No practice this week for Miami

They are conditioning and lifting. These guys have been quarantined since August. I (and the coaching + medical staff) think a week off may do them some good, especially this year.

Although i disagree, your reaction is fair.
If you really believe that horse **** lie then I don’t know what to tell you.

Advertisement
Don’t teams normally have time off between the end of the season and starting bowl game practice? To accommodate the end of semester/quarter exams.

Advertisement
Or the fans for putting up with this ****show and expecting anything different? I was actually thinking how strong the opinions in CIS were a minute ago and then ran across this nonsense. Any other coach puts the fear of G-d into their players for that lapse of effort and shows them for taking the game off that they are going to work harder than they ever had to. This guy gives them a pass. He’s trying to be a player’s coach but doesn’t understand what the second part of that name is COACH. He actually has to act like one at times, even if it is unpopular to discipline the players and get them mentally straight as to what’s acceptable and what’s not. They will repeat this not because the kids are losers that surrender due to adversity but because that have been reinforced to give up and not fight. This is not alright! How about we give up the entire next season when Bama runs the train over us beginning game 1? That should be the end of the Diaz era.
My post was sarcasm. Good players or coaches do not need mental breaks. The whole mental break thing was a bs excuse.

Kobe Bryant GIF

Advertisement
We need a lot more than just better players and talent.

To answer your questions.. there has to be accountability for what happened Saturday. The culture here is broken. Nothing they could do next week would fix it, but the fixing needs to begin ASAP.

Ignoring it, which is what they’re doing by saying the players are “emotionally bankrupt”, is just going to let it fester. Last year we saw them lose to FI freakin U, this year they give up 800 yds to a 3 loss team. What’s next?
I never commented on what he said about the players needing a mental break. He shouldn’t have said that. But the “Jimmy and Butch would have done?” brigade is out in full force with the same BS talking points. The reality is..Manny isn’t getting fired after going 8-2. Get over it. We had our chance to fire him last year and we didn’t. Best case scenario is upgrade the talent and make adjustments on the defensive staff. Sending the players out to practice this week does nothing. Us fans are delusional after bad losses. Every fan base is, not just us.

All of you talking about the "weeks off" before the last two games make me laugh. You talk like they were sitting around enjoying themselves. More than 1/3 of the team was out with COVID. Probably another third was quarantining alone in case they contracted it. They weren't on
vacation. And during this they were finishing up the semester and taking finals before the game last week. You think al Blades thinks he had a "vacation" this month?

My post was sarcasm. Good players or coaches do not need mental breaks. The whole mental break thing was a bs excuse.
I recognized that. But it set something off in me (not as a response to your post; rather as a response to all of the threads that I had read about slashing the staff or getting rid of Manny that I thought were overboard until I saw him giving the players a pass by taking off practice).

These kids do not need mental breaks because it reinforces the wrong behavior. Even Pavlov’s dog would agree and also say that Manny is an idiot for doing this if the dog were still alive...and could talk for that matter. But I stand behind my point that we are encouraging the wrong behavior and that Manny appears to have no other reason than to be a popular coach. We would have been bull in the ring and Oklahoma drill for hours after running 110s before and afterwards to make sure that we all vomited whatever we ate and whatever we were going to eat for the next few days. That is how you learn that a lack of effort will not be tolerated and get the team to focus in the face of adversity. That is what needs to be taught, not taking a mental break so to have time to polish a participation award.

Advertisement
Another example of how Manny's intelligence is overrated. He makes way too many excuses and he coddles the kids way too much. Not sure what DC will look at those comments and want to come here.

Last edited:
I never commented on what he said about the players needing a mental break. He shouldn’t have said that. But the “Jimmy and Butch would have done?” brigade is out in full force with the same BS talking points. The reality is..Manny isn’t getting fired after going 8-2. Get over it. We had our chance to fire him last year and we didn’t. Best case scenario is upgrade the talent and make adjustments on the defensive staff. Sending the players out to practice this week does nothing. Us fans are delusional after bad losses. Every fan base is, not just us.
Mostly agree, but the bold part is where you lost me. Manny loves to talk about changing the culture and a "winning culture". I doubt giving these kids a week off following a historically bad performance sends them the appropriate message and is consistent with a winning culture. On its face, it sure doesn't teach accountability.

Advertisement
I can’t take this generation of kids. Mental break my butt. I’m an essential worker with two little kids and I’m powering thru for 9 months now. Suck it up buttercup. Life sucks. Sooner you figure it out the better. Grab your manhood and get out there and get the job done.
Manny is part of the problem here too. These young kids need a strong father figure to lead them. Not a friend. Busy their butts a little. Problem is they don’t respect or fear him in the least.

Advertisement
Back