Nik Bonnito

No offense, big fella, but Bonnito isn't a "special." He's a known quantity, and just about every UM fan wants him here. He jumps off the screen every time I've seen him play.

Advertisement
Joyner's got to be the most underrated recruit on this board. there's a reason our staff is bending over backwards to sign him and not Bonitto....he's the real deal.

I like Joyner as well hes long too and can strike and fsu is good with spotting linebackers under Fisher

Not really, brother. FSU has been good at recruiting and signing DL.

Joyner's got to be the most underrated recruit on this board. there's a reason our staff is bending over backwards to sign him and not Bonitto....he's the real deal.

I like Joyner as well hes long too and can strike and fsu is good with spotting linebackers under Fisher

Yeah.....I don't know how any LB in their right mind would go to FSU. Their track records with LBs is similar to that of receivers - neither are developed. D-line on the other hand, Jimbo has invested well in that position as they constantly churn out 1st / 2nd round picks at the position; which is arguably the most important outside of QB and maybe o-line.

Going back to the subject at hand, Bonnito's good. I'm not trusting Chosen's evaluation of anything, especially when he's been knocking the S&C of this team all year round.

This staff needs to take 2 LB's in this class

Lmao no we don't. Even one might be iffy. Rather use that schollie on a dl or ot.

Smart teams recruit for two years ahead and not the upcoming season. With the SR's and draft eligible JR's at LB on this team we could see 6 or more LB's depart after the 2018 season leaving this team relying on true freshman to make up the two deep.

2018 LB Depth
WILL
JR Michael Pinckney (Will be draft eligible and have a good chance to leave early)
RSR Darrion Owens (Will graduate)
RJR Jamie Gordinier (Will be returning from his second season ending knee injury, who knows if he will be able to contribute at a high level)
RFR Waynmon Steed

MLB
JR Shaquille Quarterman (Will be draft eligible and have a good chance to leave early)
RSR Mike Smith (Will graduate)
SO Bradley Jennings Jr
RSR Terry McCray (Will graduate, I know everyone thinks he is a JAG but he does play on special teams)

SAM
JR Zach McCloud (Although I do not see him leaving early, he will be draft eligible)
SR Charles Perry (Will graduate)
SO De'Andre Wilder
FR Patrick Joyner (If he commits and is the only LB in this class)

So if the worst happens this teams 2019 returning depth could look bad

WILL
RSR Jamie Gordinier (Lets pray he will be health enough to play a full season)
RSO Waynmon Steed

MLB
JR Bradley Jennings Jr

SAM
JR De'Andre Wilder
RFR or SO Patrick Joyner

You simply can't build a consistent champion with freshman walking on campus and being placed into the rotation simply because there is no one there. I pray that Shaq, Pinckney, and McCloud return for their SR seasons but there is no guarantee. This 2018 LB class is very important for the future of this team

I was in the group that said we didnt need more then 1 LB in this class due to us having 10-11 coming back next year and the 2019 class being full of studs but after Steeds pops said in another thread that we probably need to go after 2-3 this year I changed my tune. Hes saying that for a reason. Maybe some guys are thinking of transferring in the Spring? (Owens/Gourdiner)

14 LBs on the roster going into next Fall ball seems like alot if no attrition is involved. But I will defer to him as his son is on the team so he would know more then most.

Advertisement
This staff needs to take 2 LB's in this class

Lmao no we don't. Even one might be iffy. Rather use that schollie on a dl or ot.

Smart teams recruit for two years ahead and not the upcoming season. With the SR's and draft eligible JR's at LB on this team we could see 6 or more LB's depart after the 2018 season leaving this team relying on true freshman to make up the two deep.

