No excuse for the defense to not be prepared

Ericsoncane

Recruit
With this defensive staff there's no excuse for Manny to say that the opposing team came out and did things we didn't expect. We have an nfl experienced dline coach who's been a head coach in hs. We have a lb coach who's had very good lbs at Auburn and was listed as co dc even if he didn't call plays. We have a secondary coach who's produced nfl talent and has been a dc. Then you add bob shoop as an analyst who's been one of the best defensive coordinators over the last decade.

If we're not prepared well know who to look at and it won't be patke lol. It'll be Manny. There shouldn't be a unc game or n.c. st game. I'm not expecting a dominate defense but one that's prepared,well coached that has more discipline. Conservatively we should be at 21 ppg or under 5.0 ypp or under 33% or under on 3rd down and get back to seeing that turnover chain!

Advertisement
I think there will be a notable difference.

Just the fact that we wont be blitzing the safety 15 yards away, and having everyone else in a weak *** zone will make a huge difference.

When you add some run contain elements (Simpson) and proper bump n run technique (Trob), it is expected to be a top 25 defense again.

Advertisement
I do think that had an effect on both sides for different reasons. The offense because of a new system and the defense because of all the new starters
Offense performed better with a whole new scheme & less practice time.

Defense had QR as the only dude that hadn't been in the system long. Every starter on that defense has been in UM system for a year plus.

You're making an excuse for the bad coaching. Offense shouldn't have performed better than the defense, especially considering a potential 1st Rd DE & potentially a 2nd rder in QR. Arguably the best player on offense, (Brevin) isnt a 1st rounder and missed a few games this season.

With this defensive staff there's no excuse for Manny to say that the opposing team came out and did things we didn't expect. We have an nfl experienced dline coach who's been a head coach in hs. We have a lb coach who's had very good lbs at Auburn and was listed as co dc even if he didn't call plays. We have a secondary coach who's produced nfl talent and has been a dc. Then you add bob shoop as an analyst who's been one of the best defensive coordinators over the last decade.

If we're not prepared well know who to look at and it won't be patke lol. It'll be Manny. There shouldn't be a unc game or n.c. st game. I'm not expecting a dominate defense but one that's prepared,well coached that has more discipline. Conservatively we should be at 21 ppg or under 5.0 ypp or under 33% or under on 3rd down and get back to seeing that turnover chain!
Good post! This and fundamentals have been my two biggest critiques of the D side of the ball this past year. Now, with the D additions, especially Shoop, we should have a smart game plan going into each game AND our fundamentals should be improved.

I know I will need to temper my expectations with the 1st game on fundamentals like tackling, leverage angles, strategy, etc., but I expect better fundamentals and toughness through out the balance of this season.

And, can we please limit the targeting calls???

Just better hope Jwill gets something out of those LBs. I think he can. Same with DT. Think Simpson can help Nesta and HH.
We need some new guys to step up at lb. Austin-cave,flagg,brooks,troutman and huff are the guys I'm hoping to play. They are the most talented. But I expect it to be mlb: flagg w jennings and troutman 3rd. Wlb: brooks,austin-cave and huff 3rd.

At dt I'm hoping we go nesta as the one technique and HH as the 3 tech. Use ford and miller as best as back ups and roberts and taylor as HH backups.

Advertisement
Offense performed better with a whole new scheme & less practice time.

Defense had QR as the only dude that hadn't been in the system long. Every starter on that defense has been in UM system for a year plus.

You're making an excuse for the bad coaching. Offense shouldn't have performed better than the defense, especially considering a potential 1st Rd DE & potentially a 2nd rder in QR. Arguably the best player on offense, (Brevin) isnt a 1st rounder and missed a few games this season.
I said it had an effect. I didn't make excuses. We did lose the 3 des from 2019 2 four year starters at lb finely,bandy and bethel as starters from 2019. That's 4 starters that returned for 2020. Whenever you return that amount of starters on defense you're going to regress 9/10 times. Especially when the coaching wasn't good.

On offense it was an easiy transition because the system is simple and we had an experienced qb in king.

Last edited:
Good post! This and fundamentals have been my two biggest critiques of the D side of the ball this past year. Now, with the D additions, especially Shoop, we should have a smart game plan going into each game AND our fundamentals should be improved.

I know I will need to temper my expectations with the 1st game on fundamentals like tackling, leverage angles, strategy, etc., but I expect better fundamentals and toughness through out the balance of this season.

And, can we please limit the targeting calls???
Fundamentals, preparation, discipline and accountability have been my issue with this team for years. The talent is getting there,coaching is so much better that I expect to see a much better prepared team as 2021 unfolds. It won't happen overnight though

We should be much better schematically and that alone should yield results. I’m only worried about development thus far and what we can do with what we have. We have a solid line, and on paper we should have an extremely good safety room.

