Not sold on Kayaa...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1823
  • Start date
I don't people anointing him has anything to do with his play. Didn't watch the entire game but don't use one game to analyze a QB's play. Like you said, a new staff would do wonders; he's not even in an offense that fits him with us running a pseudo pro-style/spread.

Read what I wrote; not one game, but two games in person and every game on TV/ESPN3. Yes, the "check with me" BS is a rhythm killer and its on Coley and Fataweenie Alfredo. Once the ball is snapped, however, it's on Kaaya. His mechanics are off (footwork, overthrowing or throwing behind) and he needs to add muscle and work at improving his mobility to extend the play when everything breaks down.

Maybe not being in the Miami echo chamber on Kaaya gives some of us a different prespective. I live in Suckeye land and some of their fans (yes, a small minority) are knowledgable; they don't see a very good QB in Kaaya and many Cincy fans were shocked at how poorly he played ("He is your BEST QB?").

This is not "hating" on Kaaya (and using the vernacular of a texting 6th grade girl is weak, BTW), its an observation.

Again, that's a small sample. Like MIATL said let's check back at the end of the season.

BTW, OSU has a history of athletic dual-threats. What makes them knowledgeable enough to gauge Kaaya?

Again, it is an observation based on what they see and what I see. Dual Threat vs. pro style? Heck, we have threads galore on this and who is their starter now?

Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Pro-Style Quarterback

Yep, pro style. Unlike Hulkacaniac, i'm the last guy in the world to be a Sucknut, but Kaaya had 0 TD passes against a Cincinnati secondary...a Cincinnati secondary

I know everyone has to believe something is right on this team, but while Kaaya has been brilliant at times, his last six quarters of football is not encouraging, especially if he is suppossed to be a fiery leader on the sideline (he wasn't at Cincy, that's for sure).

And I'm not arguing that he's playing good football. But to call him average and question his ability is where a line has to be drawn. Everyone goes through a bad stretch and yet here we are not being sold on a legitimate QB who has had two average games. Maybe I ride for my players too much but Kaaya is not a problem. It would be different if he was turning the ball over.

Reading Comprehension not a strong suite, eh? Please find my qotes where I say "Kaaya is average" or "I question Kaaya's ability" Line drawn? What are you in the 4th grade?

Ability has nothing to do with it when deficiencies lead to poor results. The AC-130 series aircraft has the ability to destroy pretty much any ground target, but it is deficient in being able to protect itself in daylight because it is a big, lumbering aircraft which has to maintain a pylon turn to employ most of its weapons and can be easily engaged by enemy AAA/SAMs and even heavier small arms. Hence, the USAF always flies them at night.

Saying Kaaya "is not the problem" when deficiencies are present is naive.

Advertisement
Let's try this. Where does Kaaya rank in the ACC amongst QB's? If your answer is any number lower than 2 please explain.

MIATL already did that, but your premise is flawed. Kaaya may rank higher or lower than another teams QB, but the expectations of him and in concert, the belief in him by this fan base are greater than any of the other QB's, even Golson (see Dalvin Cook). This whole team needs work, including Kaaya. Lets get this out of the way: I know I am not blaming him for the losses, that is on Golden and Golden alone. However, you have to be objective in looking at Kaaya's performance and a lot of fans refuse to do so.

I'm being extremely objective and the stat MIATL used is grossly misrepresentative. My premise that I'm trying to get across is if you lined up all the QB's in the ACC or college as a whole, where would you pick Kaaya? He'd be my second pick the ACC and probably my 7th QB overall.

The expectations of the fanbase of Kaaya is its own problem. The perception that he is the best QB on Earth and therefore no matter what he does in game can't change that can't be helped. He has lots of room to improve and he is far from perfect. Is he very good? Yes. Is he elite? Yes. Is he some all-American and best QB in school history? Absolutely not.

You cant compare their QB against Brad. Their QB is playing against one of the worst Def Coordinators in the Nation
- Brad has one of the worst OL's we have had in decades - same thing with WR's

Total Quarterback Rating - College Football - ESPN

According to that link, he's not top 2 in the ACC ...

According to that link, he's average ...

And though we'll never know for certain ... I'd argue Kaaya would probably be a rs-frosh right now if Golden would have accepted Brissett's interest to transfer. Kaaya would not have played a down last season, and would likely be the back-up this season.

