Not sold on Kayaa...

• Thread starter Deleted member 1823
  • Start date
crossover22[]_[];2307327 said:
These threads crack me up. Dude is a stud.

They're not going to understand until he's gone. Dude is only a sophomore lol. There are no perfect QB's in CFB; the #1 prospect QB Jared Goff for next year's draft is very similar to Kaaya.

I remember threads with posters talking about Jacory being a late round pick. I remember threads talking about Stephen Morris being an early round pick. I remember threads talking about how good Ryan Williams was going to be for us.

My point?

Miami fans always think our QB is the next Heisman candidate, or at minimum, thinking they are much better than they are. Kaaya won't even be all-coferebce when we end this season.

That's not to say he's terrible. But he's far from being a stud. And much of the pub he got last season was because Deshawn Watson was injured. If he finishes last season, he'd have gotten even more pub.

Kaaya needs a running game to play his best. Teams that stifle our ground game will handle us ... That's pretty much the opposite of Kaaya being a stud.

No

Advertisement

They're not going to understand until he's gone. Dude is only a sophomore lol. There are no perfect QB's in CFB; the #1 prospect QB Jared Goff for next year's draft is very similar to Kaaya.

I remember threads with posters talking about Jacory being a late round pick. I remember threads talking about Stephen Morris being an early round pick. I remember threads talking about how good Ryan Williams was going to be for us.

My point?

Miami fans always think our QB is the next Heisman candidate, or at minimum, thinking they are much better than they are. Kaaya won't even be all-coferebce when we end this season.

That's not to say he's terrible. But he's far from being a stud. And much of the pub he got last season was because Deshawn Watson was injured. If he finishes last season, he'd have gotten even more pub.

Kaaya needs a running game to play his best. Teams that stifle our ground game will handle us ... That's pretty much the opposite of Kaaya being a stud.

Difference is Kaaya isn't Jacory or SteMo. He actually works on his craft, established himself as a leader, and looks the part. Kaaya won't be All-Conference? LOL. Besides Deshaun Watson who I wouldn't exactly say is better, who's better than Kaaya?

It's not Kaaya you mouth breathers.

Our coaches can suck, AND Kaaya can be average.

Now,Kaaya could be average because our coaches are terrible. I can follow that line of thinking ...

But I also keep reading about how Teddy B. made Charlie Strong a decent coach. So, if Kaaya is the stud some are claiming, he should be able to carry Golden ... Especially against average teams.

Been watching games all day and I love Brad as a great kid and a pocket passer but is it a liablilty that he cannot run or throw on the run? Yes it is. Unless you run the Patriots offense or your Oline is stacked, your QB has to be perfect. We would be better off running a pro style offense with Kayaa or running the spread with Rozier. Now all of you can bash me for not mentioning how bad our coaches are even though I agree with you.

Really? You have chucklehead and mcgoo running the program, and you thought it appropriate to complain about one of the best players?

Advertisement

My point?

Difference is Kaaya isn't Jacory or SteMo. He actually works on his craft, established himself as a leader, and looks the part. Kaaya won't be All-Conference? LOL. Besides Deshaun Watson who I wouldn't exactly say is better, who's better than Kaaya?

Lets re-visit when the season ends.

But I'm pretty sure Kaaya wasn't the selection for 1st or 2nd team in the pre-season ACC voting.

Kaaya looked really weak when i saw him with my Mark I eyeball Thursday night. Seems to have regressed and definitely nowhere near as accurate as he was last year in the loss at GT (my other recent in-person game). He reads defenses slowly and gets jittery when he steps up in the pocket.

That tends to happen when you receive constant pressure; see Ryan Tannehill.

I was there and the pressure was not that bad despite Gall looking like he was a Freshman back at Moeller on that Cincinnati field. Kaaya moved up in the pocket and froze on his progression, then threw behind or overthrew his receivers. The only way he gets better is a new coaching staff that doesn't tell him he is the next Tom Brady or Andrew Luck, but pushes him to get better. He was anointed and it shows.

I don't people anointing him has anything to do with his play. Didn't watch the entire game but don't use one game to analyze a QB's play. Like you said, a new staff would do wonders; he's not even in an offense that fits him with us running a pseudo pro-style/spread.