2018 LB Depth
WILL
JR Michael Pinckney (Will be draft eligible and have a good chance to leave early)
RSR Darrion Owens (Will graduate)
RJR Jamie Gordinier (Will be returning from his second season ending knee injury, who knows if he will be able to contribute at a high level)
RFR Waynmon Steed

MLB
JR Shaquille Quarterman (Will be draft eligible and have a good chance to leave early)
RSR Mike Smith (Will graduate)
SO Bradley Jennings Jr
RSR Terry McCray (Will graduate, I know everyone thinks he is a JAG but he does play on special teams)

SAM
JR Zach McCloud (Although I do not see him leaving early, he will be draft eligible)
SR Charles Perry (Will graduate)
SO De'Andre Wilder
FR Patrick Joyner (If he commits and is the only LB in this class)

So if the worst happens this teams 2019 returning depth could look bad

WILL
RSR Jamie Gordinier (Lets pray he will be health enough to play a full season)
RSO Waynmon Steed

MLB
JR Bradley Jennings Jr

SAM
JR De'Andre Wilder
RFR or SO Patrick Joyner

You simply can't build a consistent champion with freshman walking on campus and being placed into the rotation simply because there is no one there. I pray that Shaq, Pinckney, and McCloud return for their SR seasons but there is no guarantee. This 2018 LB class is very important for the future of this team

I like the write up. Ill just say this, I dont know Shaq pops personally but I get the feeling that he is an intelligent guy and if Shaq aint a guaranteed 1st round pick he will encourage him to get his degree. And if Shaq stays I dont think Pinckney will "break up the band" and leave either. Could be wishful thinking.

You're done with Diaz?

Awesome, hopefully you find another team and stop making terrible hot takes here.

Calling Miller slow is just terrible. I'm guessing you haven't actually watched his film or seen him play

I'm done with Manny's LB evaluation ability if he picks that slow Miller kid over Joyner or Bonnito. It makes it worse that we're passing on dudes with Miami caliber talent who are interested in us for a slow LB that belongs at UCF. Now I would trust Manny decision with the miller kid if Manny had coach Kul's coaching ability but our LBs just now started playing in their proper gaps like 4 games ago. 1 of the 3 starting LB don't even know what the **** is going on half the time during plays. I'll say it again.... We need fast agile LB who can play in space. PERIOD. Just look at the latest HurricanesVision thread and look how damaging a slow stiff LB hurts our defense.

Manny recruiting a slow stiff LB over fast athletic guys who fits his scheme is concerning. Look around, we're recruiting ELITE athletes at WR, DL, CB, Safety, TE, even QB! Then Manny is here recruiting slow dude who look like they belong at USF. Like I've said hundreds of times..... our LB need to be fast and athletic enough to cover, play in space, chase down flats and bubble screens with the speed a Miami LB is suppose to have and that Miller guy ain't fast or athletic enough. Every week CanesVision point out, in detail, of the things our LBs have to do (play their gap, chase the bubble and passes to the flat, cover a RB, cover a slot, outside contain run/pitch. All of these jobs require SPEED to do so at an elite level especially in this scheme.

Also, I never said anything about Manny as a coordinator (other then when he does that soft zone crap). His LB coaching ability isn't on coach Kul's level. Kul has turned a weakness in years past to our biggest strengths. Manny has not done that with the LBs (outside of Shaq and Pink). Matter of fact, as GREAT as Pink and Shaq are the LB GROUP as a WHOLE is not as good as our DL and DBs and our DB coaches lost their entire starting secondary from last year while Manny had everyone returning. It wasn't until after the FSU game our LBs started playing in their correct gaps and containing the outside. It wasn't until after the Toledo game that our LB started to get proper depth on passing plays. Our LBs still don't jam or reroute TE/Slot WRs in the 5 yard allowed area. My thing is why are we even having those problems to begin with 2 years of Manny coaching the LB. Not to mention, we continue to play McCloud when he has been a complete liability on defense.

Don't get me wrong.. Manny is the best DC we've had in a long time but small things I see gets annoying considering we should better then we are at LB (as a group) if small things like that were corrected basic things like that during the off-season and not during the season. I wanted to see the same type of progress our DL is making with the LBs and being one of the units in the country.

