Norvell's Short Term Rebuilding Approach

So, he beats Clemson, and comes within a minute of beating FSU at Doak, but with a weaker schedule and a lot more talent and a second year with the OC, we can't win 10? I don't believe that's true. 2 of our 3 toughest games were led by him and he performed well.

As always, nothing is guaranteed, but to think him starting the whole year and winning 10 is impossible, is just not true - even if you really want it to not be possible.
There is no guarantee next years team will be better than this years. Most of the talent is young and unproven.

Advertisement
So, he beats Clemson, and comes within a minute of beating FSU at Doak, but with a weaker schedule and a lot more talent and a second year with the OC, we can't win 10? I don't believe that's true. 2 of our 3 toughest games were led by him and he performed well.

As always, nothing is guaranteed, but to think him starting the whole year and winning 10 is impossible, is just not true - even if you really want it to not be possible.
HE did not beat Clemson, nor did HE almost beat FSU. Trent Dilfer did not win the super bowl. If you are saying he played his position well, I would say even that is up for debate.

I think Norvell’s primarily portal approach has started to show two glaring weaknesses: One, when the **** hits the fan, and inevitably it will, these hired mercenaries are literally running people over on the way out of the burning building. No allegiances, or care whatsoever for the school. Two, depth. Watching that game, I honestly think Georgia’s second/third string could have given FSU’s starters a game. The obvious difference in talent and depth was unreal.

I like Emory.
He was our QB when we beat Clemson, but he didn’t beat Clemson.
He didn’t lose the game for us and the guys played hard for him when he was back there.
I give him credit for that.

Similar in the FSU game.
Maybe that 1 key throw was coming vs FSU (after only 7 completions), we will never know, but we win that game with an experienced, competent QB.

There’s going to be 4 or 5 games where our QB will have to win the game for us next year.
From what I’ve seen of Emory so far, I don’t think he’s that guy.

Advertisement
Norvell did what he had to to survive.He was on the hot seat and his recruiting classes were mid so he used most of his NIL on impact portals.He's had back to back good/great seasons and he's bought himself more time.This year they spent more in their class and it was much better than their last few and they don't seem to have the cash to duplicate their last couple portal classes so he's starting over building again.We'll see if he can,we better not lose to him again at home with the talent advante we have over them.

Mario and Dawson after they get a QB need to sit with McDaniel from the Dolphins and get some creativity in the offensive scheme. That should absolutely be an asset with being in Miami. McDaniel seems like a cool guy who wouldnt mind sharing some insight. They just have to shed ego and be willing to expand and learn. Gotta figure the d line class would improve depth there where teams wont burn us up on the ground. It was crazy to see our d line getting washed so much and not being able to set the edges.
Unfortunately we've been cursed with coaches who have Smartest Man in the Room Syndrome. If McDaniel is willing it's really a no brainer to talk offense with him whenever you can.

You also assume your coach knows how to take a knee.
You’re a good poster.
i was about to jump in on this convo earlier, but…
I know where you stand and I hope I make myself clear when I say “i know where you stand for good reason”.
The conversation was about the talent and their progression.
Yes, unproven. Who knows how they’ll pan out?

The coaching is the constant separate from the talent in question. How Mario costs us games this year on a potentially 9-4 team or next year is a different (valid) subject.
When a response goes to that ^, regardless of subject, It’s game-set-match.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unfortunately we've been cursed with coaches who have Smartest Man in the Room Syndrome. If McDaniel is willing it's really a no brainer to talk offense with him whenever you can.
It makes too much sense. And if it Cam Ward what better way to better your stock then build a new creative offense with a current NFL offensive guru's thoughts and concepts. Obviously if that was the case and offense picked up its a win win for everybody involved.

HE did not beat Clemson, nor did HE almost beat FSU. Trent Dilfer did not win the super bowl. If you are saying he played his position well, I would say even that is up for debate.
The question is - can an Emory led team be successful next year? We have an easier schedule and more talent on the team, plus our coordinators are coming back, bringing some consistency.

Next year is not about winning the national championship, it's about winning 10 games and proving to the nation that we're getting better and Mario's plan is working. I believe that we can get there with either Emory or JB. HOWEVER, if we get a stud QB, then every expectation changes.

I like Emory.
He was our QB when we beat Clemson, but he didn’t beat Clemson.
He didn’t lose the game for us and the guys played hard for him when he was back there.
I give him credit for that.

Similar in the FSU game.
Maybe that 1 key throw was coming vs FSU (after only 7 completions), we will never know, but we win that game with an experienced, competent QB.

There’s going to be 4 or 5 games where our QB will have to win the game for us next year.
From what I’ve seen of Emory so far, I don’t think he’s that guy.
To be clear, I'm not an Emory shill - I believe that JB (who I'm not sure should stay at QB) could also take us to 9-10 wins.

We will more than likely own the trenches in all 12 regular season games. With an easier schedule, returning coordinators, the overall increase in talent, the 2 DT transfers that shore up the interior on D, etc. There are no excuses for Mario this season. The rock bottom minimum is 9 wins, but really should be 10 wins.

To be continued...

Advertisement
The question is - can an Emory led team be successful next year? We have an easier schedule and more talent on the team, plus our coordinators are coming back, bringing some consistency.

Next year is not about winning the national championship, it's about winning 10 games and proving to the nation that we're getting better and Mario's plan is working. I believe that we can get there with either Emory or JB. HOWEVER, if we get a stud QB, then every expectation changes.
Richt won 10 games with Rosier at QB. We still sucked. Winning 10 games is not some gauge for long term success. Long term success means finding a quarterback much better than the guys we have that aren't good to begin with.

Richt won 10 games with Rosier at QB. We still sucked. Winning 10 games is not some gauge for long term success. Long term success means finding a quarterback much better than the guys we have that aren't good to begin with.
But, winning ten games is better than going 7-6. Mario's huge strength with recruiting can go crazier than it already is with 10 wins and then we'll have stacked (more than likely) 3 top 7 classes in a row.

But, winning ten games is better than going 7-6. Mario's huge strength with recruiting can go crazier than it already is with 10 wins and then we'll have stacked (more than likely) 3 top 7 classes in a row.
Depends on what those 10 wins look like. If they grind it out and the QB and WR's look like trash, it doesn't move the needle at all.

Advertisement
Mario and Dawson after they get a QB need to sit with McDaniel from the Dolphins and get some creativity in the offensive scheme. That should absolutely be an asset with being in Miami. McDaniel seems like a cool guy who wouldnt mind sharing some insight. They just have to shed ego and be willing to expand and learn. Gotta figure the d line class would improve depth there where teams wont burn us up on the ground. It was crazy to see our d line getting washed so much and not being able to set the edges.
Just 5 mins with McDaniel and Mario’s head would explode

I mean Mario, from most fans perspectives, isn’t exactly sitting pretty in his seat. A loss early in the season (….not going to say the name of the team) and his seat is going to be absolutely scorching.

He needs to be approaching next season as if he’s on the hot seat.
Mario has 8 years left on his contract. Unless you are willing to step up and pay off the next 8 years, He is not even close to being on the hotseat for the foreseeable future..

Advertisement
Back