NiJel Pack

Advertisement
Pack is a very good shooter when he’s on, but doesn’t provide much else. He’s too small and weak to be an effective defender, and he hasn’t proven to be our best player running the point. I think it’s time we stop playing him at point guard,
Tonight proved what a complicated player he is. On the one hand, we got back in touch because he came out of the game and we went with better defensive guards. On the other hand, his scoring when he came back in was a big reason we got over the top. It’s going to be a challenge for L to manage those two factors.

Advertisement
Pack was never a PG at K State, he was an off-ball set shot Guard whose primary job was to hit 3’s.

He was never a ball distributor or traditional PG, he’s been a shooter his whole career.

His issue at Miami has been he’s been asked to be a ball handler & to create his own shot which isn’t really his game, he’s a rhythmic shooter who has to get into a groove before it starts falling, plus playing in the backcourt with a ball handler & playmaker like Wong can throw off his style of play.

He hasn’t lived up to what he did at K ST, but he’s not playing in KSU’s Offense & is on a different team altogether. Of course he’s not a good defender, but he never was so I’m not sure what’s so surprising about that lol.

If he plays like he played tonight he’ll help us win a lot more games down the stretch, but overall I don’t have as big of an issue with him as everyone else seems too. I mean, we got guys like Woog & Beverly who can barely dribble & are very inconsistent streaky shooters who get plenty of minutes (obviously because of their added defensive component), but if we cut Pack’s minutes that’s putting more pressure on guys who are not natural scorers to score more which is unfair to them & not very practical in the grand scheme of things.

Unless Watson & Robinson are gonna start playing a whole lot all of the sudden, we gotta play Pack, the key is just to get him in rhythm early, so that in crunch time when it matters most he won’t be hesitant or indecisive to pull the trigger when we need a big 3.

Regardless of how people might not like him as a player, we wouldn’t have beat Notre Dame, UCF & Cuse without him.

Hopefully we’ll continue to get more come ACC & NCAA tourney time.

Tonight proved what a complicated player he is. On the one hand, we got back in touch because he came out of the game and we went with better defensive guards. On the other hand, his scoring when he came back in was a big reason we got over the top. It’s going to be a challenge for L to manage those two factors.

Pack gets pushed around too much, needs to put on some muscle... like Chris Paul.

Advertisement
Other than 3s, his game is very limited.
If you hadn't noticed, three point shots are the primary focus of pretty much every offense -- in the college ranks and even more so in the NBA. A reliable three point bomber is gold in today's game.

The 3 point shot's importance is seen in the positionless game we now see all the time, with the "4 out" and even "5 out" offense being run.

I like Joseph at the 1 with Pack and Wong on the wings. Poplar off the bench.

Smaller lineup but less turnovers with a true PG who plays great defense in there.
I like that too. Poplar can provide instant offense, as a 6th man should. He seems to often score in short bursts in games, then go silent.

Advertisement
Nobody is saying he is bad, but I think we def overhyped him. I also think that him learning a new system/role could have played a part and am hopeful he takes off on the backend of the season.

Overhyped? You can't even spell his name properly. He was first-team All Big 12, that doesn't just happen by mistake.

Coach Larranaga even said his UM transition took a bit of time because we started asking him to guard the other team's best guard. Let the guy have a half-season to adjust, it took Charlie Moore a bit of time and he had even more experience than Pack has.

Good lord, people acting like some NIL money guarantees immediate success from a Portal transfer player...

Overhyped? You can't even spell his name properly. He was first-team All Big 12, that doesn't just happen by mistake.

Coach Larranaga even said his UM transition took a bit of time because we started asking him to guard the other team's best guard. Let the guy have a half-season to adjust, it took Charlie Moore a bit of time and he had even more experience than Pack has.

Good lord, people acting like some NIL money guarantees immediate success from a Portal transfer player...
Dude take a xanax. We def overhyped him coming in and expected him to be in the same form as he was at Kansas State.

I literally just said verbatim what you did about the half season.

You like to pick fights on here and your schtick is old.

Good call out on the name spelling tho.

Dude take a xanax. We def overhyped him coming in and expected him to be in the same form as he was at Kansas State.

I literally just said verbatim what you did about the half season.

You like to pick fights on here and your schtick is old.

Good call out on the name spelling tho.

Go **** off. No "we" didn't overhype him. Maybe YOU prematurely shot your load, but I've seen this movie before.

I don't pick any fights, you're just a bad porster. You spent an entire (other) thread picking fights, and now you're acting all virginal and innocent?

Hilarious.

Advertisement
Maybe so but if you hadn't noticed, in both the NBA and college ball these days, making threes is - far and away - game plan Priority #1.
It would be interesting to see the ppercentage of our shots that are threes. I think with the drivers and inside play, UM is is less dependent on threes than many other teams. A lost factor is that old fashioned threes point foul pressure on the other teams rosters.

I think most people probably just expected him to shoot near his 3 point % and improve slightly from his K State days (most players improve as they get older).

He has done neither. Statistically, he has taken a huge step back.

I think its reasonable for ppl to be disappointed with his results so far.

I'm not giving up bc his value lies with his shooting ability. And as a lifelong bball player, I know your shot is impacted heavily by your mental state. Thats fixable.

Need him to pick it up tho.
The bold part is money. His last 3 games his shooting has been lights out. He's building that confidence now. He keeps that up, and he will be an invaluable piece for us.

He is playing a new position and it was one of the reasons for coming to Miami (obv NIL was major). Coach L said he would put him at PG and kept his promise. His deal is for 2 years so we will have him again next season too. He's not NBA-ready yet and the 400k to stay is a security not to leave early.

Advertisement
Back