Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
The issue with FSU fans is they haven’t realized how hard it is to replace a great coach. We were guilty too after going from Schnelly, JJ, Erickson and Butch.
They had Bowden for decades and then really lucked out with Jimbo. But now they are going to find out that those guys don’t grow on trees and are following the same downward spiral we did.

The issue with FSU fans is they haven’t realized how hard it is to replace a great coach. We were guilty too after going from Schnelly, JJ, Erickson and Butch.
They had Bowden for decades and then really lucked out with Jimbo. But now they are going to find out that those guys don’t grow on trees and are following the same downward spiral we did.

I think Franchise said a little while back that they were due for a couple of **** hires after being so spoiled with bowden and cuckbo. Hoping Norvell follows in the footsteps of Slick Willie

Advertisement
I think Franchise said a little while back that they were due for a couple of **** hires after being so spoiled with bowden and cuckbo. Hoping Norvell follows in the footsteps of Slick Willie
It was really pretty amazing Miami had so much sustained success from Schnellenberger through Coker given we were having to hire a new coach every 5 or so years. It is really hard to hit in the coaching lottery. Not sure you will see sustained success over that time with that many changes again.

Bowden gave them so much stability and consistency that they were a machine. He had a bunch of assistants that were long timers with him. They kind of got lucky with Jimbo’s early success but that waned and I think they’ve blown it bad on the last two. Norvell isn’t even trying to recruit south Florida. I don’t think FSU has any chance to be anything more than average if that’s going to be the case.

It was really pretty amazing Miami had so much sustained success from Schnellenberger through Coker given we were having to hire a new coach every 5 or so years. It is really hard to hit in the coaching lottery. Not sure you will see sustained success over that time with that many changes again.

Bowden gave them so much stability and consistency that they were a machine. He had a bunch of assistants that were long timers with him. They kind of got lucky with Jimbo’s early success but that waned and I think they’ve blown it bad on the last two. Norvell isn’t even trying to recruit south Florida. I don’t think FSU has any chance to be anything more than average if that’s going to be the case.

AD's matter bro.....Paul Dee has been greatly missed.

AD's matter bro.....Paul Dee has been greatly missed.
Not Paul Dee bro. There is only one GOAT AD.
71976B8D-9D2D-4AB4-8E92-2F82EF653BB5.jpeg

Advertisement

All due respect to theibisrules (Paul ManaDee was no genius), but the lion's share of the credit has to go to Sam Jankovich.

Let's review.

People don't realize that Lou Saban was ALSO named Miami's Athletic Director in early 1978. Saban signed Jim Kelly in February 1978. The Hillel incident happened in April 1978, BUT SABAN STAYED THROUGH THE 1978 SEASON. But when he resigned, it left Miami in an incredibly weak position, as we had to replace both the head coach and the AD. I am not sure of the order of hirings, but I know that Doc Mallios served as the AD from 1979-1983 before Jankovich was hired (I once worked with Doc's son Carl). The bottom line is that Miami was frantic when it was time to hire Schnellenberger, and the fact that Howard had served two terms as the Dolphins OC really made him an obvious (if desperation) choice. We got lucky.

But when Schnellenberger left, instead of finding a guy 20 miles away, Sam Jankovich managed to identify Jimmy Johnson out at Oklahoma State. And then when JJ left, Jankovich identified Dennis Erickson from Washington State. Two UNBELIEVABLE out-of-nowhere GENIUS hires.

After Jankovich...it went back to normal.

Butch (a great hire, don't get me wrong) was, like, our fourth choice and had previously worked for UM.

Coker was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Randy was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Richt was a UM alum.

Manny was (almost) working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Since Sam Jankovich walked the earth, the only out-of-nowhere hire that Miami has made as been Al Freakin' Golden.

We got lucky with Howard and Butch, but the JJ and Dennis hires were pure genius.

Sam was the man. Nobody can touch him when it comes to Head Coach hires. Nobody.

PS - just saw Canesfreak's post. Spot on.

Last edited:
All due respect to theibisrules (Paul ManaDee was no genius), but the lion's share of the credit has to go to Sam Jankovich.

Let's review.

People don't realize that Lou Saban was ALSO named Miami's Athletic Director in early 1978. Saban signed Jim Kelly in February 1978. The Hillel incident happened in April 1978, BUT SABAN STAYED THROUGH THE 1978 SEASON. But when he resigned, it left Miami in an incredibly weak position, as we had to replace both the head coach and the AD. I am not sure of the order of hirings, but I know that Doc Mallios served as the AD from 1979-1983 before Jankovich was hired (I once worked with Doc's son Carl). The bottom line is that Miami was frantic when it was time to hire Schnellenberger, and the fact that Howard had served two terms as the Dolphins OC really made him an obvious (if desperation) choice. We got lucky.