So now you know more than Diaz for what he looks for in a LB?

All this talk about what type of LBs we need for our defensive scheme (particularly for the SAM position) reminds me how much I hate the fact that Jamien Sherwood doesn't seem like he will end up in this class. He is the perfect player for that role. He will be a stud at the next level.

Unfortunately, he seems set on playing safety and Auburn is recruiting him for that position.

You're done with Diaz?

Awesome, hopefully you find another team and stop making terrible hot takes here.

Calling Miller slow is just terrible. I'm guessing you haven't actually watched his film or seen him play

I'm done with Manny's LB evaluation ability if he picks that slow Miller kid over Joyner or Bonnito. It makes it worse that we're passing on dudes with Miami caliber talent who are interested in us for a slow LB that belongs at UCF. Now I would trust Manny decision with the miller kid if Manny had coach Kul's coaching ability but our LBs just now started playing in their proper gaps like 4 games ago. 1 of the 3 starting LB don't even know what the **** is going on half the time during plays. I'll say it again.... We need fast agile LB who can play in space. PERIOD. Just look at the latest HurricanesVision thread and look how damaging a slow stiff LB hurts our defense.

Manny recruiting a slow stiff LB over fast athletic guys who fits his scheme is concerning. Look around, we're recruiting ELITE athletes at WR, DL, CB, Safety, TE, even QB! Then Manny is here recruiting slow dude who look like they belong at USF. Like I've said hundreds of times..... our LB need to be fast and athletic enough to cover, play in space, chase down flats and bubble screens with the speed a Miami LB is suppose to have and that Miller guy ain't fast or athletic enough. Every week CanesVision point out, in detail, of the things our LBs have to do (play their gap, chase the bubble and passes to the flat, cover a RB, cover a slot, outside contain run/pitch. All of these jobs require SPEED to do so at an elite level especially in this scheme.

Also, I never said anything about Manny as a coordinator (other then when he does that soft zone crap). His LB coaching ability isn't on coach Kul's level. Kul has turned a weakness in years past to our biggest strengths. Manny has not done that with the LBs (outside of Shaq and Pink). Matter of fact, as GREAT as Pink and Shaq are the LB GROUP as a WHOLE is not as good as our DL and DBs and our DB coaches lost their entire starting secondary from last year while Manny had everyone returning. It wasn't until after the FSU game our LBs started playing in their correct gaps. It wasn't until after the Toledo game that our LB started to get proper depth on passing plays. Our LBs still don't jam or reroute TE/Slot WRs in the 5 yard allowed area. My thing is why are we even having those problems to begin with 2 years of Manny coaching the LB. Not to mention, we continue to play McCloud when he has been a complete liability on defense.

Don't get me wrong.. Manny is the best DC we've had in a long time but small things I see gets annoying considering we should be even better then we already are or better then last year if small things like that were corrected basic things like that during the off-season and not during the season.

Manny's main concern with the undersized guys is their tackling ability.

Diaz's defense, philosophically, is built around 3 things...

1) Prevent big plays - deep safety looks, no missed tackles, etc
2) Relentless attack of QBs - 1 gap havoc
3) Tackling - his high risk schemes require LBs and Safeties to tackle in open space when something breaks out

Look at his safety recruiting. Big heavy hitters who can thump.

/I'm with you guys though - I want the twitchy So Fla kids
//4-2-5 defense would fvckin kill w Miami talent

I know but I don't understand the whole size thing considering Shaq is 6'1 and Pink is 6'2. McCloud is the "ideal" size at 6'3 but he read plays like he 5'3. I know our safeties can hit but is not like they're slow thumpers.

I think a 4-2-5 would be a great move considering VT has been doing that for years with great success and we have better athletes then them. I'd be completely fine with 4-3 as along as the LBs are fast, athletic, and can play in space. Watching a slow, stiff LB like McCloud try to move in space gets hard to watch. Thats all I'm saying.

