New unis

Wait.... when did Oregon recruit well? They just had their best class ever and it got Taggert the FSU job.

2009 is when they started doing the whole thing where they never wear the same combo twice in one year. They also went from classes in the 30s to the number 12 class 3years in a row.

Advertisement
2009 is when they started doing the whole thing where they never wear the same combo twice in one year. They also went from classes in the 30s to the number 12 class 3years in a row.

But did their recruiting increase because of uniforms or the fact that Chip Kelly was their coach from 2009-2012 and he had a career record of like 46-7?

But did their recruiting increase because of uniforms or the fact that Chip Kelly was their coach from 2009-2012 and he had a career record of like 46-7?

I guess we will never know, but they got a TON of exposure because of it. Everyone was talking about how cool it was that they didnt wear the same thing twice. ESPN, sports illustrated, tons of different internet sites. I also was in HS during that time and I know tons of HS kids at the time thought it was the coolest thing ever(so I would assume that would translate over to HS kids that where actually good enough to play P5 football). I also personally know 2 kids that went to Oregon about that time mainly because of the jerseys(I say mainly because they obviously wouldn't go to some G5 school because of the jerseys and if they sucked they probabyl wouldnt have went their, but they went to Oregon over offers from bigger name schools). I also remember seeing a ton of youtube videos from recruits talking about how cool the jersey where and stuff which im sure swayed their opinions a bit especially if it was a very tight decision.

Sounds like a bunch of you "guys" need to stop playing dress up with your barbie dolls.

I'll see you at mat drills tomorrow morning. 5:30 AM sharpish.
Walkoff.gif

I mean Oregon had to get something going for them.. they had not real history before Nike started backing the brink truck up.. thanks Phil

I mean I wouldn’t wanna move up there

Advertisement
I guess we will never know, but they got a TON of exposure because of it. Everyone was talking about how cool it was that they didnt wear the same thing twice. ESPN, sports illustrated, tons of different internet sites. I also was in HS during that time and I know tons of HS kids at the time thought it was the coolest thing ever(so I would assume that would translate over to HS kids that where actually good enough to play P5 football). I also personally know 2 kids that went to Oregon about that time mainly because of the jerseys(I say mainly because they obviously wouldn't go to some G5 school because of the jerseys and if they sucked they probabyl wouldnt have went their, but they went to Oregon over offers from bigger name schools). I also remember seeing a ton of youtube videos from recruits talking about how cool the jersey where and stuff which im sure swayed their opinions a bit especially if it was a very tight decision.

Original, you may be right about that, but i would say, if a kid is gonna go to a school because he likes their uni's to me he's just not that serious about football. He should be more concerned about winning football games and where he can go to do that, you dont see Bama, Texas, PSU, man i could go forever but they wear their traditional uniforms as always and get top notch players. Remember the goal of pretty much all these kids is to play in the NFL, and cool uniforms dont get you there. I also hope MR dont engage in this cool contest of uni's, they dont win games, let Oregon and Phil K do all that, we dont need it

Original, you may be right about that, but i would say, if a kid is gonna go to a school because he likes their uni's to me he's just not that serious about football. He should be more concerned about winning football games and where he can go to do that, you dont see Bama, Texas, PSU, man i could go forever but they wear their traditional uniforms as always and get top notch players. Remember the goal of pretty much all these kids is to play in the NFL, and cool uniforms dont get you there. I also hope MR dont engage in this cool contest of uni's, they dont win games, let Oregon and Phil K do all that, we dont need it

I definetly agree that we dont need the uniforms to pull recruits like Oregon did. Like you said all the great schools pull talent without it. I just wanted to point out that it does help a bit and it may sway some kids who are having trouble picking between 2 schools.

I don't think it's anyone's top priority, but unis play a role like campus and weather and everything else teams try to sell. Be honest: when you're buying a car, don't you pay attention to how it looks or what people think of it? Are you really not at all swayed by whistles and bells? Companies wouldn't try so hard with styling and fancy gadgets if people really just picked the car that was most practical for their needs. Not surprising that kids are no different.

