New workout vid

No, I never said I could have got there faster. My grip was never an issue and still isn’t. In fact, I could likely do 517.5 with just a standard double overhand grip. You don’t need to use the alternating grip to get rapid gains in you deadlift.

Additionally, these guys aren’t powerlifters and they general won’t be deadlifting extremely heavy weights, so it would be more useful for them to stick to the hook grip, which is more than sufficient for the weights they will be deadlifting regularly and it carries over to their OLY lifts. The alternating grip does not.

Really this all boils down to a guy that was deadlifting 225 pounds less than a year ago that thinks he knows more than a top football SC coach.:zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Advertisement
Except it’s not, and this guy has these kids using the alternating grip even at low weights. It simply has no use to these athletes. If they were deadlifting over 600lbs, I could see the need to use it instead of the hook grip, but I doubt many guys on the team can deadlift 600+.

I would love to back & forth with you about football, strategy, X&O’s etc but debating about which grip to use on the deadlift. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 No one will ever make me be that lame. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 You can have it.

I would love to back & forth with you about football, strategy, X&O’s etc but debating about which grip to use on the deadlift. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 No one will ever make me be that lame. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 You can have it.

The guy has no idea wtf he is talking about. He has been deadlifting for less than a year lmao. He probably heard his trainer at planet Fitness tell him he will tear a bicep alt gripping and thinks its a straight up fact now.

... his trainer at planet Fitness tell him he will tear a bicep alt gripping and thinks its a straight up fact now.

LOL In between his aerobicize classes at PureBarre and OrangeTheory is how he picked up his grip philosophy - from the guys leading his workout sessions...

You really have no idea wtf you are talking about. You are about 50 years old. Your grip is naturally going to be a **** of a lot stronger compared to your back and leg strength. Especially if you worked any sort of laboring position. So just because you personally are an outlier whose grip strength is stronger than his leg strength. That does not mean this is how you train teenagers.

These guys may not be powerlifters, but they are going to be stronger than someone powerlifting for less than a year lol. Most teenagers are going to have their deadlifts stagnate due to grip strength before their back and legs give out. Therefore you switch over to mixed grip.

Even competitve power lifters that compete without straps utilize straps in training occasionaly because it has been proven numerous times that you can deadlift more when you don't need to utilize energy to grip the bar as hard. This is the same concept here. Using a mixed grip will allow you to waste less energy on gripping the bar and use mar energy to lift more on the deadlift.

Yeah, I’m not 50 years old.

Also, I would argue that it would be better for these guys just to use straps when lifting heavier weights than it would be to use the alternating grip. At least in that scenario, they are still maintaining the same positions they will use in the OLY lifts.

Again, these guys aren’t regularly deadlifting heavy, heavy weights anyway, so there is generally no need for them to use the alternating grip. Most of the videos I’ve seen are of guys doing higher rep sets with less than 300lbs. There is absolutely no reason to use the alternating grip in those situations.

Advertisement
The guy has no idea wtf he is talking about. He has been deadlifting for less than a year lmao. He probably heard his trainer at planet Fitness tell him he will tear a bicep alt gripping and thinks its a straight up fact now.

Watching the extremely poor technique these guys use when lifting, there is no doubt that they are at higher risk of tearing a bicep using mixed grip. Is it completely safe when done properly? Absolutely. But, most of these guys aren’t using proper technique across the board.

Yeah, I’m not 50 years old.

Also, I would argue that it would be better for these guys just to use straps when lifting heavier weights than it would be to use the alternating grip. At least in that scenario, they are still maintaining the same positions they will use in the OLY lifts.

Again, these guys aren’t regularly deadlifting heavy, heavy weights anyway, so there is generally no need for them to use the alternating grip. Most of the videos I’ve seen are of guys doing higher rep sets with less than 300lbs. There is absolutely no reason to use the alternating grip in those situations.

Well it was a safe assumption since your name is Canes1968 . How old are you? Do you work a job that would strengthen your grip?

You are 100% wrong that these guys don't deadlift heavy weights. This is a promo video they aren't going to be maxing out with slow grinding sets which will not look good on video. I know quite a few D1 guys and all of them deadlift heavy regularly in the offseason.

600 pound deadlift is not heavy, heavy weights. Any weight someone can reach in under a year is not heavy, heavy.

These guys are not deadlifting to increase their olympic lifts. They are deadlifting for the loads of benefits it provides to their core, back and legs. Alternating grip deadlifts is ideal for what they are trying to do.

