New workout vid

Using the hook grip is far superior in every way at any given weight that these guys would be lifting and it doesn’t create potential for muscle imbalances. It also translates to other lifts. The alternating grip provides absolutely no value to these athletes.

For what it's worth, I can consistently deadlift a little more weight using the alternating grip. What I'm thinking is problematic for me is that I always want to use the same alternating grip instead of switching it up, so I'm sure I have imbalances on one side. Never really thought about it though. Decent article on the subject https://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog/case-mixed-grip-deadlifts/

I never thought a CIS post would change the way I deadlift, but I think I'm gonna just go hook grip exclusively now.

Advertisement
Keep in mind as you increase poundage unless you do wrist curls / forearm work your grip will not handle increase pounds in your lifts ,auxiliary work is critical for smaller muscles in hands forearms .

75% of weight lifters neglect auxiliary work, abdominal six pack core work also , you must have strong core also .

This why I always trained with bodybuilders constantly in my early training after competitions .

I recommend grip wraps , I used these grips often in heavy wrack work.

I would do stage wrack deadlifts at different heights of ungodly tonage so my body would feel and remember what was to come using grip wraps .

Anyway auxiliaries key for power

GOCANES

When you start going over 300 lbs on deadlift and doing multiple reps, you'll wish you started using alternate grips.

You should switch to alt grip one you can't hold the weight double overhand anymore. Most people this will happen around 455, but even then you should do your warmup sets with double overhand to build that grip strength.

Im just mad that theres a 90% chance we loose Gurvan this year cause of targeting. He gave no ***** about life in high school and I dont think thats changed. Theres a play in high school were he committed murder and just scooped up the ball without caring if the kid was ok. Will never forget it and now with that size someone might actually die.
Don't worry. Most he will get is involuntary manslaughter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Why would I need facts when what you wrote is pure 🐎 💩.

Go away

Except it’s not, and this guy has these kids using the alternating grip even at low weights. It simply has no use to these athletes. If they were deadlifting over 600lbs, I could see the need to use it instead of the hook grip, but I doubt many guys on the team can deadlift 600+.

Using the hook grip is far superior in every way at any given weight that these guys would be lifting and it doesn’t create potential for muscle imbalances. It also translates to other lifts. The alternating grip provides absolutely no value to these athletes.

Have you ever hook gripped before? You can't do nearly as much weight as you could with alternating grip. If you are worried about imbalances you can just alternate the grip after every set(which tons of athletes already do).

Advertisement
Have you ever hook gripped before? You can't do nearly as much weight as you could with alternating grip. If you are worried about imbalances you can just alternate the grip after every set(which tons of athletes already do).

Yes, I hook grip every time I deadlift and you can lift plenty of weight with it. More weight than these guys need to be deadlifting.

Yes, I hook grip every time I deadlift and you can lift plenty of weight with it. More weight than these guys need to be deadlifting.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you hook gripped your entire career all that means is your deadlift didn't progress as fast as it could have. That is a straight up fact. There is no arguing that. Your core, back, and hammys get stronger faster than your grip does. The proper way to go about doing this is to deadlift double overhand until you can't anymore, then you switch to a mixed grip while doing your warmups with double over hand and eventually your double overhand will reach a point where you can deadlift decently heavy weights, but college players want to get strong asap. Andrew Billings deadlifted over 700lbs in high school. These guys are a lot stronger than you think.

Just because you read on some website that you should stick to hook grip because it is safer doesn't mean it should be used across the board for elite athletes.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you hook gripped your entire career all that means is your deadlift didn't progress as fast as it could have. That is a straight up fact. There is no arguing that. Your core, back, and hammys get stronger faster than your grip does. The proper way to go about doing this is to deadlift double overhand until you can't anymore, then you switch to a mixed grip while doing your warmups with double over hand and eventually your double overhand will reach a point where you can deadlift decently heavy weights, but college players want to get strong asap. Andrew Billings deadlifted over 700lbs in high school. These guys are a lot stronger than you think.

Just because you read on some website that you should stick to hook grip because it is safer doesn't mean it should be used across the board for elite athletes.

LOL...I guarantee very few of these guys can deadlift over 600lbs, which is fine as they don’t need to.

