Next Challenge - re: Running Back

Noliaboi

Sophomore
I never doubted the ability to recruit or put any blame on Coach Richt and Coach Brown after losing McFarland. My only gripe was what most of us agreed on, them putting all their eggs in one basket of a silent commit. However, that is not what this thread is about.

Coach Brown's newest challenge after landing Lingard: Convincing another elite back (or two) to join the fold and share a back field for the next 3 years. FSU just did it with three, Alabama has done it. We should be able to do it this year as well. We need two minimum.

Advertisement
And this is why you don't take Kyshaun Bryan last cycle. The #'s still look good to recruit.

Give me

Lingard/Curry/Davis and call it a day. Curry can be a short yardage/ red zone monster and Davis and Lo can straight up ball any down. It is wise to have them share responsibilities as you dont want them taking too many hits in college in the first place. By sharing the workload the chaches can convince these players that they can create an unstoppable running game wihtout jeopardizing their career. CMR knows this it's why I;m not even worried. This is the guy who landed Chubb, Gurley and Michel a bunch of 4/5 star dudes and now Lingard. CMR has a great track record with elite rbs and putting them in the NFL so he commands that respect he knows how to convince these kids.

Not disputing the OP's theory but also wondering if starting with a base of Walton & Homer on campus right now that it's better to try to land the uber elite back once a year to establish that spacing and possibly keep them content over the amount of carries they're getting over their careers. Obviously you try to recruit the best possible kid you can every time but there are potential pitfalls (as we've seen) in putting too much hope and attention on one or two kids. But hey, if Rick and Brown can pull another elite back for 2018 then I'm not going to protest over strategy at all. Then again, this is Florida. We ALWAYS should be stocked with elite backs.

Advertisement
We not taking 3 backs... maybe another one to go with lingard but that's it. For the final slot Miami should probably go after a change of pace back

I never doubted the ability to recruit or put any blame on Coach Richt and Coach Brown after losing McFarland. My only gripe was what most of us agreed on, them putting all their eggs in one basket of a silent commit. However, that is not what this thread is about.

Coach Brown's newest challenge after landing Lingard: Convincing another elite back (or two) to join the fold and share a back field for the next 3 years. FSU just did it with three, Alabama has done it. We should be able to do it this year as well. We need two minimum.

the challenge is keeping him imo

Blue chip recruits have egos, 90% of them want to be the main guy in a recruiting class. Camron Davis shares the backfield with Nayquan Wright already.

Advertisement
I think we take 2 as well. Unless the coaches aren't happy with what they see in Homer/Burns, or the 3rd back brings a completely different skill set.

Seems logical they made an agreement with McFarland.other than Burns you come to the U and
we will not recruit anymore rb's.That agreement held until almost last day.

Advertisement
Blue chip recruits have egos, 90% of them want to be the main guy in a recruiting class. Camron Davis shares the backfield with Nayquan Wright already.
True, but sharing a backfield is actually a selling point these days. NFL teams/scouts essentially dock players points in their grades because of the perception of too much mileage.

Advertisement
Just from a numbers standpoint we need to take at least two running backs and preferably three. If we only take two we will need a grad transfer next year just for depth.

Most teams have at least five scholarship running backs on their roster. Having anything less than that is playing with fire.

Gurley, Chubb, Michel. Has been done before with our current coaches.

Yes, many do. But you sell them on not beating their bodies up too much and leaving lots of tread on the tires for the NFL. They will still get theirs. Fournette got the crap beat out of him with all his carries....look where it got him? A guy who had zero questions 1 year ago now has lingering medical concerns about his foot/ankle. Cook has been beat up the past 2 years with his shoulders. We showed this year with Yearby and Walton that guys can split and put up great stats, just like Mixon and Perine at OU. Same as in past years with McGahee, Ports, Davenport, Gore etc all waiting and going pro one right after the next.

Advertisement
Back