Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

FSU between a rock and a hard place....

1593107227926.png

Advertisement
I wish they'd just stop insulting Native American Indians with their chants and tomahawk chop. This is somehow paying homage to the Seminole tribe?

I grew up 20 minutes from the Meskwaki tribe of Tama, Iowa. My youth basketball coach was 1/2 indian and we always played in a tournament on Meskwaki reservation. They were really good and played us in the championship game just about every year. It's kind of hard to openly insult people once you get to know them.

I always cringe when I hear the FSU crowd start with their chanting and tomahawk chop. Do people realize the inhumane things done to to remove Native American Indians? The governent killed nearly all the Buffalo to starve them when they wouldn't give up their lands.

View attachment 120068

To put it in perspective, what if a school made their mascot after the Zulu tribe of South Africa. Their mascot would be Shaka Zulu the legendary chief of the Zulu Nation. The mascot would be in full tribal war gear, face painted black, and the band played the African drums while the crowd made Zulu war chants and a spear chucking motion. Would that be racist? Offensive to black people? It's pretty much the same thing done to Native Americans. There's just too few of them to have a voice to push back.

I don’t care what those idiots call their team or their stadium. But the Seminole tribe of Florida has not made an issue of it, and yes I know they’ve gotten broken off. Unless the Seminole tribe of Florida officially advocates for it, I doubt there are going to be any changes

I don’t care what those idiots call their team or their stadium. But the Seminole tribe of Florida has not made an issue of it, and yes I know they’ve gotten broken off. Unless the Seminole tribe of Florida officially advocates for it, I doubt there are going to be any changes
That's because it's been made political. They get benefits from putting up with this and using their name. Do you really need to be told by somebody that it's offensive? I just gave an example that should be easy to follow. I guess people like anything else just don't care unless it affects them.

Just like the Washington Redskins. The owner that originated the name was a bigot. He was one the one who originated the name "Redskins." They removed his name from the ring of honor and his statute, but won't change their name. Something so obvious that has remained for decades. As a black man I am ashamed of the black people in D.C. for not demanding change. They are just as much at fault because they should know better as a disenfranchised people. Change the name to DC Blackskins and see how many people complain then. After all, it's known as chocolate city.

What if Jacksonville, Tampa, Tennesee, or Corolina changes their name to the "Rednecks?" Would that offend some people? Food for thought.

That's because it's been made political. They get benefits from putting up with this and using their name. Do you really need to be told by somebody that it's offensive? I just gave an example that should be easy to follow. I guess people like anything else just don't care unless it affects them.

Just like the Washington Redskins. The owner that originated the name was a bigot. He was one the one who originated the name "Redskins." They removed his name from the ring of honor and his statute, but won't change their name. Something so obvious that has remained for decades. As a black man I am ashamed of the black people in D.C. for not demanding change. They are just as much at fault because they should know better as a disenfranchised people. Change the name to DC Blackskins and see how many people complain then. After all, it's known as chocolate city.

What if Jacksonville, Tampa, Tennesee, or Corolina changes their name to the "Rednecks?" Would that offend some people? Food for thought.

What do you mean "what if"?

You ever heard of the volunteers? Rebels? Celtics? Tar Heels? Fighting Irish? Matadors? Trojans? Spartans? Saints? Swedes? Gauchos?

I mean we could go on and on. Either we have mascots or just call the schools by their name.

Advertisement
What do you mean "what if"?

I mean we could go on and on. Either we have mascots or just call the schools by their name.
Yes, but we don't need to be using names that are or can be considered racial stereotypes, caricatures, and/or epithets. All these racially inspired mascots were done by white people in their arrogant supremacy of privilege. I doubt that any of the teams or schools got permission from the various groups before they used them as props for their school.

You don’t need to take this up with me. Take it up with the Seminole Tribe of Florida, and the Florida State athletic department. It’s between those two entities. As far as the Skins, yep pretty sad name. But then again, that’s up to their ownership and their own moral compass and guidance.

Well aware of the history of the indigenous people of the Americas. Sadly that has been the history of all mankind, way before even the Romans invaded Britain and subjugated their indigenous people, who themselves most likely (according to archaeologist/historians) subjugated and wiped out the prior indigenous tribes. Round and round it went. This is the history of Homo Sapiens.

The good news is, most modern societies have evolved, and that kind of thing is a lot more difficult/rare now. Unfortunately, there’s not too many indigenous people left throughout the world.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wish they'd just stop insulting Native American Indians with their chants and tomahawk chop. This is somehow paying homage to the Seminole tribe?

I grew up 20 minutes from the Meskwaki tribe of Tama, Iowa. My youth basketball coach was 1/2 indian and we always played in a tournament on Meskwaki reservation. They were really good and played us in the championship game just about every year. It's kind of hard to openly insult people once you get to know them.

I always cringe when I hear the FSU crowd start with their chanting and tomahawk chop. Do people realize the inhumane things done to to remove Native American Indians? The governent killed nearly all the Buffalo to starve them when they wouldn't give up their lands.

View attachment 120068

To put it in perspective, what if a school made their mascot after the Zulu tribe of South Africa. Their mascot would be Shaka Zulu the legendary chief of the Zulu Nation. The mascot would be in full tribal war gear, face painted black, and the band played the African drums while the crowd made Zulu war chants and a spear chucking motion. Would that be racist? Offensive to black people? It's pretty much the same thing done to Native Americans. There's just too few of them to have a voice to push back.

Didn't you just call that coach half INDIAN. That's pretty insensitive of you.

Advertisement

View attachment 120068

Completely agree

It depends if the FSU students advocate for a change.

Taking the original owners name off of their ring of honor because he was a racist, but keeping 'Redskins' as the team's mascot, the name that the original owner gave the team, is wild as ****. The irony.....

Advertisement

Don't ruin the thread

Advertisement
Back