NFL Playoff Insights for our Offense

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Watching some of the most dynamic offenses in the world today, and you immediately notice what they do come playoff time: tighter formations, more under center and emphasis on the run game.

Most people on here know I'm a huge proponent of schematic advantage. There are literally hundreds of ways to do it. From Mcvay, Payton and Reid to the Air Raid guys in college, it's about creating advantages. In meaningful football games, winning offense basically always comes down to one thing:

Which offense can consistently convert 3rd downs and consistently sustain drives?

We have been absolutely horrendous at this for 3 years running no matter how you slice and dice "explosive plays." We, of course, want an offense that attracts recruits, puts up big numbers, is fun to watch, etc. You don't have to sacrifice all of that completely, but you do have to focus on conversions and sustaining drives.

I'm curious how much Enos is going to bring a blend of under center, diverse running game and a vertical attack. Let's just admit that virtually anything is going to be better than what we've recently watched. Outside of suddenly going 5WR against Syracuse during the 2017 season, we rarely saw a significant wrinkles that led to competitive advantages.

After watching nearly a full season (Arkansas 2015) of Enos as an OC, his offense looked somewhat like what Bruce Arians did in Arizona. What I'm wondering is if Enos and crew are going to use experiences at Bama, etc., to build an offense that peaks out in meaningful games and perhaps is a blend of spread, aggressive elements with a focus on conversions. Think New Orleans Saints.

Advertisement
Seeing all the usage of motion and plays, counter plays and future plays being setup has me ready to see our offense next year. It will open so much up with the athletes that we have offensively.

What I'm wondering is if Enos and crew are going to use experiences at Bama, etc., to build an offense that peaks out in meaningful games and perhaps is a blend of spread, aggressive elements with a focus on conversions. Think New Orleans Saints.

Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe Enos would abandon the concepts that brought success at Bama.

From what I gather, Enos seems like a flexible thinker.

2015 they were top 20 in third down conversion and first in the SEC vs conference opponents.

Also top 20 in TD conversion in the red zone.
Obviously can’t point to one year and think he’s a lock to be good here. But the film of his 2015 Arkansas offense was really encouraging. And we have better skill positions than they did with higher potential.

As with everything it comes down to QB and OL.

Advertisement
I think Enos will see Deejay and Davis and want to really rely on them, I really hope we see something along the lines of what Bama ran this year but also a little of what he did at Arkansas but that will be harder with the OL.

Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe Enos would abandon the concepts that brought success at Bama.

From what I gather, Enos seems like a flexible thinker.
At some point we either believe Manny or we don’t. They’ve obviously had tons of conversations about this.

Manny is aggressive, mixes things up, innovative....says he wants the same things from an offense (picking something he knows would give him trouble)

People either think Manny is completely full of ****, or you believe him.

I believe him.

Advertisement
I see a lot of misdirection, play action, quick pitches, some tempo, etc.

If we get Hurts, we'll most likely see the Bama stuff. Otherwise, Enos will be flexible based on what he sees in our personnel, QB and others.

Advertisement
At some point we either believe Manny or we don’t. They’ve obviously had tons of conversations about this.

Manny is aggressive, mixes things up, innovative....says he wants the same things from an offense (picking something he knows would give him trouble)

I believe him.
Arkansas offense under Enos was innovative, and did mix things up.

This wasn’t 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Dude threw the ball all over the place and ran the ball at you from all diff directions.

Also, Enos was known for being a gambler on 4th down and aggressive on 1st downs. (announcers referenced it during a game I watched).

Arkansas offense under Enos was innovative, and did mix things up.

This wasn’t 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Dude threw the ball all over the place and ran the ball at you from all diff directions.

Also, Enos was known for being a gambler on 4th down and aggressive on 1st downs. (announcers referenced it during a game I watched).
From what I’ve seen, I agree with you.

You can run the ball and be innovative. It doesn’t apply to just some sort of Air Raid offense.

For all the numbers Brees puts up the Saints won the Super Bowl running the ball and they are where they are today because they have a great running attack.

Two things you have to do to be elite.Run the ball and stop the run.You can’t do either chances are you ain’t gonna be successful.

Advertisement

I believe him.

I believe him as well based on how he rebuilt the defense.

I believe him.
You’ve said this in a few posts, iirc. I idea what you’re talkimbout. This is a discussion board. And it ain’t about ‘believing’ in Manny. Believing is for cults. It’s about show me. Let’s see what he can do.

You’ve said this in a few posts, iirc. I idea what you’re talkimbout. This is a discussion board. And it ain’t about ‘believing’ in Manny. Believing is for cults. It’s about show me. Let’s see what he can do.
I don’t think I have said this.

What I’m saying just refers to the scheme.

I’m saying I believe Enos will be doing certain things on offense because that’s what Manny said he’s looking for.

Whether it works or is an abysmal failure is to be seen.

I don’t think I have said this.

What I’m saying just refers to the scheme.

I’m saying I believe Enos will be doing certain things on offense because that’s what Manny said he’s looking for.

Whether it works or is an abysmal failure is to be seen.
Eh. I doubt Manny is telling his OC what to run. More like a discussion of philosophy. Richt did same to Manny. And Enos didn’t come to Miami to run Manny Diaz’s offense.

I think Manny probably emphasized similar points to how he views defense, and which he has said publicly. Attacking and using scheme to create confusion and uncertainty for opponents. No doubt he wants modern influences, which will include spread concepts. As a DC, I have no doubt he also wants the ability to run the ball. Enos is credible for both sides of that equation.

Anyhow, it isn’t about believing in manny here. As a fan, it’s about discussing what we’d like to see for our offense, and why; and now that there is an OC, what we think of him relative to us, our needs, our players and talent base, and the style we want to see.

You can root for Manny to succeed without thinking his every decision is flawless. I happen to like Enos from what I’ve read. It’s not what I was expecting, but it’s a credible choice.

Advertisement
Back