Nik Bonnito

Advertisement
I'm with you. Unique athlete. Ryan Shazier flashbacks.

Said this a few weeks ago too. I agree

This is a lazy comparison now, just like it was then. They are similar size and both rush the passer a lot sure, but Bonitto is slow as **** when compared to shazier. They will not be even comparable in space or downfield coverage at the next level.

You guys either mis remember, or simply have not compared measureables. Shazier was a freak athlete. Bonnitto, unless he has been holding back, is not.

That said I do like the kid's film and do want him. I just don't think people should expect to see similar players at the college level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this kid a linebacker or a defensive end who's size doesn't translate to the college game? Just curious as I'm not super familiar with him. Can he play in space?

A few reactions from this thread:

1) I’m good with taking 2 of Bonitto, Joyner and Miller. High on all 3, but I can see the argument for getting numbers in 2019. But if we take 1, we better be **** sure.

2) Miami doesn’t want Joyner at MLB, that’s FSU. Likely selling him on replacing MT6 and playing him inside and as a rusher as FSU has done w MT6 this season.

3) Could definitely see Owens and/or Gordinier transferring.

4) A 4-2-5 defense is very likely in our future imo and we could see that as early as Bowl Season depending on the Playoffs and our opponent.

5) Manny can scheme w anyone, the IRMA layoff and missing the Arky St game really set us back. Took this team several weeks to get into the groove and build our team chemistry between units on both sides of the ball. Hurt us more than most will admit. Only reason everyone seemed confused early on was that the scheme got more complex this year due to experience in the front 7 and coaches knew Jaquan would be able to clean up mistakes early. We are dominating now that everyone is settled into their assignments.

6) McCloud’s struggles are primarily from improper reads and not wrapping up. He’s a beast when he reads properly, just hasn’t been eye-disciplined. Too much going for the kill shot as well. Hard to blame him when he’s our biggest hitter on D and most athletic LB. I also think he’s playing out of position. Playing in space is not his strength. Needs to be playing Pinckney’s spot in the box imo, but that can’t happen bc we need those instincts there and Pinckney isn’t the same athlete where he could just play Sam. Coaches are just waiting for McCloud to come around and catch up to his ability. Lastly, LBs were not the only one missing gaps, DL and DBs had break downs in the run game as well.

Advertisement
No offense, big fella, but Bonnito isn't a "special." He's a known quantity, and just about every UM fan wants him here. He jumps off the screen every time I've seen him play.

A special ....isnt a sleeper for me...JUST ONE OF MY GUYS. He's a kid i was on since he was a sophomore.

Divaad Wilson cb from MNW is one of my guys to and we arent even blinking at him..but he's a kid i know iwll produce at the next level.

Joyner's got to be the most underrated recruit on this board. there's a reason our staff is bending over backwards to sign him and not Bonitto....he's the real deal.

I like Joyner as well hes long too and can strike and fsu is good with spotting linebackers under Fisher

Not really, brother. FSU has been good at recruiting and signing DL.

Yeah.....I don't know how any LB in their right mind would go to FSU. Their track records with LBs is similar to that of receivers - neither are developed. D-line on the other hand, Jimbo has invested well in that position as they constantly churn out 1st / 2nd round picks at the position; which is arguably the most important outside of QB and maybe o-line.

Going back to the subject at hand, Bonnito's good. I'm not trusting Chosen's evaluation of anything, especially when he's been knocking the S&C of this team all year round.

has nothing to do with Jimbo. The same guy has been there since bobby was there.

No offense, big fella, but Bonnito isn't a "special." He's a known quantity, and just about every UM fan wants him here. He jumps off the screen every time I've seen him play.

A special ....isnt a sleeper for me...JUST ONE OF MY GUYS. He's a kid i was on since he was a sophomore.

Divaad Wilson cb from MNW is one of my guys to and we arent even blinking at him..but he's a kid i know iwll produce at the next level.

I like Wilson's game, but he don't seem to be into Miami. We need kids that want to be Cane's!

Is this kid a linebacker or a defensive end who's size doesn't translate to the college game? Just curious as I'm not super familiar with him. Can he play in space?

go watch the film..which why i posted. He's a 4.7 40 kid. And sta play him in space this year alot it seems

Advertisement
Sub Grace in for McCloud and we have an argument for best defense in the country

What could have been with Grace and Quan... Sigh

Im sorry but Quan never did a **** thing here he was always hyped and I never understood why, Im pretty sure hes doing nothing in the nfl with pro coaching as well. (not 100% sure I dont keep up with the nfl no more just a guess)

Sub Grace in for McCloud and we have an argument for best defense in the country

Im sorry but Quan never did a **** thing here he was always hyped and I never understood why, Im pretty sure hes doing nothing in the nfl with pro coaching as well. (not 100% sure I dont keep up with the nfl no more just a guess)

Quan held his own in preseason play

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf7EQjPwJ78

but apparently hasn't seen much action during season.

Gonna get more burn now though as starting DE Alex Okafor is out for season.