Chosen, agree with everything you are saying philosophically. We need fast, strong, instinctive LBs who can shed OL, thump RBs, but also drop in space and stop the short pass plays which are becoming more the norm. Add to that the mobile QBs who will take off at a moment's notice. That's a lot of responsibility for LBs.

But i think Manny gets that which is why he's been recruiting lighter more agile LBs than say.... the Big 10 6'2'' 245 lb lumbering types. As I said before, the D. Owens type LBs probably won't get a second look from Manny going forward.

But -- McCloud's not slow. He's just not playing well. I think the game is moving too fast for him this year, so he's not reading and reacting quick enough to be in the right spot to make the play. Hoping that he can turn it around, because he has the talent.

Advertisement
But i think Manny gets that which is why he's been recruiting lighter more agile LBs than say.... the Big 10 6'2'' 245 lb lumbering types. As I said before, the D. Owens type LBs probably won't get a second look from Manny going forward.

But -- McCloud's not slow. He's just not playing well. I think the game is moving too fast for him this year, so he's not reading and reacting quick enough to be in the right spot to make the play. Hoping that he can turn it around, because he has the talent.

Interestingly, Darrion Owens as a recruit is exactly what Manny would be targeting. He was a dynamic and explosive athlete with length and quick twitch speed. He largely played safety in HS. Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same post-injury, and is now a big lumbering LB

Joyner is a de. His entire film is just him rushing the passer.

Bonito has to be the most overrated overhyped kid in this class. Reminds me a lot of Demetri Stewart who turned into some kind of mythical Internet legend for no reason at all. All this hype and hand wringing for a Louisville commit. Just crazy.

The lb class this year is atrocious. I'd rather not fill it up with talent blockers. Better to just get what we need with the 2019 class which is chock full of ballers.

Stop.

Bonitto is not some under the radar kid. He's a 4*, Top 200 overall player.,

His talent never has been the issue. It's how focused he is on football (he's talked about also wanting to play basketball in college) and scheme fit.

I agree with OP though he should be a take, although if we really only take 1 LB I like James Miller

Fits the scheme perfectly

Interestingly, Darrion Owens as a recruit is exactly what Manny would be targeting. He was a dynamic and explosive athlete with length and quick twitch speed. He largely played safety in HS. Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same post-injury, and is now a big lumbering LB

Fair point. Owens pre and post injury warrant distinction.

Advertisement

Yeah.....I don't know how any LB in their right mind would go to FSU. Their track records with LBs is similar to that of receivers - neither are developed. D-line on the other hand, Jimbo has invested well in that position as they constantly churn out 1st / 2nd round picks at the position; which is arguably the most important outside of QB and maybe o-line.

Going back to the subject at hand, Bonnito's good. I'm not trusting Chosen's evaluation of anything, especially when he's been knocking the S&C of this team all year round.

I liked Northrup, Telvin Smith was prolly there best LB there during the Fisher era and Im not sure if he was a Bowden guy, also Mat Thomas looks good..........yea I think your right [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]. Its there DL recruiting

You're done with Diaz?

Also, I never said anything about Manny as a coordinator (other then when he does that soft zone crap). His LB coaching ability isn't on coach Kul's level. Kul has turned a weakness in years past to our biggest strengths. Manny has not done that with the LBs (outside of Shaq and Pink). Matter of fact, as GREAT as Pink and Shaq are the LB GROUP as a WHOLE is not as good as our DL and DBs and our DB coaches lost their entire starting secondary from last year while Manny had everyone returning. It wasn't until after the FSU game our LBs started playing in their correct gaps. It wasn't until after the Toledo game that our LB started to get proper depth on passing plays. Our LBs still don't jam or reroute TE/Slot WRs in the 5 yard allowed area. My thing is why are we even having those problems to begin with 2 years of Manny coaching the LB. Not to mention, we continue to play McCloud when he has been a complete liability on defense.

Don't get me wrong.. Manny is the best DC we've had in a long time but small things I see gets annoying considering we should be even better then we already are or better then last year if small things like that were corrected basic things like that during the off-season and not during the season.

