NFL Playoff Insights for our Offense

You’ve said this in a few posts, iirc. I idea what you’re talkimbout. This is a discussion board. And it ain’t about ‘believing’ in Manny. Believing is for cults. It’s about show me. Let’s see what he can do.
More or less I’m saying “show me” too haha. I mean at this point I will take Mannys word for the style offense he wants to run but we will have to wait and see for sure

Advertisement
Eh. I doubt Manny is telling his OC what to run. More like a discussion of philosophy. Richt did same to Manny. And Enos didn’t come to Miami to run Manny Diaz’s offense.

I think Manny probably emphasized similar points to how he views defense, and which he has said publicly. Attacking and using scheme to create confusion and uncertainty for opponents. No doubt he wants modern influences, which will include spread concepts. As a DC, I have no doubt he also wants the ability to run the ball. Enos is credible for both sides of that equation.

Anyhow, it isn’t about believing in manny here. As a fan, it’s about discussing what we’d like tl see for our offense, and why; and now that there is an Oc, what we think of him relative to us, our needs, our players and talent base, and the style we want to see.

You can root for Manny to succeed without thinking his every decision is flawless.

I happen to like Enos from what I’ve read. It’s not what I was expecting, but it’s a credible choice.
Fair points.

I’m not explaining myself very well obviously. I’m certainly not suggesting Manny is flawless. Not even close.

There’s nothing to base Mannys decision making on as a HC so I’m 100% in wait and see mode.

I just happen to believe that Enos fits what he wants. That’s all.

Certainly not begrudging people from discussing it. That would be pretty boring.

Advertisement
1. An offense built on the QB running the football would help in efficiency. If you can't dominate up front, you need the QB to stay ahead of the sticks.

2. Not run an offense that requires the OL to dominate up front for there to be offensive success. Everybody likes to point to 2015 Arkansas. And I get it. But here's 2016 Arkansas:
  • Last year, they ranked 74th in Rushing S&P+, and that was bolstered by explosive plays. They were dreadful at staying ahead of the chains on the ground: 102nd in rushing success rate, 109th in stuff rate, and 128th in power success rate. Out of 128 teams.

And here's the Arkansas write up on what Enos wants to do with his run blocking scheme:

"There just really is not much different that can be found from the film while Enos was at Central Michigan. Not a lot of misdirection or anything other than some use of zone blocking, with big-on-big in most situations."

It's easy to see what happened here. Enos' rushing scheme is premised on his OL lining up and beating the sh*t out of the guys in front of them. Nothing fancy. That worked in 2015. Then 3 guys from the OL graduated and the young guys weren't able to do that anymore. But Enos' scheme was still premised on his OL doing all the work through pure dominance, so the fall was gigantic.

He needs to do more to help his OL out here at Miami. Do that, and we can be efficient on offense. Don't do that, and you're going to get these kind of Arkansas Boom-Bust seasons in terms of offensive efficiency.

"There just really is not much different that can be found from the film while Enos was at Central Michigan. Not a lot of misdirection or anything other than some use of zone blocking, with big-on-big in most situations."

It's easy to see what happened here. Enos' rushing scheme is premised on his OL lining up and beating the sh*t out of the guys in front of them. Nothing fancy. That worked in 2015. Then 3 guys from the OL graduated and the young guys weren't able to do that anymore. But Enos' scheme was still premised on his OL doing all the work through pure dominance, so the fall was gigantic.

He needs to do more to help his OL out here at Miami. Do that, and we can be efficient on offense. Don't do that, and you're going to get these kind of Arkansas Boom-Bust seasons in terms of offensive efficiency.

Agree with the bold part for sure. Why I'm curious what elements he mixes together.
Not sure about the italicized part in the context of what we'll see because I saw a handful of different things in his run game while watching the Arkansas game. I'm guessing he's evolving.

Did you see how MCVAY had Dallas on they heels. Boy got bout 20 plays out of one formation. Not only that it’s the same motions and fake handoffs but sometimes it’s truly a running play while sometimes it’s PA. Really amazing to watch. I hope Enos is coming with something like that. Like manny said a offense that stresses the defense to death

Advertisement
I’m just glad we’re finally gonna put an emphasis on TE’s again. Jordan and Mallory are both fantastic. Bitersweet feeling watching Herndon & njoku flourish in nfl offenses. We definitely could have gotten more out of Herndon & Njoku if they had better coaching. Seems like Enos likes to get the most out of his TE’s.

News flash...our offensive line still sucks! No winning until oline get better ok grasshoppers? You filthy animals are dismissed.

Advertisement
It’s not hard to figure out what Diaz is looking for.

His whole defensive philosophy is to get opponents behind schedule. Get a TFL, get them in a second and long, third and long situation. That forces errors and out comes the turnover chain.

Stands to reason, then, that what he’s looking for on offense is to stay on schedule, to not allow TFL’s, and to not turn the ball over.

Given that, it makes sense that he wants to go pro style, with an efficient QB.

I’m betting Jalen Hurts is the guy next year. He fits the mold perfectly.

And I’m betting our offense will look a lot like Arkansas used to. We’ll get better at the point of attack, positive yards on 1st down, a much higher passer efficiency, Also, far fewer turnovers.

Everybody keep in mind that Enos isn't going to solve the OL problem overnight. We may have to rely on spread sets initially until the OL gets up to snuff.

Lu- I'm a Bucs fan, so I've been reading up on Arians and his offenses. One interesting tidbit, when Arians was coach of the Cardinals from 2013-2017, Az's OL allowed 106 hits per season which was the 3rds highest average in that span. When he was interim coach of the Colts in 2012, the OL allowed 116 hits which was the 2nd most. The net net is that an offense like Arians needs a stout OL, guys who can really go vertical, TEs who can run and catch bc they're usually left in 1 on 1 situations, and RBs who can also catch.

If we can't solve our OL issues, we're going to have problems in that sort of offense.

Advertisement
For me it’s all about tempo. Whether it’s from shotgun or undercenter I’ll let coach figure that out. I just want to see us wearing teams down at a breakneck pace.

Did you see how MCVAY had Dallas on they heels. Boy got bout 20 plays out of one formation. Not only that it’s the same motions and fake handoffs but sometimes it’s truly a running play while sometimes it’s PA. Really amazing to watch. I hope Enos is coming with something like that. Like manny said a offense that stresses the defense to death

My thoughts exactly. The few games I looked at when Enos was OC at Arkansas gave me hope that he sets his plays up similar to what we witnessed McVay due today. The formations and plays may not be the same but the setup of running multiple plays, wether motion, shifts, fake handoffs out of the same formations were there.

I think we cooking with grease!

I live in K.C I watch Andy Reid and Eric Bienemy and the way they use the screen game and misdirection would be sick in college.

Advertisement
Back