But when Schnellenberger left, instead of finding a guy 20 miles away, Sam Jankovich managed to identify Jimmy Johnson out at Oklahoma State. And then when JJ left, Schnellenberger identified Dennis Erickson from Washington State. Two UNBELIEVABLE out-of-nowhere GENIUS hires.

After Jankovich...it went back to normal.

Butch (a great hire, don't get me wrong) was, like, our fourth choice and had previously worked for UM.

Coker was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Randy was actually working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Richt was a UM alum.

Manny was (almost) working for UM when he was hired as HC.

Since Sam Jankovich walked the earth, the only out-of-nowhere hire that Miami has made as been Al Freakin' Golden.

We got lucky with Howard and Butch, but the JJ and Dennis hires were pure genius.

Sam was the man. Nobody can touch him when it comes to Head Coach hires. Nobody.

PS - just saw Canesfreak's post. Spot on.
I like Paul as a person quite a bit. Took a sports law class with him when in law school at UM, which pretty much turned into him telling glory stories. It was awesome. Super nice guy who was around for all of the glory years, between his time as general counsel and then AD.

He did three good things as AD - Butch, Jim Morris, and the on campus basketball stadium. Other than that, he hired Coker, Shannon, Frank Haith, and Perry Clark, and played at least some role in the Pell Grant issue, Nevin, and the Orange Bowl. Those are some colossal mistakes.

+1, it wasn't even just the success of the FB program with Sam, we also had nattys in baseball, tennis and golf during his time here. It was under Sam that the basketball program was reinstated and the Leonard Hamilton hire was a good one given we had generally nothing to offer at that point. Sam accomplished a ton in 7 years.

Any truth to this?

DEVELOPING: Out of FSU I'm hearing that Khalan Laborn was dismissed because he wore Headphones, Earrings, and a Hoodie into the Athletic Center simultaneously as an act of protest. Many within the program supported his actions but the decision came swiftly from Norvell himself

Rumor.

The reason he was dismissed so quickly - it was Norvell that fell for Khalan's "Pull my finger" trick.

In front of Norvell's personal "Cycling Karaoke Workout" tutor.

Advertisement
FSWho is so ridiculous right now, it's not even worth spending time trying to slurp up tear drops...BACK TO THE GAYTURD TEARS THREAD...I'm thirsty

I like Paul as a person quite a bit. Took a sports law class with him when in law school at UM, which pretty much turned into him telling glory stories. It was awesome. Super nice guy who was around for all of the glory years, between his time as general counsel and then AD.

He did three good things as AD - Butch, Jim Morris, and the on campus basketball stadium. Other than that, he hired Coker, Shannon, Frank Haith, and Perry Clark, and played at least some role in the Pell Grant issue, Nevin, and the Orange Bowl. Those are some colossal mistakes.

For perspective, the basketball arena groundbreaking took place while I was an undergrad (pre-Dee), the named-sponsor was supposed to be Ryder. Then a combo platter of "bad economy" (George H.W. Bush) and Coral Gables zoning derailed the project for over a decade.

Dee may have gotten the arena over the finish line, but it wasn't his brainchild, it was Jankovich's. As was "bringing back men's basketball" in the first place.

FtMyersCane has it right, Sam also identified Bill Foster as our "first" basketball coach (once we revived the program) and Bill brought UM a lot of credibility (even though we were stuck as an independent for his entire tenure) and Leonard Hamilton as our "second" basketball coach.

Advertisement
For perspective, the basketball arena groundbreaking took place while I was an undergrad (pre-Dee), the named-sponsor was supposed to be Ryder. Then a combo platter of "bad economy" (George H.W. Bush) and Coral Gables zoning derailed the project for over a decade.

Dee may have gotten the arena over the finish line, but it wasn't his brainchild, it was Jankovich's. As was "bringing back men's basketball" in the first place.

FtMyersCane has it right, Sam also identified Bill Foster as our "first" basketball coach (once we revived the program) and Bill brought UM a lot of credibility (even though we were stuck as an independent for his entire tenure) and Leonard Hamilton as our "second" basketball coach.
I think the stadium still has 4k or seats uninstalled because of the city zoning. Whoever's idea it was, Paul wound up getting it done with both donors and city, so I will give him credit for that. But he was generally awful at his job.

You may know or remember better than me, but who did he initially target instead of Butch? I know it was not a desired gig at the time with the sanctions and thought I remember a few people turning it down before Butch accepted.

Advertisement
Back