus bias around here is staggering. We are raiding Western Michigan after missing out on Collins. How is this anything other than a back up plan?

Advertisement
I don't know about that one, Al Cane. You have to be SUPER elite to run for 2k in dade county WITH a target on ur back. (The reason I put that is because I know people are going to bring up Joseph Yearby rushing for 2k his sophomore year when he was an unknown. All of a sudden his junior year when the word is out it is not so easy.) I get both points though. We all agree that AC is better. I think Tito is just saying that DC is not Darren Davis either. (who was a stud at Southridge, just wasnt an upper echolon D1 talent like I assume Tito thinks of DC.)

I read somewhere on twitter that Chesnut's HC at Columbus says that no one at Miami has called even once to ask about any of there recruits.

He might have put up nice stats but I doubt he will ever do much of anything here if he signs.

Advertisement
The ravens just won a super bowl with ray rice and bernard peirce who if we signed them out of hs our fans would have been like "WTF". Rashawn Scott before his troubles was blossoming into our best receiver last year. No one even knew who he was when he committed.

I don't know about that one, Al Cane. You have to be SUPER elite to run for 2k in dade county WITH a target on ur back. (The reason I put that is because I know people are going to bring up Joseph Yearby rushing for 2k his sophomore year when he was an unknown. All of a sudden his junior year when the word is out it is not so easy.) I get both points though. We all agree that AC is better. I think Tito is just saying that DC is not Darren Davis either. (who was a stud at Southridge, just wasnt an upper echolon D1 talent like I assume Tito thinks of DC.)

Darren Davis put up 5,000 yards at Iowa State. I would take Chestnut or Tice. Not saying they aren't good players. But to spin this as though its not a back up plan is nonsense. If Collins picks us last night, are we offering Chestnut? Yes or No?

Advertisement
Back