Advertisement
Watching the extremely poor technique these guys use when lifting, there is no doubt that they are at higher risk of tearing a bicep using mixed grip. Is it completely safe when done properly? Absolutely. But, most of these guys aren’t using proper technique across the board.

The main risk of bicep tear on an alt grip deadlift. Is maxing out with bent elbows. I have not seen that in any video that has been posted.

Here is Jalen hurts as a junior in HS deadlifting 565 with an alternating grip

at under 200lbs. If you don't think 300 lbs guys with 4 years of College SC are going to outlift a junior in HS QB than I don't know what to tell you.

Well it was a safe assumption since your name is Canes1968 . How old are you? Do you work a job that would strengthen your grip?

You are 100% wrong that these guys don't deadlift heavy weights. This is a promo video they aren't going to be maxing out with slow grinding sets which will not look good on video. I know quite a few D1 guys and all of them deadlift heavy regularly in the offseason.

600 pound deadlift is not heavy, heavy weights. Any weight someone can reach in under a year is not heavy, heavy.

These guys are not deadlifting to increase their olympic lifts. They are deadlifting for the loads of benefits it provides to their core, back and legs. Alternating grip deadlifts is ideal for what they are trying to do.

Then, they should just be using straps. Mixed grip is pointless. They should use standard grip on warm ups to a point then switch to hook grip then switch to straps.

No, I work at a computer. I’m just not a ******* ***** with a ***** *** grip.

The main risk of bicep tear on an alt grip deadlift. Is maxing out with bent elbows. I have not seen that in any video that has been posted.

Yeah, if none of them can properly perform a back squat, I’m not trusting that they can properly perform a mixed grip deadlift.

Advertisement
Yeah, if none of them can properly perform a back squat, I’m not trusting that they can properly perform a mixed grip deadlift.

LMFAOOOOOOO choosing to do a high bar squat does not mean they "don't know how to perform a back squat". Also, properly squatting is a lot harder than just keeping your elbows straight.

Then, they should just be using straps. Mixed grip is pointless. They should use standard grip on warm ups to a point then switch to hook grip then switch to straps.

No, I work at a computer. I’m just not a ******* ***** with a ***** *** grip.

Wrong. There is plenty of benefits from deadlifting without straps which is why they do the alternating grip.

Being a ***** has nothing to do with grip strength. You just happen to have a decently strong grip when you started out because you started lifting at such a late age.

LMFAOOOOOOO choosing to do a high bar squat does not mean they "don't know how to perform a back squat". Also, properly squatting is a lot harder than just keeping your elbows straight.

LOL...who said anything about a high bar squat being improper? I don’t care what type of squat they are doing, they aren’t performing them properly. The most obvious, and alarming, issue you see with almost every one of these guys (and it’s not just Miami) is that they are doing partial squats. It’s an epidemic in collegiate weight rooms and in my opinion is a significant contributor to the high incendences of knee injuries.

Advertisement
LOL...who said anything about a high bar squat being improper? I don’t care what type of squat they are doing, they aren’t performing them properly. The most obvious, and alarming, issue you see with almost every one of these guys (and it’s not just Miami) is that they are doing partial squats. It’s an epidemic in collegiate weight rooms and in my opinion is a significant contributor to the high incendences of knee injuries.

These guys do plenty of to depth squats. However, they also do heavy quarter squats because when programmed correctly they are great for building explosiveness. They are similar to doing a box squat, except they build explosiveness in that range of motion instead of used to get past sticking points.

Wrong. There is plenty of benefits from deadlifting without straps which is why they do the alternating grip.

Being a ***** has nothing to do with grip strength. You just happen to have a decently strong grip when you started out because you started lifting at such a late age.

Disagree. Also, many of these guys have been robbed of grip strength development from the first day they stepped in the weight room as many simply started out using mixed grip because they were instructed by some dumbass to do so or watched a video of a college football player doing it.

These guys do plenty of to depth squats. However, they also do heavy quarter squats because when programmed correctly they are great for building explosiveness. They are similar to doing a box squat, except they build explosiveness in that range of motion instead of used to get past sticking points.

LOL no, I’m not talking about quarter squats. I’m talking about squats that are intended to go to full depth but almost always stop short of parallel (or preferably just below parallel). That stresses the knee tremendously and robs the athlete of necessary hamstring development.

Disagree. Also, many of these guys have been robbed of grip strength development from the first day they stepped in the weight room as many simply started out using mixed grip because they were instructed by some dumbass to do so or watched a video of a college football player doing it.

You have absolutely no idea if these guys just started doing deadlifts with mixed grip from day 1.

Advertisement
Back