NFL Playoff Insights for our Offense

Did you see how MCVAY had Dallas on they heels. Boy got bout 20 plays out of one formation. Not only that it’s the same motions and fake handoffs but sometimes it’s truly a running play while sometimes it’s PA. Really amazing to watch. I hope Enos is coming with something like that. Like manny said a offense that stresses the defense to death

Correct. We should be watching McVay. He is young but he is hardly a cupcake coach. The offense is predicated on power designs and lots of basic plays but not predictable. He always has high volume rushing attempts and if the opponent can't stop it he will punish them with the run instead of getting needlessly cute.

And that is particularly important with a quarterback like Goff, who is leggy, not a great athlete, and cannot escape pressure. Goff needs higher rushing attempts as a protectant than someone like Mahomes.

I love that we had someone here saying we need to be looking at 3rd down screen passes. Talk about clueless. Cupcake fans love screen passes. They get so excited when one of them tricks the opponent they are willing to completely overlook the incompetent overall percentage of success.

Screen passes work best on 2nd down. That is true in college and pro.

Advertisement
At some point we either believe Manny or we don’t. They’ve obviously had tons of conversations about this.

Manny is aggressive, mixes things up, innovative....says he wants the same things from an offense (picking something he knows would give him trouble)

People either think Manny is completely full of ****, or you believe him.

I believe him.
There was this fast developing jet sweep KC ran that was so fast developing I was like holy fuq thats an awesome play, i forgot which one it was but it was a fake inside and the motioned wr got the ball. Defense had no time to react it was like futuristic **** lol. Hope we run alot of different things and find the qb that fits it, going to be a sad day when Enos leaves cause I now believe he has the mind for this.

For me it’s all about tempo. Whether it’s from shotgun or undercenter I’ll let coach figure that out. I just want to see us wearing teams down at a breakneck pace.

Well,...we'll have to be able to have a "developed-enough" QB that can sustain drives in order for that to really happen.

I'm glad to see people's wants and needs for "innovation" and alot of points and "mixing things up" (which you cant do unless somethings already working) and everything else, so long as they realize all these things will have to take time to snowball and develop.

Lu- I'm a Bucs fan, so I've been reading up on Arians and his offenses. One interesting tidbit, when Arians was coach of the Cardinals from 2013-2017, Az's OL allowed 106 hits per season which was the 3rds highest average in that span. When he was interim coach of the Colts in 2012, the OL allowed 116 hits which was the 2nd most. The net net is that an offense like Arians needs a stout OL, guys who can really go vertical, TEs who can run and catch bc they're usually left in 1 on 1 situations, and RBs who can also catch.

If we can't solve our OL issues, we're going to have problems in that sort of offense.
True. It's the natural vulnerability of running a vertical offense. Thing is I don't think our OL was as bad as it looked. Certainly, not that much worse as compared to their ACC peers.

Advertisement
No, I guess I should have quoted the post I was responding to. Someone was talking about the Rams have 20 different plays from the same look.
Agreed. We can't even get close to what McVay does in terms of breadth. The guy runs 10 permutations of one playcall with insane precision. Watch his guys run up to the line from a quick huddle, line up like soldiers and catch defenses off guard. That type of training and discipline is unlikely to ever reach the college ranks. We can, however, glean some stuff from philosophy.

However, we can watch another game, like today's NE game, and see the Pats revert back to I-Form as a base for an advantage. We'll never be able to be so flexible and adjust week to week like that, but it's interesting to see the game always goes back to the same objective: convert and sustain.

That Arkansas offense of 2015 was creative from the highlights i watch. There were alot of motion and formations. I know we need scheme creativity but our offensive players were badly coached fundamentally. That needs to be the basis of our improvement.

Advertisement
1. An offense built on the QB running the football would help in efficiency. If you can't dominate up front, you need the QB to stay ahead of the sticks.

2. Not run an offense that requires the OL to dominate up front for there to be offensive success. Everybody likes to point to 2015 Arkansas. And I get it. But here's 2016 Arkansas:
  • Last year, they ranked 74th in Rushing S&P+, and that was bolstered by explosive plays. They were dreadful at staying ahead of the chains on the ground: 102nd in rushing success rate, 109th in stuff rate, and 128th in power success rate. Out of 128 teams.

And here's the Arkansas write up on what Enos wants to do with his run blocking scheme:

"There just really is not much different that can be found from the film while Enos was at Central Michigan. Not a lot of misdirection or anything other than some use of zone blocking, with big-on-big in most situations."

It's easy to see what happened here. Enos' rushing scheme is premised on his OL lining up and beating the sh*t out of the guys in front of them. Nothing fancy. That worked in 2015. Then 3 guys from the OL graduated and the young guys weren't able to do that anymore. But Enos' scheme was still premised on his OL doing all the work through pure dominance, so the fall was gigantic.

He needs to do more to help his OL out here at Miami. Do that, and we can be efficient on offense. Don't do that, and you're going to get these kind of Arkansas Boom-Bust seasons in terms of offensive efficiency.
Having a qb that is used in the running game doesn't mean you can move the chains either....name ANY scheme in which you can be effective...consistently without good OL play....what UM should start to incorporate is zone blocking schemes in which your not asking your linemen to move guys with sheer strength and size but use their athleticism to create cut back lanes and get those defensive tackles moving from sideline to sideline.

Agreed. We can't even get close to what McVay does in terms of breadth. The guy runs 10 permutations of one playcall with insane precision. Watch his guys run up to the line from a quick huddle, line up like soldiers and catch defenses off guard. That type of training and discipline is unlikely to ever reach the college ranks. We can, however, glean some stuff from philosophy.

However, we can watch another game, like today's NE game, and see the Pats revert back to I-Form as a base for an advantage. We'll never be able to be so flexible and adjust week to week like that, but it's interesting to see the game always goes back to the same objective: convert and sustain.

I love me some first downs. When you move the chains all kinds of options present themselves. Also, helps the offense gain confidence.

Go Canes!

...name ANY scheme in which you can be effective...consistently without good OL play....

A QB that can routinely take advantage of his feet takes some of the load off of any offensive line in ANY scheme.

It doesn't mean u can stop recruiting OLinemen,...but it's basic knowledge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back