That is a cherrypicked stat that is disingenuous. Do you really think Matt Johns with his 8 TD's and his 6 picks is better than Kaaya? What about Lamar Jackson and his 450 total passing yards?

I thought QBR was suppose to be the most objective measure?

If the debate is what 2 QBs might get drafted before Kaaya, I'm not interested in that debate. I don't care about the NFL draft, I care about Miami wins and losses.

Our coaches are not good ... So, we need our QB to be special. Kaaya was a true frosh last year ... I get it. But he's a 2nd year starter now. It's, supposedly, Brad's team. If that's the case, he can't let us lose to Cincinnati. He can't only score 3 points in the 2nd half against that defense. And he can't get outplayed by their back-up QB.

Aside from that ... I sat in that stadium and watch him miss wide open guys. He fixated on a read, and went with it. But there were multiple instances of guys breaking open, but Brad would force something to a player ..

I think what you are doing is what 79 said most Canes fans are doing, anointing Kaaya. He's a good QB no doubt but is far from developing to his potential. He can't do it all by himself, eventually someone has to step up besides the QB. Its called a team game for a reason. You most likely are envisioning him as Peyton Manning who didn't develop into what he became to be until his junior year. Like you said he's a sophomore. You can't just point to him and say "Save us". Maybe in another year or two.

You cant compare their QB against Brad. Their QB is playing against one of the worst Def Coordinators in the Nation

Lol

You're a Miami fan, so I get your perspective. I'm a Miami fan, too.

But objectively, do you have any idea what the Cincinnati defense was ranked???

Please check their scores and stats ...

Us only scoring 23 points against that team is an epic failure! And some of that failure falls on the shoulders of the QB, IMO.

Advertisement

And though we'll never know for certain ... I'd argue Kaaya would probably be a rs-frosh right now if Golden would have accepted Brissett's interest to transfer. Kaaya would not have played a down last season, and would likely be the back-up this season.

That is a cherrypicked stat that is disingenuous. Do you really think Matt Johns with his 8 TD's and his 6 picks is better than Kaaya? What about Lamar Jackson and his 450 total passing yards?

If the debate is what 2 QBs might get drafted before Kaaya, I'm not interested in that debate. I don't care about the NFL draft, I care about Miami wins and losses.

Our coaches are not good ... So, we need our QB to be special. Kaaya was a true frosh last year ... I get it. But he's a 2nd year starter now. It's, supposedly, Brad's team. If that's the case, he can't let us lose to Cincinnati. He can't only score 3 points in the 2nd half against that defense. And he can't get outplayed by their back-up QB.

Aside from that ... I sat in that stadium and watch him miss wide open guys. He fixated on a read, and went with it. But there were multiple instances of guys breaking open, but Brad would force something to a player ..

Absolutely not. It overvalues certain stats and undervalues others.

That's not the debate. It's actually a pretty basic question. If you could pick out of all the QB's in the ACC and the country as a whole to lead your COLLEGE football team, where would you pick Kaaya? By the stat you picked, evidently Lamar Jackson would be the QB before Kaaya.

As far as legitimate criticisms of Kaaya go, I'm closer to your opinion than I think you're realizing. He's second year starter and it is clearly his team. He played poorly against Cincinnati and had a few passes he'd probably like to have back against a defense that is outright putrid. The play calling did him no favors and his receivers are pretty pedestrian but there's other QB's who do more with less. And Moore did outplay him against an actual better defense.

If I have any major criticism of Kaaya, it is that he's done some of what you've said. He does zero in on reads and force the ball. But by that same token he's gotten the ball in those windows. He had an all world performance against Nebraska and he didn't get the chance to run up his stats against BCU or FAU. I'm not saying Kaaya is a Heisman contender but he's far above just good.

Read what I wrote; not one game, but two games in person and every game on TV/ESPN3. Yes, the "check with me" BS is a rhythm killer and its on Coley and Fataweenie Alfredo. Once the ball is snapped, however, it's on Kaaya. His mechanics are off (footwork, overthrowing or throwing behind) and he needs to add muscle and work at improving his mobility to extend the play when everything breaks down.

Maybe not being in the Miami echo chamber on Kaaya gives some of us a different prespective. I live in Suckeye land and some of their fans (yes, a small minority) are knowledgable; they don't see a very good QB in Kaaya and many Cincy fans were shocked at how poorly he played ("He is your BEST QB?").

This is not "hating" on Kaaya (and using the vernacular of a texting 6th grade girl is weak, BTW), its an observation.