I don't think it's anyone's top priority, but unis play a role like campus and weather and everything else teams try to sell. Be honest: when you're buying a car, don't you pay attention to how it looks or what people think of it? Are you really not at all swayed by whistles and bells? Companies wouldn't try so hard with styling and fancy gadgets if people really just picked the car that was most practical for their needs. Not surprising that kids are no different.

get your point, but we have so much to sell without the uni's, especially if said recruit is not from SoFlo, which was one of my points on recruiting board. I was asking why we basically stopped recruiting Texas like we used to, started with Jimmy, Dennis and Butch kept it going, after them not so much, I scouted Kevin Everett and we got him signed, he has made almost complete comeback btw. Texas is loaded with linemen, we need linemen, SoFlo is loaded with the skills with super speed but not alot of the big eaters. To most of these Texas boys Miami is heaven. you gotta realize most have never even seen the ocean unless they live near the coast and its still not the same, thats what we have to sell. Beautiful white beaches, fine *** women EVERYWHERE, never gets cold, tons of nightlife like they have never seen, and on and on and on. I could sell the **** out of Miami, everywhere but SoFlo i guess, never tried it. The local boys, depending on who we're crootin against, i would start with the NFL, which is why they are playing football, there is NOWHERE they can go and have a better shot at the NFL, period. Then education, we are higher up than nearly all the P5's that are good in football, world class education. Then, small private school where you wont have 300 people in each of your classes, more of a personalized experience. Funky looking uniforms would not be on my list, the traditional powers for the most part dont do it and neither would i, i love our traditional look. I got you ready to sign didnt i ??

Advertisement
get your point, but we have so much to sell without the uni's, especially if said recruit is not from SoFlo, which was one of my points on recruiting board. I was asking why we basically stopped recruiting Texas like we used to, started with Jimmy, Dennis and Butch kept it going, after them not so much, I scouted Kevin Everett and we got him signed, he has made almost complete comeback btw. Texas is loaded with linemen, we need linemen, SoFlo is loaded with the skills with super speed but not alot of the big eaters. To most of these Texas boys Miami is heaven. you gotta realize most have never even seen the ocean unless they live near the coast and its still not the same, thats what we have to sell. Beautiful white beaches, fine *** women EVERYWHERE, never gets cold, tons of nightlife like they have never seen, and on and on and on. I could sell the **** out of Miami, everywhere but SoFlo i guess, never tried it. The local boys, depending on who we're crootin against, i would start with the NFL, which is why they are playing football, there is NOWHERE they can go and have a better shot at the NFL, period. Then education, we are higher up than nearly all the P5's that are good in football, world class education. Then, small private school where you wont have 300 people in each of your classes, more of a personalized experience. Funky looking uniforms would not be on my list, the traditional powers for the most part dont do it and neither would i, i love our traditional look. I got you ready to sign didnt i ??

You're right, we have a lot to sell and that's why we were still winning a few recruiting battles even with terrible coaching. But I think you use every single thing you can to win those battles. So if we can pick up a few top kids by having lots of shiny uniforms, then I'm down.

As for getting me to sign, I did that a long time ago. I appreciate your pitch though.

the GOAT uni's were the orange tops that went down to the belly button, couldnt tuck em in, and white pants, dont know if those jerseys would be legal anymore. 2nd would be the 2000-2001 green tops white pants, all we need is that U on the side of the helmets, nothing flashy, and just kick *** like we did in those uni's

Advertisement
I'm sure your joking, but we actually would recruit better if we looked good. Tons of kids went to Oregon just because of the swag they have. Also, Jordan brand schools get kids just because they want the Jordan swag. BTW are you Pike? Skol is Pikes drink of choice.

