New threads have been great. Lets hear it for the dogs.

Used to breed German, American, and Belgium Shepherds; primarily German Shepherds. Love them. After our last German died of natural causes, the family & I took a break from The Shepherds.

Raised our first Akita from a pup. That little sucker got huge....like 125lbs huge, and had the aggressive trait. Loyal af, too. Name was Kuma (Japanese for Bear b/c he looked like a bear.)

Living in the hood; the mentality of dogs is different. Some view as pets, while others view as money makers (Pits/Rotts). Caught my next door neighbor hanging & beating his pits. My dad called Animal Control to rescue them; Sheriffs pulled up to to give dude a warning. He looked at our house, threatened my dad; proceeded to beat his ***. Next day, him & his family moved. He left my family a parting gift; poisoned my dog. My dog died the next day and I never recovered. Never owned a dog again.

Never could find dude, and my other neighbors who knew his girl wouldn’t tell me where they moved, b/c they already knew what was going to happen, b/c they know me. I always get butterflies seeing dogs; I love them...been around them practically my entire life. But owning again? Man, seeing ur dog gasping for life....man, I don’t think I can ever own again. That experienced traumatized me & my father.
What a coincidence, my son has a Akita called Kuma. Bought my first Akita pup in '94 and the kids grew up with her (Saki). She would never allow strangers near them and had to lock her away when they played with other kids. She couldn't differentiate play screams and kids ruff housing from a real threat. Extremely protective and loyal to the end.

Advertisement
Doctors were recommending grain free food for a long time. Tell me why it's no good, as mine has been eating it for some time, and she's pretty itchy. I'm wondering if she might have some allergies to it.

I think certain brands have had issues but for the most part Grain Free is good. Just check to make sure your brand is not one of them !

Doctors were recommending grain free food for a long time. Tell me why it's no good, as mine has been eating it for some time, and she's pretty itchy. I'm wondering if she might have some allergies to it.
My dad’s a veterinarian and he’s been adamant about avoiding it.

Much higher instances of dilated cardiomyopathy on dogs being fed grain free.

20200405_111006.jpg

Advertisement
My dad’s a veterinarian and he’s been adamant about avoiding it.

Much higher instances of dilated cardiomyopathy on dogs being fed grain free.
my wife’s chihuahua was diagnosed with it at10. Started feeding her grain free after the diagnoses. She died at 16 and her heart never got worse.
I feed my dogs orijin. It’s expensive but you have to feed very little. What happens with grain free is that people feel bad cause the amount this so small so they over feed. Since it’s mostly protein your dog doesn’t gain weight but the increase protein might have some unwanted effects. That’s just a speculation from someone that’s had dogs since I was 10. Nine of my dogs have had any food or skin allergies on it. No health problems either. All the way from pure breeds to mutts.

my wife’s chihuahua was diagnosed with it at10. Started feeding her grain free after the diagnoses. She died at 16 and her heart never got worse.
I feed my dogs orijin. It’s expensive but you have to feed very little. What happens with grain free is that people feel bad cause the amount this so small so they over feed. Since it’s mostly protein your dog doesn’t gain weight but the increase protein might have some unwanted effects. That’s just a speculation from someone that’s had dogs since I was 10. Nine of my dogs have had any food or skin allergies on it. No health problems either. All the way from outer breeds to mutts.
From what I’ve read, a lot depends on what they replace the grains with.

I wouldnt be surprised if breed matters a substantial amount. Almost every pure bred dog has some type of genetic weakness. Germans have bad hips, Labs have bad skin, Bulldogs have bad everything, chihuahuas usually have bad hearts and are prone to seizures. Some of those issues are exacerbated by diet. Mutts are generally healthier dogs.

Advertisement
Used to breed German, American, and Belgium Shepherds; primarily German Shepherds. Love them. After our last German died of natural causes, the family & I took a break from The Shepherds.

Raised our first Akita from a pup. That little sucker got huge....like 125lbs huge, and had the aggressive trait. Loyal af, too. Name was Kuma (Japanese for Bear b/c he looked like a bear.)

Living in the hood; the mentality of dogs is different. Some view as pets, while others view as money makers (Pits/Rotts). Caught my next door neighbor hanging & beating his pits. My dad called Animal Control to rescue them; Sheriffs pulled up to to give dude a warning. He looked at our house, threatened my dad; proceeded to beat his ***. Next day, him & his family moved. He left my family a parting gift; poisoned my dog. My dog died the next day and I never recovered. Never owned a dog again.

Never could find dude, and my other neighbors who knew his girl wouldn’t tell me where they moved, b/c they already knew what was going to happen, b/c they know me. I always get butterflies seeing dogs; I love them...been around them practically my entire life. But owning again? Man, seeing ur dog gasping for life....man, I don’t think I can ever own again. That experienced traumatized me & my father.
That's an awful experience brother. Sorry y'all had to go through that.

Advertisement
What a coincidence, my son has a Akita called Kuma. Bought my first Akita pup in '94 and the kids grew up with her (Saki). She would never allow strangers near them and had to lock her away when they played with other kids. She couldn't differentiate play screams and kids ruff housing from a real threat. Extremely protective and loyal to the end.

Exactly. An underrated trait; however, most dog experts do say that someone w breeding or dog experience should own Akitas b/c of their inherent nature. They are used in Japan to hunt bears, so they can instinctively be a bit aggressive, but they are guardians and protectors to a fault.

Was never a big dog person cause I’m actually allergic to them but I decided to adopt this knucklehead 4 years ago and it changed my life. He was abused prior to me and the adoption place wasn’t even sure that anyone would want him. They kept him for 6 months training him some and just showing him love. It has been a lot of work and he has come a long way. He acts big and bad but all he really wants to do is get petted and lick people haha. His name is Kane.

CBBD26F2-BD4E-490A-8294-C56EAB951970.jpeg

2FE6B3F9-AD50-49AD-9956-24194324ECF5.jpeg

0EC0ADA9-1854-457C-BA39-352C8C521016.jpeg

Advertisement
Was never a big dog person cause I’m actually allergic to them but I decided to adopt this knucklehead 4 years ago and it changed my life. He was abused prior to me and the adoption place wasn’t even sure that anyone would want him. They kept him for 6 months training him some and just showing him love. It has been a lot of work and he has come a long way. He acts big and bad but all he really wants to do is get petted and lick people haha. His name is Kane.

View attachment 119907

View attachment 119908
View attachment 119909
What you did deserves plenty of praise. That is a majestic animal.

What you did deserves plenty of praise. That is a majestic animal.

thanks. It took a couple girlfriends along with way to help train him haha. He has never lived inside so he was scared of everything and every noise. He has gotten better with it and now prefers insides over outdoor. He also isn’t a fan of strangers walking by the house or anyone he thinks is getting close to me or the house. It’s a good thing but something I always have to be on guard for as I don’t know his full past and just want to keep everyone safe.

Here is one more photo since I have too many in my phone. He still isn’t a big eater but I have gotten him to put on about 15lbs since I have had him.

C211CBCC-88FA-4EC3-BF63-1EA4DDC647A2.jpeg

Advertisement
Back