no matter how this season ends remember

DerekDohrman

Senior
we began the season with 73 total scholarship players, compared to most teams ~85.

so miss me with this talk of a few of our opponents/rivals being down due to some injuries or suspensions. we've dealt with both, while starting 12 players behind.

Advertisement
yeah, we are a little behind and need to catch up, but, not all teams run at 85.

Advertisement
People don't realize how much those NCAA scholly penalties really hurt depth. When we get our #'s back up and have the depth at all positions like we do at DL, this team will be great enough to be truly hated again. By more than just the Cuse message board, I can't wait!!!

Let's not pretend that any NCAA penalties had anything to do with the RB, TE, CB recruiting misfires of the past cycle.

Having said that, things look great right now from a program trajectory and recruiting standpoint and the staff deserves credit for maximizing the talent that's available on the rooster.

Let's not pretend that any NCAA penalties had anything to do with the RB, TE, CB recruiting misfires of the past cycle.

Having said that, things look great right now from a program trajectory and recruiting standpoint and the staff deserves credit for maximizing the talent that's available on the rooster.

I, too, believe the staff is doing a great job with the rooster.

shutterstock_99838550.jpg

Not where we need to be depth wise to compete with the top programs any given day but how exciting is it that we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs with one hand tied behind our back?
Don't personally think we make it this year but the future is bright again

Advertisement
I'd like to see 15 schools that are using the full 85 scholarships. And don't count when they fill up by giving to walk one.

I'd like to see 15 schools that are using the full 85 scholarships. And don't count when they fill up by giving to walk one.

havent studied most schools rosters, but i know bama and fsu were both cutting players right at the end to get down to 85.

id imagine most schools are in the 82-85 range, depending on last minute transfers/discipline issues. you're welcome to provide contrary evidence.

Advertisement
Not where we need to be depth wise to compete with the top programs any given day but how exciting is it that we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs with one hand tied behind our back?

I get what you're saying and it'd certainly be catastrophic for us if a RB or CB went down BUT this constant focus on perceived depth has also become quite the media narrative too. It's almost to the point where these talking heads begin to value "depth" over actual head to head talent matchups. You know why I think that is? Because it's easy for them to slurp Bama's supposed 5 stars that don't start. "My God! The guys they cycle in would start for ANY OTHER team! The DEPTH that Lil Nick has here would make Bill Belichick drool!".

Whats sickening is how we are still recovering from sanctions while Pedophile State University had theirs wiped away after one season. Disgusting.

We haven't played with over 80 since the Shannon years. '18 should be the first year.

I'd like to add: We beat FSU!

Advertisement
We'll be in the playoffs sometime in the next three years. Got faith in the pastor.

This year, Dan. Have faith this kid at QB. Reminds me of Kosar, but with feet. And this team reminds me of our first NC team. It is not like the JJ teams(we are not there yet) but it could be good enough by the end of the season to get to and then surprise the beast in the playoffs.

Great post.

Very valid point and the truth is RB/TE depth has more to do with players making bad decisions than it does with recruiting misses.

I get what you're saying and it'd certainly be catastrophic for us if a RB or CB went down BUT this constant focus on perceived depth has also become quite the media narrative too. It's almost to the point where these talking heads begin to value "depth" over actual head to head talent matchups. You know why I think that is? Because it's easy for them to slurp Bama's supposed 5 stars that don't start. "My God! The guys they cycle in would start for ANY OTHER team! The DEPTH that Lil Nick has here would make Bill Belichick drool!".

Bama reloads EVERY year because of depth..........so ya...its important.

Advertisement
Back