Nijel Pack to Miami

Advertisement
I'm at the point where I hope we flaunt the **** out of it. If it's legal, do it. Advertise it. Alabama and so many others have flaunted their success, while playing dirty, so it's time for someone to knock them off their dirty high horse. Make those dirty ******** sweat now, like we had to when they were trying to shut down our program "legally" with the help of the dirty@$$ NCAA.

Miami's at its best when everybody hates us. Bout time we leaned in to being the heel

That’s a ton of bank and I’m grateful to Ruiz.

But IMO this whole NIL thing is starting to spiral out of control and it’s not gonna end well for college athletics as we know it.

My biggest concern is how long it'll be before the well dries up. Ruiz can't keep dropping $400k a year on single players, can he? It's gonna add up quick, and like, I still have no idea what LifeWallet even is or does.

giphy.gif

LFG!!!

Huge pickup for the Canes!

We just got a legit high level PG that shoots 45% from the floor, 84% from the FT line & 43% from 3.

I just rewatched his game against Kansas from back in January when he dropped 35, this kid is a BIG TIME scorer!

He might be the best 3pt shooter we’ve had since Jack McClinton, this kid is deadly from long range.

Advertisement
My biggest concern is how long it'll be before the well dries up. Ruiz can't keep dropping $400k a year on single players, can he? It's gonna add up quick, and like, I still have no idea what LifeWallet even is or does.
LifeWallet is set to be a multi-Billion dollar company, he doesn’t have a cap on how much he’ll be able to spend.

What Ruiz is spending in recruiting is pennies on the dollar to the amount of revenue he’s going to make in the future.

The penny-pinching days are over for Miami, the program is making a lot of money & we finally have a concerted effort from our big money boosters to spend & invest, money will longer be an issue here.

Last edited:
LifeWallet is set to be a multi-Billion dollar company, he doesn’t have a cap on how much he’ll be able to spend.

What Ruiz is spending in recruiting is pennies on the dollar to the amount of revenue he’s going to make in the future.

The penny-pinching days are over for Miami, the program is making a lot of money & we finally have a concerted effort from our big money booster to spend & invest, money we longer be an issue here.
Win win win all around to me. He gets all this advertising/attention out of our student athletes, kids get paid, we get better players. I hope to see all the larger local businesses get involved in the same thing with our student athletes. Have to take advantage of being in a large market.

What better way that to launch your business by teaming with one of the largest brands in college athletics? Brilliant marketing move, instead of paying for others to be the ambassadors of LifeWallet, use the athletes to promote the brand in the brand new world of NIL. Cavinder twins have what 4M followers on TikTok? Plus having the conditions to being a LifeWallet rep make it so this is not a pay for play.

Bigger schools are ****ed because if money is almost equal would you rather be in Miami or West Lafayette/Columbus?

Look, I think Ruiz is making it about himself and guys like that personally rub me the wrong way. In the old days, he’d be threatening the program with his antics.

HOWEVER, these are not the old days. Miami is not “literally just buying players”, Miami didn’t make the announcement, Miami didn’t take the risk. Ruiz did, it’s his money and his rep that gets put on the line. He just announced the sponsorship publicly, which is not uncommon. In fact the “reporter” is objecting to it being public and the timing, while lying about who announced it, and would be completely fine if it was under the table like the old days.

Im a bit torn on this because I love the attention it’s bringing and the way it’s leveling up the program, but I don’t like the way Ruiz (and his family) likes to be the story as much as the players. I can’t have it both ways.

I'd also prefer that he keep the compensatory details quiet. I do understand SOME advantages to making a public announcement, but I think these numerical details need to remain private.

That's all. I do see all the angles, all the arguments, all the counter-arguments. I just think compensation should not be advertised openly like that.

Advertisement
And yes I’m aware Pack didn’t really play Point Guard at K-State, he was more of an undersized 2-guard.

But IMO I think he can play Point for us, I think Wong is better as an off-ball guard, but he can be a good ball distributor & operate the offense when necessary too.

It will be interesting to see what we can get out of Joseph.

I'd also prefer that he keep the compensatory details quiet. I do understand SOME advantages to making a public announcement, but I think these numerical details need to remain private.

That's all. I do see all the angles, all the arguments, all the counter-arguments. I just think compensation should not be advertised openly like that.
True, lacks tack to some degree in my opinion as well, that being said, he enjoys the bravado style and I'm sure he thinks putting out some big numbers publicly is like trolling the waters for future deals.

And yes I’m aware Pack didn’t really play Point Guard at K-State, he was more of an undersized 2-guard.

But IMO I think he can play Point for us, I think Wong is better as an off-ball guard, but he can be a good ball distributor & operate the offense when necessary too.

It will be interesting to see what we can get out of Joseph.
He’s transferring to play point. I would imagine he has his eyes set on making money beyond lifewallet. Not a lot of 5’11”- 6’ shooting guards on NBA rosters.

Advertisement
Look, I think Ruiz is making it about himself and guys like that personally rub me the wrong way. In the old days, he’d be threatening the program with his antics.

HOWEVER, these are not the old days. Miami is not “literally just buying players”, Miami didn’t make the announcement, Miami didn’t take the risk. Ruiz did, it’s his money and his rep that gets put on the line. He just announced the sponsorship publicly, which is not uncommon. In fact the “reporter” is objecting to it being public and the timing, while lying about who announced it, and would be completely fine if it was under the table like the old days.

Im a bit torn on this because I love the attention it’s bringing and the way it’s leveling up the program, but I don’t like the way Ruiz (and his family) likes to be the story as much as the players. I can’t have it both ways.
This is becoming a win-win. You may find Ruiz too brash and self-serving with his methods and I would agree with you. But Ruiz is basically our George Steinbrenner. And we are in a non-salary cap league with the biggest spender in the bunch, thus far.

Let’s see if the new thing amongst billionaires becomes who can buy the best college team/program.
Imagine Zuck and Gates and Bezos creating NIL deals for smart, great athletes to attend Harvard, or Yale or Stanford. Those schools can actually play this game at the highest level if they choose since they likely have the most connected/alumni billionaires.

This is the Brave New World.

Advertisement
I'm a little torn myself but f*** it. LETS RIDE. Or as Ruiz say "THE TIME IS NOW"

Dude is a legit big time lawyer, he knows the NIL law, he's not afraid of the NCAA (which has scarred all of UM fans permanently, let's be honest) and the dude wants to win and win now. While these are ridiculous numbers for us and college kids, if he actually is a billionaire or anywhere close, it's literally peanuts for him. Spend $1M per year and turn UM into a legit Bball contender every year? Lolz

BRB DOWNLOADING LIFEWALLET NOW AND YOU SHOULD TOO. SHOW SOME SUPPORT

Who the F cares? No one had this "The game is ruined" energy when coaches started getting paid more than entire academic departments. No one had this energy when the highest paid state employee became a football or basketball coach in 48 out of 50 states. The talent should get paid, and I'm happy they are. If college sports changes, then so be it. The old system was trash and only served to take earned wealth from mostly working class student athletes and put it in the hands of old douchebags.

If only it was that simple. It's not. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. It's not just about Player A getting X dollars.

Here's just a small example:

Advertisement
Back