Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

I think the stadium still has 4k or seats uninstalled because of the city zoning. Whoever's idea it was, Paul wound up getting it done with both donors and city, so I will give him credit for that. But he was generally awful at his job.

You may know or remember better than me, but who did he initially target instead of Butch? I know it was not a desired gig at the time with the sanctions and thought I remember a few people turning it down before Butch accepted.

I'm not sure if I know all the candidates, but the most well-known candidate was...Jim Tressel. We offered him the job.

We also approached Wannstedt, but he had just finished his second year with the Bears and wasn't interested. Not sure that we ever made him a formal offer.

I also recall (and I don't have hardcore proof on this) that we tried to approach Tuberville, but he was scurred of the NCAA stuff and went with Ole Miss instead.

Advertisement
I've a question on the whole Pell Grant thing: what where Pell Grants? And somehow I don't think we were the only school that abused them...

I've a question on the whole Pell Grant thing: what where Pell Grants? And somehow I don't think we were the only school that abused them...
Tony Russell worked as an academic advisor at UM, had players fraudulently sign up for Pell Grants (financial aid for tuition provided by the federal government), and skimmed money off the top.

Tony Russell worked as an academic advisor at UM, had players fraudulently sign up for Pell Grants (financial aid for tuition provided by the federal government), and skimmed money off the top.

what determines how long they are going to keep a story online? that thing is ancient.

Advertisement

A Pell Grant is a federal grant of money to be used for college. It is needs-based.

You would never "apply" for a Pell Grant as a formal issue. You would simply fill out your Financial Aid form. If you qualified for a Pell Grant, you got one. If you didn't, you didn't.

When you filled out your FAFSA (financial aid form), they would send you two items. One was the form that you were supposed to give to UM. The other was a form you could send back, in order to make any "corrections".

Tony Russell knew the ins and outs of the form, income levels, marital status, etc. that would allow students to qualify for Pell Grants. So, for a fee of a couple hundred dollars, Tony would show students how to "correct" the original FAFSA that their parents filled out. Then, magically, the students would get Pell Grants that were $1K to $3K in size.

Tony testified that he did this for HUNDREDS of students (and student-athletes) at DOZENS of schools, including several of our rival schools in Florida. However, the feds never seemed to give a ****e about anyone outside of UM, and the NCAA **** sure didn't do anything to investigate anyone outside of UM.

All but 2 football players settled with the feds immediately, repaying the money and doing the community service, etc. Lamar Thomas and Jason Marucci delayed and were either indicted, or about to be indicted, and then they managed to work out settlements too.

The NCAA punished Miami because of (a) Tony Russell's actions, even though rogue, as an Athletic Department employee, and (b) the "lack of institutional control" associated with UM not checking the athletes' FAFSAs more closely (i.e., maybe a baseball player could "need" a Pell Grant, but not a football or basketball player, as they got full-ride scholarships).

A Pell Grant is a federal grant of money to be used for college. It is needs-based.

You would never "apply" for a Pell Grant as a formal issue. You would simply fill out your Financial Aid form. If you qualified for a Pell Grant, you got one. If you didn't, you didn't.

When you filled out your FAFSA (financial aid form), they would send you two items. One was the form that you were supposed to give to UM. The other was a form you could send back, in order to make any "corrections".

Tony Russell knew the ins and outs of the form, income levels, marital status, etc. that would allow students to qualify for Pell Grants. So, for a fee of a couple hundred dollars, Tony would show students how to "correct" the original FAFSA that their parents filled out. Then, magically, the students would get Pell Grants that were $1K to $3K in size.

Tony testified that he did this for HUNDREDS of students (and student-athletes) at DOZENS of schools, including several of our rival schools in Florida. However, the feds never seemed to give a ****e about anyone outside of UM, and the NCAA **** sure didn't do anything to investigate anyone outside of UM.

All but 2 football players settled with the feds immediately, repaying the money and doing the community service, etc. Lamar Thomas and Jason Marucci delayed and were either indicted, or about to be indicted, and then they managed to work out settlements too.

The NCAA punished Miami because of (a) Tony Russell's actions, even though rogue, as an Athletic Department employee, and (b) the "lack of institutional control" associated with UM not checking the athletes' FAFSAs more closely (i.e., maybe a baseball player could "need" a Pell Grant, but not a football or basketball player, as they got full-ride scholarships).
Thanks to everyone who replied. I remember when it happened. I knew other schools had to have done the same. Stinking ncaa, they are the ones that should be investigated.

Advertisement
64520AAD-1F7D-4E9D-A916-FBFE82F964E7.jpeg

😂😭

I will take that stance instead of what’s coming out of Gainesville. Not gonna end well for them, but I’ll at least give them respect for taking that mentality.

This, in a nutshell, is why I always correct people who call UiF "little bother." They don't get even that marginal respect.
F$U is little brother.
UiF is the little sister who dresses like a hoe despite pushing 200 lbs. Mom and dad just quit trying... and her older brothers suspect she's adopted.

Advertisement
FSU is in trouble this season with that schedule. I already thought their normal schedule before covid was difficult. But this ACC slate is even tougher. 5-6 is my prediction.

K
Screenshot_20200730-132818_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200730-132902_Chrome.jpg

Da fuq?

This guy does realize his program is anal juice right now....right? That his roster is rapidly declining in impact players, has major holes at qb, rb, O-line and wr, and are about to supplement that with a boring/average recruiting class this year? I doubt a major program like ND is all that excited about playing FSU right now. That's because of apathy, not fear.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back