I had never deadlifted before in my life until May 1st of 2018 and I went from deadlifting 225lbs for a set of 5 to deadlifting 405lbs for a set of 5 in a matter of 3 months while just using a standard double overhand grip and no belt. I now deadlift 517.5lbs for a set of 5 with the hook grip. I could have done more with the standard grip, but intentionally switched to the hook grip in order to get used to it before the weights got too heavy. It’s absolutely false that you can’t increase your deadlift quickly using a double overhand grip.

Advertisement
LOL...I guarantee very few of these guys can deadlift over 600lbs, which is fine as they don’t need to.

I had never deadlifted before in my life until May 1st of 2018 and I went from deadlifting 225lbs for a set of 5 to deadlifting 405lbs for a set of 5 in a matter of 3 months while just using a standard double overhand grip and no belt. I now deadlift 517.5lbs for a set of 5 with the hook grip. I could have done more with the standard grip, but intentionally switched to the hook grip in order to get used to it before the weights got too heavy. It’s absolutely false that you can’t increase your deadlift quickly using a double overhand grip.

LMFAOOOOO holy schit are you delusional. So you think that D1 NFL players can't deadlift 600 lbs, but a guy who has been deadlifting for 7 months can get to 580 for 1? Saquan is a running back and can power clean 405 while in college. Almost all of our starting DBs and safeties squat over 400 lbs. When you are squatting over 400 while being over 6 foot with a very lanky build, than you are almost gaurunteed to be breaking 600lb deadlift. Most RBs, LBs, and lineman are deadlifting over 600lbs.

Sure you can get to 517.5 for reps like that, but as you stated you could have increased faster with an alternating grip. For someone your age it is probably best to stick with the hook grip, but a D1 athlete is going to train differently than you would.

LMFAOOOOO holy schit are you delusional. So you think that D1 NFL players can't deadlift 600 lbs, but a guy who has been deadlifting for 7 months can get to 580 for 1? Saquan is a running back and can power clean 405 while in college. Almost all of our starting DBs and safeties squat over 400 lbs. When you are squatting over 400 while being over 6 foot with a very lanky build, than you are almost gaurunteed to be breaking 600lb deadlift. Most RBs, LBs, and lineman are deadlifting over 600lbs.

Sure you can get to 517.5 for reps like that, but as you stated you could have increased faster with an alternating grip. For someone your age it is probably best to stick with the hook grip, but a D1 athlete is going to train differently than you would.

No, I never said I could have got there faster. My grip was never an issue and still isn’t. In fact, I could likely do 517.5 with just a standard double overhand grip. You don’t need to use the alternating grip to get rapid gains in you deadlift.

Additionally, these guys aren’t powerlifters and they general won’t be deadlifting extremely heavy weights, so it would be more useful for them to stick to the hook grip, which is more than sufficient for the weights they will be deadlifting regularly and it carries over to their OLY lifts. The alternating grip does not.

No, I never said I could have got there faster. My grip was never an issue and still isn’t. In fact, I could likely do 517.5 with just a standard double overhand grip. You don’t need to use the alternating grip to get rapid gains in you deadlift.

Additionally, these guys aren’t powerlifters and they general won’t be deadlifting extremely heavy weights, so it would be more useful for them to stick to the hook grip, which is more than sufficient for the weights they will be deadlifting regularly and it carries over to their OLY lifts. The alternating grip does not.

You really have no idea wtf you are talking about. You are about 50 years old. Your grip is naturally going to be a **** of a lot stronger compared to your back and leg strength. Especially if you worked any sort of laboring position. So just because you personally are an outlier whose grip strength is stronger than his leg strength. That does not mean this is how you train teenagers.

These guys may not be powerlifters, but they are going to be stronger than someone powerlifting for less than a year lol. Most teenagers are going to have their deadlifts stagnate due to grip strength before their back and legs give out. Therefore you switch over to mixed grip.

Even competitve power lifters that compete without straps utilize straps in training occasionaly because it has been proven numerous times that you can deadlift more when you don't need to utilize energy to grip the bar as hard. This is the same concept here. Using a mixed grip will allow you to waste less energy on gripping the bar and use mar energy to lift more on the deadlift.

Advertisement
Back