Stop it. Our uniforms are great, and this stuff about Oregon is BS. I’m not sure Oregon has ever had a top 10 class. The iconic schools don’t change their uniforms every year to some corny ****. Our uniforms except for the tire tread are perfect.

Stop it. Our uniforms are great, and this stuff about Oregon is BS. I’m not sure Oregon has ever had a top 10 class. The iconic schools don’t change their uniforms every year to some corny ****. Our uniforms except for the tire tread are perfect.

They went from consistently being 30+ to consistently top 15 when they started getting the new uniforms.

Advertisement
You must not follow recruiting besides Miami if that's what you think. Tons of their top kids where talking about how they are going to be swagging out and never wearing the same uniform combo twice.

My god. These narratives are so ridiculously dumb. I’m sure a bunch of Oregon recruits enjoy their dumb uniforms that change every game. I’m sure UCF recruits enjoy their rusted stadium. I’m sure Maryland recruits think their Under Armour gear is just amazing.

They’re so great that nobody even knows what they look like because they change every game. Oregon started wearing their goofy uniforms in like 05 or 06 and signed a bunch of classes ranked in the 30s after that. They didn’t start getting classes ranked in the teens until Chip Kelly came there, and that’s because he took them to a new level although they had been a very solid program under Belotti. Then once Helfrich came, their recruiting rankings slipped again—because they were garbage.

The top schools in the recruiting rankings always have classic uniforms. Alabama. Georgia. Miami. USC. PSU. Notre Dame. Texas. Oklahoma. How can all these schools recruit against Oregon when they have “swagged out” uniforms?

Oregon is a corny school who needed to rely on gimmicks for attention because they are in...Oregon. Miami is an iconic college football brand. No need to change your uniforms every game like some wannabe school.

My god. These narratives are so ridiculously dumb. I’m sure a bunch of Oregon recruits enjoy their dumb uniforms that change every game. I’m sure UCF recruits enjoy their rusted stadium. I’m sure Maryland recruits think their Under Armour gear is just amazing.

They’re so great that nobody even knows what they look like because they change every game. Oregon started wearing their goofy uniforms in like 05 or 06 and signed a bunch of classes ranked in the 30s after that. They didn’t start getting classes ranked in the teens until Chip Kelly came there, and that’s because he took them to a new level although they had been a very solid program under Belotti. Then once Helfrich came, their recruiting rankings slipped again—because they were garbage.

The top schools in the recruiting rankings always have classic uniforms. Alabama. Georgia. Miami. USC. PSU. Notre Dame. Texas. Oklahoma. How can all these schools recruit against Oregon when they have “swagged out” uniforms?

Oregon is a corny school who needed to rely on gimmicks for attention because they are in...Oregon. Miami is an iconic college football brand. No need to change your uniforms every game like some wannabe school.

Wrong again. Oregon started the jerseys in 06 and had the 50th ranked class. In 07 they dropped to 14 and then had 3 top 15 classes over the next 5 years. Those other teams have top classes because they are blue blood schools if you think uniforms don't sway kids then you are a fool. If Oregon didnt have those jerseys they would not have landed the classes they have. The Jordan schools get a definite bump because of the jerseys. Oregon had kids that chose them over better schools because of the swag.

Wrong again. Oregon started the jerseys in 06 and had the 50th ranked class. In 07 they dropped to 14 and then had 3 top 15 classes over the next 5 years. Those other teams have top classes because they are blue blood schools if you think uniforms don't sway kids then you are a fool. If Oregon didnt have those jerseys they would not have landed the classes they have. The Jordan schools get a definite bump because of the jerseys. Oregon had kids that chose them over better schools because of the swag.

LMFAO. Please stop.

They started it in 06. In 07 they had a 14th ranked class. Then followed that up with the 34th ranked class in 08, the 30th ranked class in 09...and then the 12th ranked class in 2010, which was the class signed after Chip Kelly’s first year as a head coach. So they were mostly signing classes in the 30s until Chip Kelly took over. STOP.

Advertisement
Back