Manny's main concern with the undersized guys is their tackling ability.

Diaz's defense, philosophically, is built around 3 things...

1) Prevent big plays - deep safety looks, no missed tackles, etc
2) Relentless attack of QBs - 1 gap havoc
3) Tackling - his high risk schemes require LBs and Safeties to tackle in open space when something breaks out

Look at his safety recruiting. Big heavy hitters who can thump.

/I'm with you guys though - I want the twitchy So Fla kids
//4-2-5 defense would fvckin kill w Miami talent

I know but I don't understand the whole size thing considering Shaq is 6'1 and Pink is 6'2. McCloud is the "ideal" size at 6'3 but he read plays like he 5'3. I know our safeties can hit but is not like they're slow thumpers.

I think a 4-2-5 would be a great move considering VT has been doing that for years with great success and we have better athletes then them. I'd be completely fine with 4-3 as along as the LBs are fast, athletic, and can play in space. Watching a slow, stiff LB like McCloud try to move in space gets hard to watch. Thats all I'm saying.

Chosen, agree with everything you are saying philosophically. We need fast, strong, instinctive LBs who can shed OL, thump RBs, but also drop in space and stop the short pass plays which are becoming more the norm. Add to that the mobile QBs who will take off at a moment's notice. That's a lot of responsibility for LBs.

I love Manny and what hes done but its ok to question his linebacker evals at this point, hopefully MR tells him to go after NB and PJ over the Miller kid as well

Just get Nik here. He and Chatfield needs to stay home. Keep these elite school's pipelines open. If Joyner wants in, fine....but Nik needs to be here, too.

Advertisement

I mean I agree but you don’t get a LB faster than Wilder. I don’t think you’re saying anything that everyone including the coaches don’t agree with.

Still I think it’s fair to look at a kid like McCloud who has all the talent in the world and we see him in year 2 clearly struggling, second guessing, thinking too much etc. Any kid not comfortable is going to look “slow and stiff”.

Dont you think it’s fair to say there’s more to it than just “fast fast fast”?

I guess it’s tough for me to jump to conclusions when we haven’t really seen any of Manny’s LBs on the field for the most part.

- I haven't seen enough of Wilder. So I'm not sure how fast and shifty he is.
- I get what your saying about McCloud but if he is not ready why continue to throw him into the fire especially when he hurts our defense? Manny needs to yank him until he shows you he is ready to play at the level he needs to play at to help the team not hurt it.
- Of course there is more to it then just being fast but Manny's defense is at it's best when there is a lot of speed on the field. A lot of the LB's responsibility require speed to do at an elite level. So it doesn't make sense to me when we recruit slower guys who don't look fast or athletic.

Thanks for the post. I agree with you, I’m just more of a wait and see mode. I feel like since this staff got here there’s been a lot of questions that have ultimately been answered positively. Not that they are perfect. I think it’s certainly fair to monitor these situations though.

McCloud is NOT struggling due to being slow and stiff. Those are actually quite clearly 2 things that he’s not. McClouds biggest issue is his lack of instinct and Football intelligence. That’s what makes him appear slow on the field. Just look at Ramon Buchanan a few years ago. He’s one of the fastest LBs we’ve ever had at UM and he looked “slow and stiff” on the field due to lack of instinct.

With all that said, i really want Bonitto in this class. IMO he’s clearly a stud and an impact player at the next level. I’m also a big fan of Miller at the MLB spot

Great post. Some of the novice fans here don't get that reaction speed is infinitely more important that 40 yard speed for a LB. If you can't quickly read the play, it doesn't matter how fast you run the 40.

Sure I want fast LBs. But they also need to have instincts and be able to process the play. Guys that have played DE in H.S. frequently don't have the skill to play "in space" and it's not easy to develop.

Last edited:
We need to recruit more Jermaine Grace's...He would've been a machine if he played for us last year

Advertisement
Back