Read what I wrote; not one game, but two games in person and every game on TV/ESPN3. Yes, the "check with me" BS is a rhythm killer and its on Coley and Fataweenie Alfredo. Once the ball is snapped, however, it's on Kaaya. His mechanics are off (footwork, overthrowing or throwing behind) and he needs to add muscle and work at improving his mobility to extend the play when everything breaks down.

Maybe not being in the Miami echo chamber on Kaaya gives some of us a different prespective. I live in Suckeye land and some of their fans (yes, a small minority) are knowledgable; they don't see a very good QB in Kaaya and many Cincy fans were shocked at how poorly he played ("He is your BEST QB?").

This is not "hating" on Kaaya (and using the vernacular of a texting 6th grade girl is weak, BTW), its an observation.

Advertisement
Kaaya looked really weak when i saw him with my Mark I eyeball Thursday night. Seems to have regressed and definitely nowhere near as accurate as he was last year in the loss at GT (my other recent in-person game). He reads defenses slowly and gets jittery when he steps up in the pocket.

I was there and the pressure was not that bad despite Gall looking like he was a Freshman back at Moeller on that Cincinnati field. Kaaya moved up in the pocket and froze on his progression, then threw behind or overthrew his receivers. The only way he gets better is a new coaching staff that doesn't tell him he is the next Tom Brady or Andrew Luck, but pushes him to get better. He was anointed and it shows.

I don't people anointing him has anything to do with his play. Didn't watch the entire game but don't use one game to analyze a QB's play. Like you said, a new staff would do wonders; he's not even in an offense that fits him with us running a pseudo pro-style/spread.

Read what I wrote; not one game, but two games in person and every game on TV/ESPN3. Yes, the "check with me" BS is a rhythm killer and its on Coley and Fataweenie Alfredo. Once the ball is snapped, however, it's on Kaaya. His mechanics are off (footwork, overthrowing or throwing behind) and he needs to add muscle and work at improving his mobility to extend the play when everything breaks down.

Maybe not being in the Miami echo chamber on Kaaya gives some of us a different prespective. I live in Suckeye land and some of their fans (yes, a small minority) are knowledgable; they don't see a very good QB in Kaaya and many Cincy fans were shocked at how poorly he played ("He is your BEST QB?").

This is not "hating" on Kaaya (and using the vernacular of a texting 6th grade girl is weak, BTW), its an observation.

Again, that's a small sample. Like MIATL said let's check back at the end of the season.

BTW, OSU has a history of athletic dual-threats. What makes them knowledgeable enough to gauge Kaaya?

Total Quarterback Rating - College Football - ESPN

According to that link, he's not top 2 in the ACC ...

According to that link, he's average ...

And though we'll never know for certain ... I'd argue Kaaya would probably be a rs-frosh right now if Golden would have accepted Brissett's interest to transfer. Kaaya would not have played a down last season, and would likely be the back-up this season.

My point?

Lets re-visit when the season ends.

But I'm pretty sure Kaaya wasn't the selection for 1st or 2nd team in the pre-season ACC voting.
He was actually 4th but then again is ahead of everyone statistically while throwing almost as twice as everyone else which is a problem considering we have Yearby, Walton, and Choc.

1. Deshaun Watson 58/78 641 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs
2. Justin Thomas. Not going to bother posting his stats considering he's not draft-eligible.
3. Marquise Williams 70/110 845 yards 6 TDs 4 INTs
4. Brad Kaaya 86/140 1094 yards 5 TDs 1 INT.

Advertisement

Again, that's a small sample. Like MIATL said let's check back at the end of the season.

BTW, OSU has a history of athletic dual-threats. What makes them knowledgeable enough to gauge Kaaya?

Again, it is an observation based on what they see and what I see. Dual Threat vs. pro style? Heck, we have threads galore on this and who is their starter now?

Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Pro-Style Quarterback

Yep, pro style. Unlike Hulkacaniac, i'm the last guy in the world to be a Sucknut, but Kaaya had 0 TD passes against a Cincinnati secondary...a Cincinnati secondary

I know everyone has to believe something is right on this team, but while Kaaya has been brilliant at times, his last six quarters of football is not encouraging, especially if he is suppossed to be a fiery leader on the sideline (he wasn't at Cincy, that's for sure).