Again, that's a small sample. Like MIATL said let's check back at the end of the season.

BTW, OSU has a history of athletic dual-threats. What makes them knowledgeable enough to gauge Kaaya?

Again, it is an observation based on what they see and what I see. Dual Threat vs. pro style? Heck, we have threads galore on this and who is their starter now?

Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Pro-Style Quarterback

Yep, pro style. Unlike Hulkacaniac, i'm the last guy in the world to be a Sucknut, but Kaaya had 0 TD passes against a Cincinnati secondary...a Cincinnati secondary

I know everyone has to believe something is right on this team, but while Kaaya has been brilliant at times, his last six quarters of football is not encouraging, especially if he is suppossed to be a fiery leader on the sideline (he wasn't at Cincy, that's for sure).

And I'm not arguing that he's playing good football. But to call him average and question his ability is where a line has to be drawn. Everyone goes through a bad stretch and yet here we are not being sold on a legitimate QB who has had two average games. Maybe I ride for my players too much but Kaaya is not a problem. It would be different if he was turning the ball over.

Reading Comprehension not a strong suite, eh? Please find my qotes where I say "Kaaya is average" or "I question Kaaya's ability" Line drawn? What are you in the 4th grade?

Ability has nothing to do with it when deficiencies lead to poor results. The AC-130 series aircraft has the ability to destroy pretty much any ground target, but it is deficient in being able to protect itself in daylight because it is a big, lumbering aircraft which has to maintain a pylon turn to employ most of its weapons and can be easily engaged by enemy AAA/SAMs and even heavier small arms. Hence, the USAF always flies them at night.

Saying Kaaya "is not the problem" when deficiencies are present is naive.

Now we're comparing air crafts to human beings. Considering the OL is inexperienced, the defense is underachieving and under-coached, the receivers are not physical and run poor routes, we can't convert 3rd downs(even before Kaaya was here) I'm pretty sure he's not the problem.

Let's try this. Where does Kaaya rank in the ACC amongst QB's? If your answer is any number lower than 2 please explain.

MIATL already did that, but your premise is flawed. Kaaya may rank higher or lower than another teams QB, but the expectations of him and in concert, the belief in him by this fan base are greater than any of the other QB's, even Golson (see Dalvin Cook). This whole team needs work, including Kaaya. Lets get this out of the way: I know I am not blaming him for the losses, that is on Golden and Golden alone. However, you have to be objective in looking at Kaaya's performance and a lot of fans refuse to do so.

I'm being extremely objective and the stat MIATL used is grossly misrepresentative. My premise that I'm trying to get across is if you lined up all the QB's in the ACC or college as a whole, where would you pick Kaaya? He'd be my second pick the ACC and probably my 7th QB overall.

The expectations of the fanbase of Kaaya is its own problem. The perception that he is the best QB on Earth and therefore no matter what he does in game can't change that can't be helped. He has lots of room to improve and he is far from perfect. Is he very good? Yes. Is he elite? Yes. Is he some all-American and best QB in school history? Absolutely not.

Okay, pretty easy if you wan't me to keep it ACC, heck even keep it in the Coastal

- Tom Sirk, Duke

- Marquise Williams, UNC

- Kaaya

I've seen a lot of college football from the 70s on...The first two give me a better chance at winning right now.

You're seriously using QBR to measure Kaaya's ability? Wow. First of all look who's ahead of him. Lamar Jackson who is a better runner than QB, Matt Johns a JR who has 5 more INTs than Kaaya, Jacoby Brissett is a NFL talent, Marquise Williams also a better runner than QB, and Deshaun Watson who throws the ball 1/2 the amount of times Kaaya does. Not to mention points added for Williams and Jackson's rushing yards. Does QBR take into account an offensive coordinator's pass happy gameplan? Does QBR record drops? Does QBR record pressures, hurries, and or sacks?

Do we want to use Kaaya's last game as the measuring stick?

He should have been the best QB on the field, especially going against UC's back-up. Objectively speaking, was there much difference between Kaaya and Hayden Moore?

Moore had a better completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, higher yards per completion, more yards, and more TD passes ...

Kaaya is not special, yet. Maybe if the team was loaded, he might be.But he can't carry the team, which is why I don't consider him a stud.

You understand then.

Maybe Cincy's coaches had a better gameplan against our defense? Any QB with a pulse looks good against our D. Perhaps Cincy coaches also knew that Kaaya weakness was that he can't throw on the run and they capitalized on it and took away Scott?

