NiJel Pack

Advertisement
He’s in a role he’s not suited for. He’s both the problem and it’s not his fault, imo. Not every scorer is the same.

I suspect part of the sell here (other than bags on bags on bags) was developing him as a PG for the next level. He has no possible future as a 2 guard in the league (not suggesting he’s nba material at all, but his only path to the league is in the one slot).

But man… I’m honestly not sure he makes us a better team right now and he sure didn’t come cheap.

Advertisement
Nijel is too short to make it in the league, plus his defense is atrocious. He'd have a better shot of making it to the league by playing off the ball and getting drafted off the potential of being able to play the point.

Last edited:
He’s in a role he’s not suited for. He’s both the problem and it’s not his fault, imo. Not every scorer is the same.
I don't buy it. His "role" was/is as a pure outside shooter.

He misses too many open shots. Surely not near the 44% 3 point shooter he was at K State. Could be all that talk of big NIL $$ has him pressing?

Hopefully, he'll relax and start hitting a couple more 3 pointers a game. That's really the "difference" between what we've seen and what we had hoped for. He's averaging 11.4 ppg in all contests, and 10.6 in ACC games. If those numbers wee 17.4 and 16.6, we likely wouldn't be discussing this.

Advertisement
I think our season is going to depend on Pack and if he can get into a rhythm. We know he can perform better than he has been. I think this is priority #1 for the team.

If he shoots 44% from 3 rest of the season, this team will go a long ways. IF he continues shooting like he is now, we will be a top 4 or so ACC team, maybe a round of 32 type team.

I'm really surprised his shooting has dropped off so much, but I do know he is in a different role.

I think our season is going to depend on Pack and if he can get into a rhythm. We know he can perform better than he has been. I think this is priority #1 for the team.
I thought that too .... back in December. Beginning to wonder now, though, as the games pile up.

I think you're correct in that how far we can go depends largely on staying healthy and on Nigel giving us a couple more 3's each game. He's averaging double figures (10.6 ppg) in ACC play so it's not like he's not contributing. Just need a couple more makes a game from beyond the arc.

Advertisement
If you all came into this season expecting him to drop 25 plus a game and 5 threes a game then that's on you for expecting that. He's helped us win some games this year. Same people ****ting on him are probably the same who **** on Charlie Moore.

If you all came into this season expecting him to drop 25 plus a game and 5 threes a game then that's on you for expecting that. He's helped us win some games this year. Same people ****ting on him are probably the same who **** on Charlie Moore.
I think most people probably just expected him to shoot near his 3 point % and improve slightly from his K State days (most players improve as they get older).

He has done neither. Statistically, he has taken a huge step back.

I think its reasonable for ppl to be disappointed with his results so far.

I'm not giving up bc his value lies with his shooting ability. And as a lifelong bball player, I know your shot is impacted heavily by your mental state. Thats fixable.

Need him to pick it up tho.

He put up some big numbers (17 points and 3 assist) on a bad team last season so it is hard to know exactly how good he truly is.
It is not helping that Kansas State is currently 17-2 under their new HC.
I think Miller made the transition look so easy last season that it has raised the expectations for Pack, which creates a narrative that he is under achieving.
What is getting lost in the conversation is how well Joseph and Beverly have been playing.
Its hard to complain given the team results on the season.

Advertisement
Nah, as I said above, was hoping for 16-17 ppg.

10 ppg on .375 shooting is a little disappointing but nothing that he can't improve on. Fingers crossed.

While we're talking three point shooting., the player who has really dropped off is Bensley Joseph. He was 14-28 on threes during the non-ACC portion of the schedule, a stratospheric 50%. In ACC games so far, he's only hit 5-20, for 25%. That's brought his overall 3 pt shooting down to .396, which still is tops on the team.

Advertisement
Back