NiJel Pack

Advertisement
starting-to.gif

Exactly. People thought he was something he wasn’t. He’s a nice college guard but nothing special.
I hope his defense improves. I guess we were spoiled with Charlie Moore last year. Last 3 games Pack has been very solid.

Advertisement
He was 41% 3PT for his career and averaged 43.6% 3PT and 17.4/game at KSU in the big 12 last year.

That is - by definition - pretty special.

Let’s just let him develop under L and evaluate at the end of the season.
If you think he’s a special player I don’t know what to say lol. Nothing about him is special , from his athletic ability on down. He’s a nice college player. That’s not a knock that’s just truth. He put up decent stats on a crappy team last year.

I remember two years ago when people on this same board was saying Wong could be Curry at the next level lol. I don’t think some people understand what the difference in special / elite and a nice player.

Last edited:
If you think he’s a special player I don’t know what to say lol. Nothing about him is special , from his athletic ability on down. He’s a nice college player. That’s not a knock that’s just truth.

I remember two years ago when people on this same board was saying Wong could be Curry at the next level lol. I don’t think some here know what special or elite really is.
Well, he has been pretty darn good offensively the last 3 games. 51 points, 13-25 from 3, and 4-4 from the stripe. We need nice college players and most importantly he is starting to fit into his roll well. Just in time for the tougher half of league play on our schedule.

I hope his defense improves. I guess we were spoiled with Charlie Moore last year. Last 3 games Pack has been very solid.
I know it’s just one play but his denial of the ball at the very end of the game to the guy on Cuse who was killing us was excellent and took him out of that play.

If you think he’s a special player I don’t know what to say lol. Nothing about him is special , from his athletic ability on down. He’s a nice college player. That’s not a knock that’s just truth. He put up decent stats on a crappy team last year.

I remember two years ago when people on this same board was saying Wong could be Curry at the next level lol. I don’t think some here know what special or elite really is.
IMO, and “average” meaning compared to other Power 5 starting point guards
Above average 3 point shooter
Above average ball handler
Very composed in big moments
Below average athlete
Average defender but has made some really good defensive plays

What does all that equal? To me he is a very good college player who will play professional basketball. He should get a shot in the NBA as a 2nd round pick/UDFA, may have to prove himself in the G league. And can certainly make a lot of money in Europe other wise.

Advertisement
I know it’s just one play but his denial of the ball at the very end of the game to the guy on Cuse who was killing us was excellent and took him out of that play.
He's had some nice plays where guys are going up for easy baskets and he gets his hand on the ball. He has active hands which you need to have at his size.

Well, he has been pretty darn good offensively the last 3 games. 51 points, 13-25 from 3, and 4-4 from the stripe. We need nice college players and most importantly he is starting to fit into his roll well. Just in time for the tougher half of league play on our schedule.
I’m defending him. People here acted like we landed Derrick Rose when he committed here. I didn’t , I knew what he was. Then when he didn’t play at the crazy standard people put on him they ripped him. He’s a nice p5 player but there’s nothing special or elite about his game or athletic ability.

To be a good team in cbb all you need is a few nice players , good guard play and shooting. We don’t need him to be special or something he isn’t. This team will win because there’s multiple guys who can score, there’s balance.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMO, and “average” meaning compared to other Power 5 starting point guards
Above average 3 point shooter
Above average ball handler
Very composed in big moments
Below average athlete
Average defender but has made some really good defensive plays

What does all that equal? To me he is a very good college player who will play professional basketball. He should get a shot in the NBA as a 2nd round pick/UDFA, may have to prove himself in the G league. And can certainly make a lot of money in Europe other wise.
I agree with Europe , not the NBA. To play at that size in the league you either need amazing athletic ability / quickness or must be extremely skilled. Find a niche. I don’t see that. Imo “ very good “ is over selling.

Last edited:
I’m defending him. People here acted like we landed Derrick Rose when he committed here. I didn’t , I knew what he was. Then when he didn’t play at the crazy standard people put on him they ripped him. He’s a nice p5 player but there’s nothing special or elite about his game or athletic ability.

To be a good team in cbb all you need is a few nice players , good guard play and shooting. We don’t need him to be special or something he isn’t. This team will win because there’s multiple guys who can score, there’s balance.
My brother played against Derrick Rose in 7th grade. They lost 76-12.

I’m of the belief we don’t have a NBA player on our roster. We have a bunch of really good guys who could develop into one eventually. With that being said pack would get picked up in the league first because what he does best is invaluable. The description I just seen for pack is really the m.o for zay wong.

Advertisement

I remember two years ago when people on this same board was saying Wong could be Curry at the next level lol. I don’t think some people understand what special or elite is.
If you wanna apply the loftiest definition of what "special" is, we've had exactly one player in the history of the program who meets that high standard -- Rick Barry.

If you wanna apply the loftiest definition of what "special" is, we've had exactly one player in the history of the program who meets that high standard -- Rick Barry.
And by that standard there are no special freshman/draft eligible college basketball players this year. Just Wemby and scoot lol

No, I don’t think you have to be a great pro to be special college player. A lot of special cbb players were bums in the league or never even made it. A special
college player can put a team on his back weeks at a time or longer. And i’m
not just talking points , special players can control the game for stretches without even taking a shot.

And by that standard there are no special freshman/draft eligible college basketball players this year. Just Wemby and scoot lol
Imo Shane Larkin was special his last year here. The intangibles finally matched up with the tangibles. He always had great physical traits minus height. He was the prototype college point guard. Great leader. Great ball handler. Really good passer. Very good athlete with great quickness. Very good shooter. Great IQ. Good enough defender.

He controlled the game without taking a shot, while shooting close to 50 % from the field. A floor general that scored when needed.

Going into the draft he graded out really good or better on every check list. The questions with him was height. His height is why he got the DJ Augustine ceiling from scouts.

Pack is nowhere in that stratosphere as an athlete or skill. Pack is a Jr now and with his physical attributes this is what he is. A nice college player and that’s just fine.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back