Advertisement

I think what you are doing is what 79 said most Canes fans are doing, anointing Kaaya. He's a good QB no doubt but is far from developing to his potential. He can't do it all by himself, eventually someone has to step up besides the QB. Its called a team game for a reason. You most likely are envisioning him as Peyton Manning who didn't develop into what he became to be until his junior year. Like you said he's a sophomore. You can't just point to him and say "Save us". Maybe in another year or two.

That's my point ... Kaaya is not a stud.

He's an a average QB who can be developed, and may eventually become a stud. But he's not there, now.

And I'm far from anointing the kid. I haven't seen anything that says he's special, yet. I've met him, thought he had good measurables. I also thought he carried himself well.

But on the field ... I haven't seen Sam Bradford type skills, or Matt Barkley like skills.

I've seen a guy who's better than Harris and Morris, but not an elite guy ...

But he's still young. He played too early last year, and should really be a back-up this season if the coaches we have could recruit and develop QBs.

Kaaya has a lot of football left at UM ... His book ain't finished. Decent start ... But still room for a lot of work, IMO.

Lol

You're a Miami fan, so I get your perspective. I'm a Miami fan, too.

But objectively, do you have any idea what the Cincinnati defense was ranked???

Please check their scores and stats ...

Us only scoring 23 points against that team is an epic failure! And some of that failure falls on the shoulders of the QB, IMO.

Sorry but Al and Coley's lack of adjustments in the 2nd half has been the case for 5 years. Again - we have not OL and no WR's
- Kenny D would look average with this supporting cast and these coaches

Its "aircraft" for singular and plural.

I'm trying to remember what game I last saw with an OL that never got beat, a defense that never got scored upon, receivers that were all 6-4 and cornerback killing (who also ran perfect routes)...Oh yeah, NEVER.

That's my point ... Kaaya is not a stud.

He's an a average QB who can be developed, and may eventually become a stud. But he's not there, now.

And I'm far from anointing the kid. I haven't seen anything that says he's special, yet. I've met him, thought he had good measurables. I also thought he carried himself well.

But on the field ... I haven't seen Sam Bradford type skills, or Matt Barkley like skills.

I've seen a guy who's better than Harris and Morris, but not an elite guy ...

But he's still young. He played too early last year, and should really be a back-up this season if the coaches we have could recruit and develop QBs.

Kaaya has a lot of football left at UM ... His book ain't finished. Decent start ... But still room for a lot of work, IMO.

I can agree with all except for your opinion that he's average. Its just odd hearing it from our own fans.

Advertisement

I'm trying to remember what game I last saw with an OL that never got beat, a defense that never got scored upon, receivers that were all 6-4 and cornerback killing (who also ran perfect routes)...Oh yeah, NEVER.

It never happens but if one or more of those things happen, the QB does not have to do as much which is my point. I think that's the point of having a QB; keep him clean, have a decent running game, and have reliable receivers so he doesn't have to throw a lot(21st in the nation in attempts) and his "deficiencies" aren't as evident.

Okay, pretty easy if you wan't me to keep it ACC, heck even keep it in the Coastal

- Tom Sirk, Duke

- Marquise Williams, UNC

- Kaaya

I've seen a lot of college football from the 70s on...The first two give me a better chance at winning right now.

Ugh. Kaaya is a superior passer to both of those guys.

2:1 3:2 or 5:1 TD-to-Pick ratio.

868, 711, and 1094 passing yards.

All the while Kaaya has to do so under Coley's abysmal play calling and Williams has superior offensive coaching and Sirk has Cutcliffe.

It never happens but if one or more of those things happen, the QB does not have to do as much which is my point. I think that's the point of having a QB; keep him clean, have a decent running game, and have reliable receivers so he doesn't have to throw a lot(21st in the nation in attempts) and his "deficiencies" aren't as evident.

Okay, you're describing a game manager; is that what Kaaya is in your estimation?

Advertisement

Okay, you're describing a game manager; is that what Kaaya is in your estimation?

Not at all. More-so pointing out that he throws too much that its become predictable for defenses making it easier for them to defend.

- Tom Sirk, Duke

- Marquise Williams, UNC

- Kaaya

lose me here. No way, especially Williams. Williams has already lost a game this year with 2 picks in the endzone against a horrible South Carolina team.

the best quarterbacks are game managers. Elite quarterbacks are not? explain

Advertisement
Back