Nijel Pack to Miami

Advertisement
Look, I think Ruiz is making it about himself and guys like that personally rub me the wrong way. In the old days, he’d be threatening the program with his antics.

HOWEVER, these are not the old days. Miami is not “literally just buying players”, Miami didn’t make the announcement, Miami didn’t take the risk. Ruiz did, it’s his money and his rep that gets put on the line. He just announced the sponsorship publicly, which is not uncommon. In fact the “reporter” is objecting to it being public and the timing, while lying about who announced it, and would be completely fine if it was under the table like the old days.

Im a bit torn on this because I love the attention it’s bringing and the way it’s leveling up the program, but I don’t like the way Ruiz (and his family) likes to be the story as much as the players. I can’t have it both ways.

Ok... I've been holding back on this one, but F it...

IMO Ruiz is Mario's mouthpiece. He is saying all the things Mario isn't allowed to say because of NCAA recruiting rules. He's generating press and hype for Miami, which helps recruiting, which is Mario's #1, #1, and #1. Yeah, we're the bad boys again. Except we're bad boy bankers.

If anyone thinks Ruiz would step out of line against Mario's wishes, they don't understand what's going on here. There was a strategic reason Ruiz went out of his way to publicly downplay his relationship with Mario even though we all know better. Mario is telling Ruiz who to target, and how bad we want them. 100% IMO. Ruiz might have even given Mario a budget to divide up. This goes for hoop too. And baseball because of Johnny. The other sports are to provide cover.

This is a billion dollar program now with strong leadership. If anyone thinks that Ruiz is freestyling, I've got an FSU NIL to sell you.

If only it was that simple. It's not. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. It's not just about Player A getting X dollars.

Here's just a small example:

Wong signed with Life Wallet already, a few weeks back. I can see him receiving something similar, more or less.

Advertisement
So there can be dozens of articles on Tshwibe from Kentucky making over $1 Million in NIL, and no complaints.

But our own fans start pearl clutching over this?

Even on this board, there are people who legit think NIL is somehow 1. not a reality everywhere, 2. a problem when it benefits Miami. Just enjoy that we aren't being left behind for once

Who the F cares? No one had this "The game is ruined" energy when coaches started getting paid more than entire academic departments. No one had this energy when the highest paid state employee became a football or basketball coach in 48 out of 50 states. The talent should get paid, and I'm happy they are. If college sports changes, then so be it. The old system was trash and only served to take earned wealth from mostly working class student athletes and put it in the hands of old douchebags.
Perfect post

Advertisement
I never liked the (effect of) bags much, but always wished that we could do it too (and get away with it.)

I also never liked NIL's freewheeling effect, but also hoped we could do it (too)! And now we have! And Top Notch! And legal.

The rest of college basketball world who ain't amused can go F themselves. The PACK is (we) BAAAACCCCK!

Advertisement
So there can be dozens of articles on Tshwibe from Kentucky making over $1 Million in NIL, and no complaints.

But our own fans start pearl clutching over this?

Even on this board, there are people who legit think NIL is somehow 1. not a reality everywhere, 2. a problem when it benefits Miami. Just enjoy that we aren't being left behind for once
This. Anyone complaining about this right now is a soft shouldered whiny *****.

Advertisement
Dude is a 43% three point shooter

the sopranos smile GIF

Look, I think Ruiz is making it about himself and guys like that personally rub me the wrong way. In the old days, he’d be threatening the program with his antics.

HOWEVER, these are not the old days. Miami is not “literally just buying players”, Miami didn’t make the announcement, Miami didn’t take the risk. Ruiz did, it’s his money and his rep that gets put on the line. He just announced the sponsorship publicly, which is not uncommon. In fact the “reporter” is objecting to it being public and the timing, while lying about who announced it, and would be completely fine if it was under the table like the old days.

Im a bit torn on this because I love the attention it’s bringing and the way it’s leveling up the program, but I don’t like the way Ruiz (and his family) likes to be the story as much as the players. I can’t have it both ways.

I’m with you, but I think part of it is that Ruiz is literally using NIL to promote lifewallet as a consumer product.

Ruiz was not anything really special as a trial lawyer or mass tort guy. And tho the spac is real… there are a lot of legit legal questions about the collectibility/feasibility of the assignment claims upon which his worth is based.

So for now, he’s got lots of access to capital, LOVES the U, and recognizes the legit exposure boon of NIL.

This is at least what I can gather from knowing that Ruiz seems not to be an outcast in the Hecht.

So… I say god bless him as long as he’s following all the rules and dotting all the I’s.

Advertisement
Back