Our liabilities still worry me specifically cb and lb play. We don’t have the most depth at corner and we don’t really know how good they can be man-man which presumably will be what they’ll be asked to do. At lb we don’t have the speed we need with the exception of huff and Austen-cave. Huff has yet to really play any meaningful time and Austen-Cave looked explosive when he was put in (i think he played 4 games). I liked Flagg’s contributions and he looks natural out there, always around the ball. But he looked slow against good running backs.

As a whole with what we have, we should once again not lose any conference games and we should not be in a shootout with nc state like teams. Manny has to actually make things work and not be the better team in paper only (as we have been for the past 15yrs)

We should be much better schematically and that alone should yield results. I’m only worried about development thus far and what we can do with what we have. We have a solid line, and on paper we should have an extremely good safety room.

Our liabilities still worry me specifically cb and lb play. We don’t have the most depth at corner and we don’t really know how good they can be man-man which presumably will be what they’ll be asked to do. At lb we don’t have the speed we need with the exception of huff and Austen-cave. Huff has yet to really play any meaningful time and Austen-Cave looked explosive when he was put in (i think he played 4 games). I liked Flagg’s contributions and he looks natural out there, always around the ball. But he looked slow against good running backs.

As a whole with what we have, we should once again not lose any conference games and we should not be in a shootout with nc state like teams. Manny has to actually make things work and not be the better team in paper only (as we have been for the past 15yrs)
I think with better position coaches we should expect better player development. We should have 4 good des with harvey,johnson,and the two williams. Dt should one of our strengths but we need HH,taylor and roberts to give us a pass rush. Nesta is good at pressure but not getting sacks. Ford and miller need to be strong run defenders. I'd say brooks and cave can be good wlbs. They have the speed to do it with better coaching. Flagg can be a consistent solid mlb but is limited. Safety is the deepest spot on the team and we should be way better. I think the cornerback spot can be pretty good. Stevenson and couch are the two best followed by blades,ivey,dunson,clarke. They have the size to play bump n run and it fits their skillset. You don't have to be a burner to play bump n run

Advertisement
I think there will be a notable difference.

Just the fact that we wont be blitzing the safety 15 yards away, and having everyone else in a weak *** zone will make a huge difference.

When you add some run contain elements (Simpson) and proper bump n run technique (Trob), it is expected to be a top 25 defense again.
You sure about that? I hope you’re right but Diaz did this all the time as a DC.

Advertisement
All of these defensive coaches mentioned and you left out our very own Patsy, I mean Patke.

The hard-on you weirdos have for this dude is so strange to me.

He coaches ONE kid on defense. And that one kid was probably the most improved player on the entire team, except for maybe Zion Nelson. He was certainly the most improved player on the entire defense. And he gets more attention on this board than anyone. Such weirdos around here.

I see no reason why the can’t get similar results to what they got from 2016-2019. Better discipline on the defensive line and linebackers with better instincts can make all the difference in the world. I think we’re good in the secondary. I’m not as worried about corner as some.

The hard-on you weirdos have for this dude is so strange to me.

He coaches ONE kid on defense. And that one kid was probably the most improved player on the entire team, except for maybe Zion Nelson. He was certainly the most improved player on the entire defense. And he gets more attention on this board than anyone. Such weirdos around here.
Honestly, striker has been a consistently good position under Patke. If he deserves crap, it’s because we don’t have any type of kick/punt return game at all. He’s a terrible special teams coach but he seems to know how to coach outside linebackers/strikers.

Honestly, striker has been a consistently good position under Patke. If he deserves crap, it’s because we don’t have any type of kick/punt return game at all. He’s a terrible special teams coach but he seems to know how to coach outside linebackers/strikers.

Eh. I'm not gonna say he's terrible. But whatever the abomination we watched last year fielding punts has to change, immediately. Ultimately it all lies at the feet of the coach, but you can't say he deserves no credit for a kicker winning the Groza, a punter as a finalist for the Ray Guy and then he deserves all the blame for kids not being able to field punts. At some point, kids have to play football and have some accountability. Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins dropped a higher percentage of passes than any kids in the conference last year. I don't think that means Rob Likens is a poor coach. He got 2 kids into the first round the past 2 years.

So again, I understand that at the end of the day, the coach is who is responsible for the performance of his players. But his players have to have some accountability as well.

Either way, I don't see the sense in lining up a mob to go after the guy who coaches Strikers, when our starting Striker was the most improved kid on the defense and arguably the entire roster.

Advertisement
Back