no matter how this season ends remember

So this thread is what, setting up the excuses if things don't go how we want?

Advertisement
Not where we need to be depth wise to compete with the top programs any given day but how exciting is it that we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs with one hand tied behind our back?
Don't personally think we make it this year but the future is bright again

I get what you're saying and it'd certainly be catastrophic for us if a RB or CB went down BUT this constant focus on perceived depth has also become quite the media narrative too. It's almost to the point where these talking heads begin to value "depth" over actual head to head talent matchups. You know why I think that is? Because it's easy for them to slurp Bama's supposed 5 stars that don't start. "My God! The guys they cycle in would start for ANY OTHER team! The DEPTH that Lil Nick has here would make Bill Belichick drool!".

I feel you and I get what you're saying. I think what I really meant was when we have a full roster of guys that belong at the U, we will know. Right now we have guys who are no doubt good and some that are young and struggling (which is ok) but when we have the depth we truly want we will have guys too scared to get hurt because the next man up is going to snatch that starting spot away from him. Love our team I really do but the Miami teams of old had HOF guys backing up HOF guys and once we have a little time to cleanse the program of the old regime then we will be a team that could absolutely dominant anyone at anytime

Whats sickening is how we are still recovering from sanctions while Pedophile State University had theirs wiped away after one season. Disgusting.

9 scholarships spread out over 3 years have little to do with Our current depth. That was Golden’s sh*tty recruiting and missing out on a bunch of guys. Don’t kid yourself

Not where we need to be depth wise to compete with the top programs any given day but how exciting is it that we are a legitimate contender for the playoffs with one hand tied behind our back?
Don't personally think we make it this year but the future is bright again

I get what you're saying and it'd certainly be catastrophic for us if a RB or CB went down BUT this constant focus on perceived depth has also become quite the media narrative too. It's almost to the point where these talking heads begin to value "depth" over actual head to head talent matchups. You know why I think that is? Because it's easy for them to slurp Bama's supposed 5 stars that don't start. "My God! The guys they cycle in would start for ANY OTHER team! The DEPTH that Lil Nick has here would make Bill Belichick drool!".

Bama reloads EVERY year because of depth..........so ya...its important.

Sure....except at QB. You're absolutely and obviously right about depth being essential to long-term excellence. I'm not suggesting you can reload with freshmen every year. My point was that excessive focus on depth is less meaningful within the frame of one single season. I bet a majority of the talking heads would've said Bama was "deeper" than Clemson last year.

I'm not an idiot either though. I'd love to be two deep at every position. I was just making the point that the over abundance of focus on depth in the past was also part of the narrative about the mighty SEC stacking their rosters with top recruits. So that "depth" often wasn't even real depth but just the media slurping their recruiting classes that were sitting on the bench.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's not pretend that any NCAA penalties had anything to do with the RB, TE, CB recruiting misfires of the past cycle.

Having said that, things look great right now from a program trajectory and recruiting standpoint and the staff deserves credit for maximizing the talent that's available on the rooster.

This! Sanctions or no sanctions, the previous staff committed a War Crime when it allowed Dalvin to walk to Trailerhassee.

It's not the NCAA sanctions that have us low on scholarship players. It's that the previous staff offered too many guys who either didn't qualify or got kicked off the team within a year. Every school has the occasional non-qualifier or trouble maker who gets kicked off but there's no reason Miami should be operating under 80 scholarship players.

I'd like to see 15 schools that are using the full 85 scholarships. And don't count when they fill up by giving to walk one.

FSU had 90 scholarship guys going into Summer, only got down to 85 by Fall camp.

Bama started with 85, UF with 82, VT/ND/UNC were all 81 or higher

Advertisement

if that's how you choose to look at it, sure. but, i think that says more about you than it does about the thread.

Not really a matter of how I choose to look at it, and all about the implication of a title like "no matter how this season ends", and a response to criticism of our close games against injured foes. Every bit of it is a response to attempts at diminishing accomplishment, or expected failure.

Its alright, someone had to go looking for our pre loaded excuse, if we need it i suppose.

This thread is kinda irrelevant. I was told that Miami is a dead program and that Rick was burned out. Same people that told me that McEltoof was an offensive genius, Bielema was great hire and that Hugh Freeze was a man of unimpeachable character.

The OP isn't wrong, but it is a potential excuse down the road.

We are still in the Coastal and there isnt any other team in our divison that recruits better. Even with 70 scholarship players, Miami should be in the ACCCG, every year.

Advertisement

if that's how you choose to look at it, sure. but, i think that says more about you than it does about the thread.

Not really a matter of how I choose to look at it, and all about the implication of a title like "no matter how this season ends", and a response to criticism of our close games against injured foes. Every bit of it is a response to attempts at diminishing accomplishment, or expected failure.

Its alright, someone had to go looking for our pre loaded excuse, if we need it i suppose.

again, this is how you're choosing to filter it. and that's okay, but that's on you.

for instance, one may choose to read into it as making our accomplishments(Coastal title, ACC title, playoff berth, etc), that much greater.

or, one may choose to read it as a response to another thread that claimed jimbo/FSU was already making excuses for their season(injuries), when in reality, they easily have more healthy scholarship players than we do. in that context, it diminishes FSU's excuse.

it's your world, brotha, filter it however you want. just dont mistake your perspective for mine

Last edited:
Advertisement
for instance, one may choose to read into it as making our accomplishments(Coastal title, ACC title, playoff berth, etc), that much greater.

or, one may choose to read it as a response to another thread that claimed jimbo/FSU was already making excuses for their season(injuries), when in reality, they easily have more healthy scholarship players than we do. in that context, it diminishes FSU's excuse.

it's your world, brotha, filter it however you want. just dont mistake your perspective for mine

Maybe it is this use of "miss me" that you kids use and I lose track because it has some meaning I don't know about. Then again anyone who shares phrasing with brock I just assume doesn't know what they are saying themselves.

Anyone know how many we can sign this year? Being 12 short makes it extremely hard to compete with a team with 82-85 , cause some of those 12 will be impact players.

At this point, what we need to get back to full depth is extremely simple. We need one max size, loaded with talent at every position, tight-nit recruiting class built mostly on South Florida and Florida studs. That's step one.

Step two is convincing a few draft eligible, and draft rated, juniors to come back for their senior seasons when they recognize that the roster around them is stacked and loaded for bear. It's happened before, it could happen again. That is when the truly Special happens.

Hey Kendrick and Richard, hope y'all are well! Mark, hope your recovery is going well and the little girl is happy and healthy, bro.
Could Miami Hurricanes be national-title-good in 2018? | Canes Watch

Let's not pretend that any NCAA penalties had anything to do with the RB, TE, CB recruiting misfires of the past cycle.

Having said that, things look great right now from a program trajectory and recruiting standpoint and the staff deserves credit for maximizing the talent that's available on the rooster.

its as if we had double sanctions. The impact of the Cloud and the impact of Golden n Radio…

But, now….We comin….

Advertisement
Back