NKosi Perry Benched for Audibles and Going Out

i don't think audibles are the issue, but not having a great explanation or understanding of why you call an audible is. Seems like the offense is very much in the hands of the QB at the line but you have to demonstrate command of concepts, protections, coverages, and respect for the football. The interceptions, without verifying the audible narrative, seemed like Perry didn't respect the ball and might have misread coverage. Unless people know the play-call, audibles, and can see the 22 view, there's way too many unknowns to point a finger.

My post was being sarcastic. I don’t think Richt was giving Perry lots of leeway to audible anyways, so I don’t disagree that audibles aren’t the issue.

Advertisement
A great QB need to be a football junkie. One reason Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are two of the GOATS is they studied their opponents tendencies over and over and over. Ray Lewis once said they were so hard to beat because they knew what he was doing as he was deciding to do it. There’s some hyperbole there, but one gets the point.

Perry doesn’t need to be monk in the file room. He needs to realize this isn’t the sandlot high school football he played before.

Templar I think you may have nailed it spot on.

Example : Zach Thomas also said when he was a rookie and just a hair off from blowing up plays , I got to STOP thinking once I do this I can can be the BEST at my position.

GOCANES

So since the kid has been here he's partied way too much, been suspended at least once, been said to rarely study film, been (at best) average in the time he has played, and now is calling audibles at the line and turning the ball over.

And you ****heads want to fly a banner calling for the HC to be fired because he put the kid on the bench? This fan base is like an SNL skit.

So since the kid has been here he's partied way too much, been suspended at least once, been said to rarely study film, been (at best) average in the time he has played, and now is calling audibles at the line and turning the ball over.

And you ****heads want to fly a banner calling for the HC to be fired because he put the kid on the bench? This fan base is like an SNL skit.

I get all of that.

Problem is - he’s the best option we have.

I get that kids will be kids and some truly can’t be molded - but I’m not sure I understand waiting until game day to send a message.

If it’s that bad - you should be able to get your message through during the week.

IT WON’T MATTER...DONNA FU@KING SHALALA COULD START @QB....THE O-LINE PLAYS MORE LIKE “ELEPHANTS ON PARADE”...

Advertisement
Hey look! Another "My friends cousins roommate from high school that banged (enter Miami Hurricanes player here) says that the team wants Perry to start" thread

I get all of that.

I get that kids will be kids and some truly can’t be molded - but I’m not sure I understand waiting until game day to send a message.

If it’s that bad - you should be able to get your message through during the week.

Is he? What have you seen that tells you he's the best option we have? And I'm not defending Rosier AT ALL. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am in full agreement that he is absolutely awful. But Perry is more skilled, no doubt. Is he a better player right this second? I'm not sure he is, and if it's even close yet Richt plays him even with him not putting in the work, doing dumb **** to get himself suspended, and if he is changing plays (pure rumor) and they're not working....what kind of message does that send to your team?

I was disappointed to hear the news yesterday, just as all of you were. But we're supposed to sabotage our own program because of it? Richt knows that 5-0 gets this team to Charlotte, and with the momentum recently in recruiting, 10-2 probably saves the recruiting class and keeps improving the roster. We all know that an OC is at least hopefully pushing towards a long-term solution, but he can't hire one today. That's an off-season decision.

But I just don't understand how we go from disappointed yesterday morning to flying banners yesterday afternoon just because Rosier is starting. You guys think Perry is Aaron Rodgers?

Perry got benched for throwing into triple coverage on both interceptions, bad decision maker, kid needs to mature.

He does for sure but a lot of that comes from playing through adversity and learning from mistakes.

Advertisement
I don't give a **** about a college kid going out and partying. You have a find a balance. Johnny Football partied harder than anyone but he was still a beast on the field. Mayfield as well. Matt Leinart. I'm sure there are others have but their **** just wasnt put out there in the media.
Party your *** off. But then don’t look like you just crawled out of the gutter on Saturday throwing the ball directly into the belly of defenders and looking shook and clueless.

All those QBs you mentioned delivered on Saturday and knew what they were doing on the field. Gigantic difference between what they brought on Saturday and what Perry is doing out there.

SO just to clarify a bit. If what I read on another site is correct...

Perry changed the play on the second INT. When he came off the field CMR asked him what he saw that led him to change the play. Perry responded by saying, "Don't worry. I got this." When CMR pressed him for a response, Perry snapped at CMR and walked away. He was benched at that point.
Jesus, take the headset! Holy **** you guys buy into anything and spread it around like idiot butter.

Party your *** off. But then don’t look like you just crawled out of the gutter on Saturday throwing the ball directly into the belly of defenders and looking shook and clueless.

All those QBs you mentioned delivered on Saturday and knew what they were doing on the field. Gigantic difference between what they brought on Saturday and what Perry is doing out there.

I think Perry should've gone back in but that was my take away as well, he didn't have a clue what coverage he was seeing. To me that's on the QB coach, get your guys ready during the week.

He does for sure but a lot of that comes from playing through adversity and learning from mistakes.
“Playing through adversity” is fan speak. It’s the HC’s job to try to win every game not to let some guy who is obviously drowning on the field play through adversity.

There’s no reason to believe that Perry continuing to flail and throw the football to UVA was suddenly going to stop in the third quarter because he magically got all the dumb *** and choke out of his system.

