New workout vid

LOL no, I’m not talking about quarter squats. I’m talking about squats that are intended to go to full depth but almost always stop short of parallel (or preferably just below parallel). That stresses the knee tremendously and robs the athlete of necessary hamstring development.

You have absolutely no idea how deep the squats were intended to go. They may be trying to build explosiveness at a certain depth. This only becomes an issue with reversing when the patella is not in a fully stable position. If you do this constantly which these guys are not doing.

Advertisement
You have absolutely no idea how deep the squats were intended to go. They may be trying to build explosiveness at a certain depth. This only becomes an issue with reversing when the patella is not in a fully stable position. If you do this constantly which these guys are not doing.

They do it constantly. I’ve watched countless videos from programs all around the country (including Miami) of Max Squat day. They are certainly intending to go to full depth when performing a 1RM. It is rare to see anyone in these videos going to full depth. If the S&C coaches are allowing them to cheat on max day then, there is no doubt these guys are doing that in their regular workouts.

They do it constantly. I’ve watched countless videos from programs all around the country (including Miami) of Max Squat day. They are certainly intending to go to full depth when performing a 1RM. It is rare to see anyone in these videos going to full depth. If the S&C coaches are allowing them to cheat on max day then, there is no doubt these guys are doing that in their regular workouts.

If every program in the nation is doing it. Then there is a reason for it. These guys are getting paid tons of money to make these guys the best they can possibly be. I have seen plenty of guys reach depth on squats before on a 1rm.

So basically your reasoning is. Players shouldn't alt grip deadlift because I don't think they will be able to keep their elbows straight because I don't see them hitting paralel on their squat in promo videos.

You have absolutely no idea if these guys just started doing deadlifts with mixed grip from day 1.

Jesus, just watched a video the other day of Don Chaney Jr using mixed grip with less than 200lbs on the bar. There is absolutely no reason to be doing that and it robs him of grip strength development.

Advertisement
Jesus, just watched a video the other day of Don Chaney Jr using mixed grip with less than 200lbs on the bar. There is absolutely no reason to be doing that and it robs him of grip strength development.

You have no idea why he was doing that. He may have been doing a circuit with that at the end and he wanted all of his energy going towards his deadlifts instead of worry about his grip failing.

If every program in the nation is doing it. Then there is a reason for it. These guys are getting paid tons of money to make these guys the best they can possibly be. I have seen plenty of guys reach depth on squats before on a 1rm.

So basically your reasoning is. Players shouldn't alt grip deadlift because I don't think they will be able to keep their elbows straight because I don't see them hitting paralel on their squat in promo videos.

No, there is no reason to have these guys regularly stop short of parallel other than the fact that it allows them to post bigger numbers, which makes the S&C coaches look better.

Most of these S&C coaches are idiots who are benefiting from the fact that they are training the most physically gifted athletes in the world. As a Miami fam, we should be intimately familiar with this concept given the last two complete ******* morons we had training our players.

No, there is no reason to have these guys regularly stop short of parallel other than the fact that it allows them to post bigger numbers, which makes the S&C coaches look better.

Most of these S&C coaches are idiots who are benefiting from the fact that they are training the most physically gifted athletes in the world. As a Miami fam, we should be intimately familiar with this concept given the last two complete ******* morons we had training our players.

No it does not make the SC look better. Do you think the HC says to himself, well my guys are constantly getting pushed around on the line, look small, and are getting injured, BUT they are posting better numbers in the weight room than another team so I will let them stick around. NO. These guys are in the business of making them better football players.

Both Swasey and Gus still knew more than 99.99% of the population.

Advertisement
You have no idea why he was doing that. He may have been doing a circuit with that at the end and he wanted all of his energy going towards his deadlifts instead of worry about his grip failing.

Also, this would precisely prove my point about robbing these kids of grip strength development.

LOL...worrying about his grip failing at under 200lbs? LMAO!

Considering the fact that you are still running Rippetoe you wouldn't understand. When you exhaust your grip to a certain point even holding 135 becomes difficult.

Also, it wasn't 200lbs i saw the video it was 315. The outside weight was a bumper plate which is why it looked bigger. The kid is 16 he may have struggled to rep out 315 at the end of his workout because of his grip so he switched it to alt grip for the video to make it look easier.

No it does not make the SC look better. Do you think the HC says to himself, well my guys are constantly getting pushed around on the line, look small, and are getting injured, BUT they are posting better numbers in the weight room than another team so I will let them stick around. NO. These guys are in the business of making them better football players.

Both Swasey and Gus still knew more than 99.99% of the population.

LMAO!

Also, this would precisely prove my point about robbing these kids of grip strength development.

No it wouldn't. You don't use a double overhand to increase grip strength at the loss of deadlifting strength. Once your grip is the limiting factor you remove it and train grip using something else.

Advertisement
Considering the fact that you are still running Rippetoe you wouldn't understand. When you exhaust your grip to a certain point even holding 135 becomes difficult.

Also, it wasn't 200lbs i saw the video it was 315. The outside weight was a bumper plate which is why it looked bigger. The kid is 16 he may have struggled to rep out 315 at the end of his workout because of his grip so he switched it to alt grip for the video to make it look easier.

LOL...I’m not running Rippetoe.

Advertisement
Yeah, once grip is actually the limiting factor.

Yes. You missed my point with the pre exhausting. I am saying for all we know the kid could have just been doing a chinup circuit and his forearms are fried.

You have no idea what he was doing prior to deadlifting and if he really should be sticking with a double OH style DL.

Mixed grips DLs are perfectly fine. What the fvck are you guys talking about?

You’ve also gotta remember that he’s less than a month in to teaching these guys proper form.

Some of these guys have little experience in proper weight training. And I’d guess virtually all of them have never done overhead squats.

Give the man some time

Advertisement
Back