And though we'll never know for certain ... I'd argue Kaaya would probably be a rs-frosh right now if Golden would have accepted Brissett's interest to transfer. Kaaya would not have played a down last season, and would likely be the back-up this season.

You're seriously using QBR to measure Kaaya's ability? Wow. First of all look who's ahead of him. Lamar Jackson who is a better runner than QB, Matt Johns a JR who has 5 more INTs than Kaaya, Jacoby Brissett is a NFL talent, Marquise Williams also a better runner than QB, and Deshaun Watson who throws the ball 1/2 the amount of times Kaaya does. Not to mention points added for Williams and Jackson's rushing yards. Does QBR take into account an offensive coordinator's pass happy gameplan? Does QBR record drops? Does QBR record pressures, hurries, and or sacks?

That is a cherrypicked stat that is disingenuous. Do you really think Matt Johns with his 8 TD's and his 6 picks is better than Kaaya? What about Lamar Jackson and his 450 total passing yards?

Advertisement
Let's try this. Where does Kaaya rank in the ACC amongst QB's? If your answer is any number lower than 2 please explain.

MIATL already did that, but your premise is flawed. Kaaya may rank higher or lower than another teams QB, but the expectations of him and in concert, the belief in him by this fan base are greater than any of the other QB's, even Golson (see Dalvin Cook). This whole team needs work, including Kaaya. Lets get this out of the way: I know I am not blaming him for the losses, that is on Golden and Golden alone. However, you have to be objective in looking at Kaaya's performance and a lot of fans refuse to do so.

Again, it is an observation based on what they see and what I see. Dual Threat vs. pro style? Heck, we have threads galore on this and who is their starter now?

Cardale Jones, Ohio State, Pro-Style Quarterback

Yep, pro style. Unlike Hulkacaniac, i'm the last guy in the world to be a Sucknut, but Kaaya had 0 TD passes against a Cincinnati secondary...a Cincinnati secondary

I know everyone has to believe something is right on this team, but while Kaaya has been brilliant at times, his last six quarters of football is not encouraging, especially if he is suppossed to be a fiery leader on the sideline (he wasn't at Cincy, that's for sure).

And I'm not arguing that he's playing good football. But to call him average and question his ability is where a line has to be drawn. Everyone goes through a bad stretch and yet here we are not being sold on a legitimate QB who has had two average games. Maybe I ride for my players too much but Kaaya is not a problem. It would be different if he was turning the ball over.

You're seriously using QBR to measure Kaaya's ability? Wow. First of all look who's ahead of him. Lamar Jackson who is a better runner than QB, Matt Johns a JR who has 5 more INTs than Kaaya, Jacoby Brissett is a NFL talent, Marquise Williams also a better runner than QB, and Deshaun Watson who throws the ball 1/2 the amount of times Kaaya does. Not to mention points added for Williams and Jackson's rushing yards. Does QBR take into account an offensive coordinator's pass happy gameplan? Does QBR record drops? Does QBR record pressures, hurries, and or sacks?

Do we want to use Kaaya's last game as the measuring stick?

He should have been the best QB on the field, especially going against UC's back-up. Objectively speaking, was there much difference between Kaaya and Hayden Moore?

Moore had a better completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, higher yards per completion, more yards, and more TD passes ...

Kaaya is not special, yet. Maybe if the team was loaded, he might be. But he can't carry the team, which is why I don't consider him a stud.

That is a cherrypicked stat that is disingenuous. Do you really think Matt Johns with his 8 TD's and his 6 picks is better than Kaaya? What about Lamar Jackson and his 450 total passing yards?

I thought QBR was suppose to be the most objective measure?

If the debate is what 2 QBs might get drafted before Kaaya, I'm not interested in that debate. I don't care about the NFL draft, I care about Miami wins and losses.

Our coaches are not good ... So, we need our QB to be special. Kaaya was a true frosh last year ... I get it. But he's a 2nd year starter now. It's, supposedly, Brad's team. If that's the case, he can't let us lose to Cincinnati. He can't only score 3 points in the 2nd half against that defense. And he can't get outplayed by their back-up QB.

Aside from that ... I sat in that stadium and watch him miss wide open guys. He fixated on a read, and went with it. But there were multiple instances of guys breaking open, but Brad would force something to a player ..

Advertisement
Back