More likely, it would have compounded and gotten worse because he looked like he had no reason for what he was doing. He was just playing sandlot ball, and UVA’s DC and defenders were feasting on him. This wasn’t a pass bouncing off a receiver’s hands and getting picked or Perry making the right read but his arm got tapped as he threw; he was clueless and just throwing it up for grabs.

And before you hit me with “yeah, but Malik is ,,,, “ save it. The HC can’t stand there in a conference game with his dyck in his hand while the QB throws the ball up for grabs. He had to do something. I’d get Jarren ready because these two guys are both incredibly flawed, but that’s a different discussion.

Advertisement
This really isn't hard. Richt knows he has a better football team than the 5 remaining opponents on the schedule. As long as his offense doesn't beat himself. You don't need an extraordinary performance by your QB to beat any of these teams. You just need to be slightly better than terrible. Richt is banking on Rosier giving him that, and is not going to allow Perry to turn this from what could be a decent season into a disaster by continuing to throw the ball to the other team.

IMO, if Miami loses 1 more game, making Charlotte impossible, Perry and the other 2 kids will play the rest of the year in order to prepare for next year. But this year isn't over yet and Richt isn't willing to play a kid who is not doing his part off the field. It's pretty simple. So we have to live with this kid for 5+ more games. Support him, like a normal fan would.

“Playing through adversity” is fan speak. It’s the HC’s job to try to win every game not to let some guy who is obviously drowning on the field play through adversity.

There’s no reason to believe that Perry continuing to flail and throw the football to UVA was suddenly going to stop in the third quarter because he magically got all the dumb *** and choke out of his system.

More likely, it would have compounded and gotten worse because he looked like he had no reason for what he was doing. He was just playing sandlot ball, and UVA’s DC and defenders were feasting on him. This wasn’t a pass bouncing off a receiver’s hands and getting picked or Perry making the right read but his arm got tapped as he threw; he was clueless and just throwing it up for grabs.

And before you hit me with “yeah, but Malik is ,,,, “ save it. The HC can’t stand there in a conference game with his dyck in his hand while the QB throws the ball up for grabs. He had to do something. I’d get Jarren ready because these two guys are both incredibly flawed, but that’s a different discussion.

Bingo. And even more correct when you realize that winning the next 5 games gets you to Charlotte, which allows you to continue to recruit kids who can change your program and have clear interest (Neal, Stevenson, Haselwood just to name a few).

And if you're going to comment "But Malik stinks and we can't go 5-0 with him", just save your carpal tunnel. Not a single thing Perry has shown could convince anyone he can win the next 5 games either.

Advertisement
I've seen coaches take young QB's out for a series or so to see the field from a different prospective settle down and go back in, a young QB who obliviously sees he struggling needs to get the struggle factor broken up some way and to refocus quick pass and catch plays to get back in sync..

GOCANES

I get all of that.

He didnt do that. If it was about sending a message he wouldn't have started vs UVA. He was on a short leash because he is a dumb *** and then he got yanked because he looked like a deer in headlights and threw two terrible picks and was giving a game away where our D already had 3 turnovers.

Can't say I envy being a head coach of a major program and having to decide who to put under center between a senior who you know is a C+ even at his best, a knuckle head who isn't fully committed to getting better, a loose cannon who has a fetish for nose candy, and a raw freshman who isn't ready yet.

Of course, the corollary to that is it is on the staff that these are our only current options. In hindsight, it seems our ideal scenario would have been to get a veteran transfer for this year (like shea or burrow - tho im aware we werent in the running for either) and then hope over the course of the year either kosi gets his head in right or williams becomes ready.

Currently its like we are at a party having to choose between the old ugly girl who shouldn't be there, the hot chick who is psycho and youre not sure its worth having her in your life just to bang her, a girl so hammered you worry it could lead to rape charges, and the smoking hot chick who youre leaning towards but youre legit not sure is 18 yet. None of these are good choices.

Perry was benched because Richt's idea of raising a boy to become a man is predicated upon a reality that exist only in his own head.

Don’t think benching Perry has anything to do with developing as a man as much as a QB. if anything part of being a man is over coming hardships and getting back up again.

This really isn't hard. Richt knows he has a better football team than the 5 remaining opponents on the schedule. As long as his offense doesn't beat himself. You don't need an extraordinary performance by your QB to beat any of these teams. You just need to be slightly better than terrible. Richt is banking on Rosier giving him that, and is not going to allow Perry to turn this from what could be a decent season into a disaster by continuing to throw the ball to the other team.

IMO, if Miami loses 1 more game, making Charlotte impossible, Perry and the other 2 kids will play the rest of the year in order to prepare for next year. But this year isn't over yet and Richt isn't willing to play a kid who is not doing his part off the field. It's pretty simple. So we have to live with this kid for 5+ more games. Support him, like a normal fan would.
This is EXACTLY the thought process. We beat the types of teams left on the schedule with Rosier and a defense that wasn’t nearly as good. The thinking is “I can’t risk losing to the types of teams we beat last with Rosier because the QB is clueless and giving away possessions.”

I’d expect a lot of simplicity on offense, heavy reliance on the run game, and leaning on the D going forward. He’s going to try to sneak his way into a Coastal title by just protecting the football and making good decisions.

Advertisement
Back