Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Kidding aside, do you think it might be a sustainable operating model? Not for one year, but permanently having the majority of each year’s signings to be portal players? It would seem that with portal players you would have:

1) More film and be able to better gauge their potential at a P5 level
2) They are older by default and don’t have to acclimate to college, nor need to gain weight in a college S&C program
It has it's benefits, but the down side is having to strike gold every year and getting only 1 year out of said player.

Take Darrel Jackson for example. He transfers from UM to FSU. Although he has 2 years of eligibility left, Norvell likely only gets him for 1 year as I see him entering the NFL draft next year. So, he's a 1-year stop gap.

Is it a sustainable model? It depends on what's considered successful. It's more of an NFL model with free agency except you're signing guys for only 1-2 years. That may get you 8-9 wins, but I don't think it's a way to build a championship program.

You can't stack talent with 1-2 year portal players. It's also doubtful for them to get championship level players out of the portal and definitely not enough of them.

With his small class size, it's clear that heavy reliance on the portal is Norvell's model.

Norvell hasn't recruited well at QB. If Jordan Travis hadn't improved, FSU likely has a losing record and Norvell is fired.

I don't think Travis is great, but he's had a huge role in their offense with his dual threat ability.

I don't know where they go after his eligibility runs out next year. Likely the portal or Tate Rodemyer.

I could see them going 8-4 or 9-3 next year and then falling on their face at 7-5 or 6-6 in 2024 when we'll have stacked back to back top 5 recruiting classes.

FSU will break in a new QB in 2024 with a schedule of potential losses of:
@ Miami
@ ND
Florida
Clemson
UNC
NC State

Advertisement
Lulz, Joseph and Hussey are nice prospects and would have loved to land them but they are complimentary pieces in this class at best.
Yep…. Miami slow played both for most of the cycle anyway…. But with 26 commits in a normal cycle we wouldn’t have room for them anyway…. They’re lucky they were able to hold us off…. Make no mistake they needed them more than us, and I’m sure that played a big role in those players choosing them.

BE553DD1-95B9-45D7-B86C-C802FAD0F38C.png

…and this is exactly why Norvell sucks at recruiting. All elite recruiters do this. The fact that these idjets think that Mario harassed Keem is all the proof anyone needs as to how clueless these geniuses are when it comes to understanding the recruiting game.

It’s no wonder their recruiting is mid.

Advertisement
Probably with the portal is most of it is just average dudes. So if you want to be a top tier program that relies on the transfer, you have to land the few actual impact guys every single portal cycle.

The other problem is the year to year variance. Yeah, Caleb Williams is great. But look at the QBs in the portal this year. There’s a few good ones, and even the good ones aren’t Williams or Fields level QBs.

And some positions just aren’t great any year. Like DL or OL just aren’t good a group that has much in the portal any year.

Your best bet to get a Jared Verse every year isn’t the portal. Because he’s rarely in the portal. Your best bet to land a player at that level is in high school.

…and this is exactly why Norvell sucks at recruiting. All elite recruiters do this. The fact that these idjets think that Mario harassed Keem is all the proof anyone needs as to how clueless these geniuses are when it comes to understanding the recruiting game.

It’s no wonder their recruiting is mid.
Maybe “Keem” just appreciates a proper back rub more than you do.

Advertisement
It has it's benefits, but the down side is having to strike gold every year and getting only 1 year out of said player.

Take Darrel Jackson for example. He transfers from UM to FSU. Although he has 2 years of eligibility left, Norvell likely only gets him for 1 year as I see him entering the NFL draft next year. So, he's a 1-year stop gap.

Is it a sustainable model? It depends on what's considered successful. It's more of an NFL model with free agency except you're signing guys for only 1-2 years. That may get you 8-9 wins, but I don't think it's a way to build a championship program.

You can't stack talent with 1-2 year portal players. It's also doubtful for them to get championship level players out of the portal and definitely not enough of them.

With his small class size, it's clear that heavy reliance on the portal is Norvell's model.

Norvell hasn't recruited well at QB. If Jordan Travis hadn't improved, FSU likely has a losing record and Norvell is fired.

I don't think Travis is great, but he's had a huge role in their offense with his dual threat ability.

I don't know where they go after his eligibility runs out next year. Likely the portal or Tate Rodemyer.

I could see them going 8-4 or 9-3 next year and then falling on their face at 7-5 or 6-6 in 2024 when we'll have stacked back to back top 5 recruiting classes.

FSU will break in a new QB in 2024 with a schedule of potential losses of:
@ Miami
@ ND
Florida
Clemson
UNC
NC State
Agree and I think they are ignoring the importance of culture.

You can’t have almost half the team composed of transfers, meaning they are coming from another college program who may have done things differently.

HS kids come into college with a clean slate and the head coach can imprint how he wants his team to be.

I don’t think that can be done well with transfers.

Advertisement
C'mon, the poor guy's British and you're going to have him shilling out for a fine this close to Christmas?

1. When I was a young buck at 17, I got pulled over on the highway on Christmas Eve coming home from dropping my gf off. The officer walked up to my car. I sounded off on the guy and said "Are you kidding me? Do you have a quota to hit before the new year" The cop replied, "Actually, yeah I do" Wrote me a ticket for doing 64 in a 55. Perhaps that hardened me. I have no hesitation about pulling someone over on XMas Eve Eve. Everyone got a Hall Pass on Wed and will get another one on XMas day.

2. Listen to this and tell me you wouldnt write him a ticket:

3. Your shilling dig was less than sterling for you coach

Advertisement
1. When I was a young buck at 17, I got pulled over on the highway on Christmas Eve coming home from dropping my gf off. The officer walked up to my car. I sounded off on the guy and said "Are you kidding me? Do you have a quota to hit before the new year" The cop replied, "Actually, yeah I do" Wrote me a ticket for doing 64 in a 55. Perhaps that hardened me. I have no hesitation about pulling someone over on XMas Eve Eve. Everyone got a Hall Pass on Wed and will get another one on XMas day.

2. Listen to this and tell me you wouldnt write him a ticket:

3. Your shilling dig was less than sterling for you coach

That's a fine joke right there.

For a school that used to recruit in the top 5 regularly, their fans sure are satisfied with barely top 20 crootin..I’d be irate if I was them after such a supposed amazing season

Advertisement
Back