New UM Training Table

As a student, whose parents paid full tuition, at UM, it used to irk me off that the "student-athletes" had their own private dining hall....and the reality was that it was really only for the football team. Of course, this was 20 year ago, but it looks like some things haven't changed.

I went to UM.. and if I had 75 hungry football players at the same cafeteria as me I would never get a chance to eat! I say we thank UM for getting these hungry football players their own spot so the little guy can get a sandwich before class.

Advertisement
I have to agree with a previous poster. There is a direct correlation between the rise of the football program and the growth of the university. Pre-1980's UM was not considered a top echelon university recognized nationally for its educational prowess. It was mostly know as Sun-Tan U. It used to look more like an over grown High School than a major educational institution As the football team became a national power it brought much greater marketability and a higher profile to the school and enhanced its fund raising abilities exponentially.However, I believe many of the school administrators and those on the BOT don't quite understand this correlation since this would require them to depart from their Marxist leanings. The football program became the schools cash cow and the students currently and previously owe the prestige of a UM diploma to Hurricane football.

While I am a firm supporter of top-notch academics, there is definite truth in this statement. Though it pains me to use it as an example, do you think thousands of students from across the country, but especially the Northeast, would have flocked to a Holy Cross congregation university outside of South Bend, Indiana for the past 80 or so years just for the Indiana scenery? As its football stature grew, so did its academics...Thye CAN go hand in hand.

As a student, whose parents paid full tuition, at UM, it used to irk me off that the "student-athletes" had their own private dining hall....and the reality was that it was really only for the football team. Of course, this was 20 year ago, but it looks like some things haven't changed.

Quadcam, my son was on an academic scholarship which didn't have any special eating requirements besides avoiding the "Freshman 15" (which he did). However, that is in most cases, not the goal of many student-athletes. True story: In 2008, I nearly ran over Robert Marve when he was on his way to the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall, no-doubt to partake in the same food as the other students. One of the first things Al Golden did when he arrived was beef up the nutrition program of the football team. A "training table's" purpose is just that: It provides the proper nutrition for athletes in training. From what I understand, non-athletes can use the section during non-peak times. It's a win-win.

I was a college student. Not at UM, but at a place where the athletes ate/lived better. Frankly, I wasn't too interested in waking up at 5am to make morning practice or perform elite physical activities in the middle of 100+ degree heat later that afternoon, so I kept my mouth shut about them eating a little bit better than me. I find that perspective to be insane, really.

This. It's kind of mind boggling someone can have this mentality especially if they consider themselves a follower of the program. The notion that football players at a high D1A school and a kid paying the regular tuition should be on equal footing is mind numbingly myopic. Unreal, actually. Then to make the leap of going from athlete dorms to paying players? Jeez.

The demands of the athlete at a big time college football program vs the demand on a regular student are night and day.

Even at the United States Air Force Academy the athletes are isolated at separate tables and allowed to eat without being harrassed. None of this no elbows on the table, 7 chews, etc. that the freshmen have to do. Football players are on an eating regime and let me tell you something they burn more calories than your standard Division 1 athlete. These kids still do military training events.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back