Norvell's Short Term Rebuilding Approach

"If you notice in games, the other teams start getting tired in the second half. We had a really high play count -- almost 80 plays in this last game and I think they started getting tired."
This, to me is the biggest issue with our coach’s preference on offense. You don’t wear teams down by going slow. You don’t get scared and go into a shell offensively when you have a small lead. The tighter the game the harder you push. Conservative coaches coach scared to lose. Good coaches coach to win.

It’s not about passing more or running more. It’s about aggression on offense. Using tempo to wear out opponents. Going for it on fourth down instead of settling for field goals. Keeping your foot on the gas when you have a lead. We saw this team play aggressively when TVD was healthy against A&M. They CAN coach to win instead of coaching scared. They just have to be willing to grow some balls.

Advertisement
You don't need the next 2 years. Its already set.

The teams that did work in the portal turned stuff around right away...**** Deion flipped a whole team and really should of been at 6 wins but won 4 with a team that won 1 the year b4. Norvell ran off 19 str8...and we have ppl still waiting on empiracal data while we limp to 12 wins (whole lot of close calls in the 12), and pick up a sh*t ton of jags in the portal for "depth" lol
Deion is the most extreme of cases. He flipped all but eight players.

Lol Texas A&M is such a bad example everyone knows Jimbo is the worst at building culture and accountability.

But still you chose to ignore all other edvidence to try and support your case.

So what about Bama, Clemson, UGa, OSU, Oregon, Texas…we going to ignore them stacking top 5-10 classes and getting results?
In the case of Texas it’s the quarterback. Take Ewers away and they are not in this years NC tournament.

Advertisement
Its hilarious watching them think this way...i guess blind optimism but the thought process is we are on ah igher trajectory and a better team than them right now which is INSANE to me considering they are an undefeated team lol.

Guys are talking about.."lOok How theY FiNIShed the class" we flipped Armondo Blount bs as if that holds a sh*t ton of weight in the grand scheme
You aren't accounting for the almost wins...

Lol Texas A&M is such a bad example everyone knows Jimbo is the worst at building culture and accountability.

But still you chose to ignore all other edvidence to try and support your case.

So what about Bama, Clemson, UGa, OSU, Oregon, Texas…we going to ignore them stacking top 5-10 classes and getting results?
This culture **** is a CIS creation. Winning changes the culture not some meathead with cool phrases. Please do not recycle the bull**** from this website and use it as fact.

Advertisement
I mean Mario, from most fans perspectives, isn’t exactly sitting pretty in his seat. A loss early in the season (….not going to say the name of the team) and his seat is going to be absolutely scorching.

He needs to be approaching next season as if he’s on the hot seat.
Mario's seat is very comfortable right now.

Culture my *** uga just has better players

Spit those facts Kirby for those still in anime scientific schematic lala land

Kirby had better players even with a fully healthy FSU squad and Jordan Travis. UGA probably wins by 21+ still.

With that being said the Dawgs had all the reason in the world to opt out en masse. They had seven starters out I think but FSU had almost double that.

Why? Because Smart understands that each win is important especially when u sell stuff to recruits. You see it in Saban's pitch about his national championships, SEc titles, first round picks etc etc. Smart build that team from the ground up and most of those players are bought in to UGA. FSU? Had one year rentals that QUIT. That's the difference between recruiting and one year NFL portal rentals. Your "great players" have a higher chance of actually playing for you and "buying in" to the program as a whole.

With two top five classes and three portal cycles I expect the improvement to continue trending upwards . But yes you are correct that another 6-6/7-6 type season and he will he right there too.
That’s what they said at TX A&M. Top 5 classes yearly with one being one of the best of all time. If your coaching is 💩 it doesn’t matter

Just win. Hes winning. Were not.
I think it’s possible to build and win to a degree and that’s what should have been happening.

Mario wasn’t trying to not win. He had a proven QB in TVD and other talented players. Norvell is a better game day coach by a country mile, and he smartly plumed the portal well.

Here’s the thing, 2 or more years from now, the Noles record of 23-4 for 22-23’ will look very successful and only petty CFB wonks will scream out , “Yeah, well they didn’t build for the future!!”

Guys, I HATE the Noles, but at the end of the day, moral victories are empty calories and only actual victories carry any weight.

I mean, if we’re lucky, starting with next year’s Gator game, Mario will get to 23 W’s in 2 and a half seasons. That’s being optimistic and that would be his 5th season.

Everyone is blasting Norvell, and yes, he did catch lightning in a bottle with some Portal successes, but he made his own luck and don’t think for a second that he’ll lose 6 games next year. That’s what our coach would do in the same situation.

Uugghhh, I feel filthy even writing these things, but they are true. Bottom line is - ultimately, the scoreboard matters the most (regardless of Portal players) and our turnaround HAS to start with the 24’ season or else we’ll be looking for a new HC.

Advertisement
This culture **** is a CIS creation. Winning changes the culture not some meathead with cool phrases. Please do not recycle the bull**** from this website and use it as fact.

It’s you who clearly need to read something outside this site more if you think the only way to build culture is by winning first.

In fact you couldn’t be further from the truth. No one wins or becomes a champion by accident you have to behave and train like one and have a championship culture first.

It’s you who clearly need to read something outside this site more if you think the only way to build culture is by winning first.

In fact you couldn’t be further from the truth. No one wins or becomes a champion by accident you have to behave and train like one and have a championship culture first.
K

Advertisement
You know what? If we want a chance at a Cinderella story and actually go all the way and play for the NC, then yes, he will need to hit a homerun.

I don't think any reasonable fan or major donor expects a NC next year, not after 5-7,7-6 and the GT game. But, for the health of the program and to be building somewhere, we can win 10 games with Emory. Think about it, he beat Clemson and NEARLY beat FSU on the road with them at full capacity with all of their major contributors.

To have a Cinderella season, which we are waaaay overdue for, sure, let's get a stud QB transfer, but for next season to be a success, even with a stud QB, Mario has a lot growing and refining to do.
This team can’t win 10 games with Emory. It probably can’t win 8. You hoping something, doesn’t make it true.

You don't need to do it in CFB 2023 by losing 13 of your first 25 games, including blowout losses, bonehead decisions leading to losses and repeating the same mistakes leading to losses... That isn't building culture, its losing football games...

Last edited:
Mario and Dawson after they get a QB need to sit with McDaniel from the Dolphins and get some creativity in the offensive scheme. That should absolutely be an asset with being in Miami. McDaniel seems like a cool guy who wouldnt mind sharing some insight. They just have to shed ego and be willing to expand and learn. Gotta figure the d line class would improve depth there where teams wont burn us up on the ground. It was crazy to see our d line getting washed so much and not being able to set the edges.
Win win. Mcdaniel offers insight and prepares some offensive players he may wanna draft

This team can’t win 10 games with Emory. It probably can’t win 8. You hoping something, doesn’t make it true.
So, he beats Clemson, and comes within a minute of beating FSU at Doak, but with a weaker schedule and a lot more talent and a second year with the OC, we can't win 10? I don't believe that's true. 2 of our 3 toughest games were led by him and he performed well.

As always, nothing is guaranteed, but to think him starting the whole year and winning 10 is impossible, is just not true - even if you really want it to not be possible.

Advertisement
Back