Joyner's got to be the most underrated recruit on this board. there's a reason our staff is bending over backwards to sign him and not Bonitto....he's the real deal.

I like Joyner as well hes long too and can strike and fsu is good with spotting linebackers under Fisher

Not really, brother. FSU has been good at recruiting and signing DL.

Yeah.....I don't know how any LB in their right mind would go to FSU. Their track records with LBs is similar to that of receivers - neither are developed. D-line on the other hand, Jimbo has invested well in that position as they constantly churn out 1st / 2nd round picks at the position; which is arguably the most important outside of QB and maybe o-line.

Going back to the subject at hand, Bonnito's good. I'm not trusting Chosen's evaluation of anything, especially when he's been knocking the S&C of this team all year round.

has nothing to do with Jimbo. The same guy has been there since bobby was there.

I know, I give credit to Jimbo simply because he retained the d-line coach and that falls under his umbrella (just like the receivers and LBers respectively). I know Jimbo's specialty is QBs, not d-linemen.

Advertisement

AQM's a depth guy, I don't think he's recorded a sack. Eye test tells you he's special. In between the ears is something else. Dude had the opportunity to learn from Kool before going pro and couldn't stop himself from hitting the NCAA radar.

Quan held his own in preseason play

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf7EQjPwJ78

but apparently hasn't seen much action during season.

Gonna get more burn now though as starting DE Alex Okafor is out for season.

Lets see what he does

A few reactions from this thread:

1) I’m good with taking 2 of Bonitto, Joyner and Miller. High on all 3, but I can see the argument for getting numbers in 2019. But if we take 1, we better be **** sure.

2) Miami doesn’t want Joyner at MLB, that’s FSU. Likely selling him on replacing MT6 and playing him inside and as a rusher as FSU has done w MT6 this season.

3) Could definitely see Owens and/or Gordinier transferring.

4) A 4-2-5 defense is very likely in our future imo and we could see that as early as Bowl Season depending on the Playoffs and our opponent.

5) Manny can scheme w anyone, the IRMA layoff and missing the Arky St game really set us back. Took this team several weeks to get into the groove and build our team chemistry between units on both sides of the ball. Hurt us more than most will admit. Only reason everyone seemed confused early on was that the scheme got more complex this year due to experience in the front 7 and coaches knew Jaquan would be able to clean up mistakes early. We are dominating now that everyone is settled into their assignments.

6) McCloud’s struggles are primarily from improper reads and not wrapping up. He’s a beast when he reads properly, just hasn’t been eye-disciplined. Too much going for the kill shot as well. Hard to blame him when he’s our biggest hitter on D and most athletic LB. I also think he’s playing out of position. Playing in space is not his strength. Needs to be playing Pinckney’s spot in the box imo, but that can’t happen bc we need those instincts there and Pinckney isn’t the same athlete where he could just play Sam. Coaches are just waiting for McCloud to come around and catch up to his ability. Lastly, LBs were not the only one missing gaps, DL and DBs had break downs in the run game as well.

This is an excellent post, I agree on every point.

Advertisement
I was the first one to mention 4-2-5 in one of Pete's podcast threads. I talked about us offering Randy Russell plus hall and jobe as a sign that we're considering a 3 safety look where Mccloud gets subbed out for a player more comfortable in space. Of course a couple know nothings tried to argue otherwise and ranted about how we didn't really want randy once hall committed. Almost like he was pushed out. Wtf? That made me lol.

Don't be surprised if 3 of our 6 db commits end up at safety to go with Redwine, jj, smith, Carter, and Finley. 8 kids for 2.5 spots. This would also negate the need to grab as many lbs.

Unfortunately, with the overflow of monster DBs this cycle, we will miss on several guys who wind up going on to have stellar careers.

In fact, I'm certain of one thing--some of the guys we don't take will wind up being much better players than some of the guys we do take. That's just how it works.

There's no way all the DBs we take will wind up matching their plaudits. Some will fizzle out or transfer or just not live up to the hype. Meanwhile, some of the less heralded guys will end up being incredible college players. Happens every year.

That's why the most important aspect of recruiting is evaluation at a place like UM where we will usually have an abundance of talent from which to choose.

I’ll be very disappointed if we end up not taking Bonitto. Especially considering that he wants to be a Cane.

We need speed and length. Bonitto has that and he’s a stud. I know there is the concern with him not loving football but you have to let kids figure out what they do and don’t love. Can’t pin someone for liking basketball over football early in their career. Would be a big mistake letting him go to Louisville.

I’ll be very disappointed if we end up not taking Bonitto. Especially considering that he wants to be a Cane.

We need speed and length. Bonitto has that and he’s a stud. I know there is the concern with him not loving football but you have to let kids figure out what they do and don’t love. Can’t pin someone for liking basketball over football early in their career. Would be a big mistake letting him go to Louisville.

There's a star TE from Miami in the NFL that apparently liked basketball early in his career.

Advertisement
Back