New Stadium

When I went to school there, nearly everyone cared about Miami football. And guess what, when the kids can just walk to the stadium, they care a lot more because it becomes a place to party. It connects the students to the team in a way that an NFL Stadium in Miami Gardens will never be able to do.

That's actually one of the best reasons to build it.
Times have changed. Ask current students or parents of students if most care. So let's say everyone student cares and goes to the game. That is 12,000 at most. Is it going to make up for the fans North of dade that don't want to mess with the traffic or the fans that won't come bc of less aminities?

People need to realize that if a player is looking for the big state school experience and that is the only factor then they won't choose Miami regardless if we have an on campus stadium or not. The kids at bama, Tennessee, Georgia etc are looked at as gods (until they graduate).... Miami is a completely different dynamic and an on campus stadium isn't going to change that.

Advertisement
Ever watched a Big 10 game? When Rutgers is at Penn St, Ohio St, Wiscy, Michigan, Nebraska, etc there will still be 90-100,000 people there. Not tickets sold, actual people there.
And penn state with that on campus stadium has won what?
What about Nebraska? It has been sold out since like 1825. You guys are trolling at his point. Miami attendance is public information and you can look it up. This town doesn’t show up for losers in any sport. Too much to do and too much traffic. Yeah it’s suck and it’s a reality in most towns even Tallahassee wasn’t showing up the past 2 seasons. But again mfers show up here with the same negative recruiting strategy. It’s been this way forever. The ob was empty for Rutgers and FAMU.
I’ll take 5 chips over the Nebraska college experience.

I get on my knees every night before going to bed and pray that we get a stadium close to campus. But I'm an old timer that lives close to campus... I have no choice but to travel 40 miles to see the Canes play. My season tickets are a thing of the past so I go when I can now. You all can argue about this but JRS is not our real home field... not when Ross celebrates the Gators there.

Tell me this, smart guy. If there's really no room to build anything on campus, then how does the university plan to expand in the next 30 years for non-football related stuff?

What about when they need a new library, or a new building for the law school? You're telling me the University of Miami has just run out of room?

THAT'S stupidity.

I 1000% GUARANTEE you that the University of Miami owns a lot of land for future expansion. And I guarantee that it's enough to build a stadium on, if they chose to do that.
Troll

So let's say every one of those students goes to every game. How are you filling the rest of the seats? You have people from Broward up to Jupiter who will not go to games any more. It's a 75 minute drive to HRS, it was a 135 minute drive to campus when I did it 25 years ago. What's your solution to that? Build a smaller stadium with fewer seats so it looks full? They sold 48,000 season tickets last year. How many fewer would they sell at your new, smaller stadium? Do you really expect them to sacrifice revenue so some jackass in Texas can see a full stadium on tv?

They've got 14 years left on their current lease. Hopefully they renew for another 25.

Newsflash: The University of Miami is not located in Broward. If people in Broward want to go to Canes games, then they can get in a car and drive.

How do people in Broward watch the Miami Heat? They either make the drive or they don't. The basketball team doesn't pander to them, and neither should the football team.

On the other hand, it would be easier for people in Dade to go to games. And all those people can spend money at the Rat and at the Campus Bookstore, and UM could pocket all the concessions and parking money.

They should build a 55,000 seat stadium. They could use it for football, to host concerts, political events, graduations, and it could be a focal point for campus events.

Advertisement
Newsflash: The University of Miami is not located in Broward. If people in Broward want to go to Canes games, then they can get in a car and drive.

How do people in Broward watch the Miami Heat? They either make the drive or they don't. The basketball team doesn't pander to them, and neither should the football team.

On the other hand, it would be easier for people in Dade to go to games. And all those people can spend money at the Rat and at the Campus Bookstore, and UM could pocket all the concessions and parking money.

They should build a 55,000 seat stadium. They could use it for football, to host concerts, political events, graduations, and it could be a focal point for campus events.
Lol yes they are going to use that stadium intead oF HRS or American airlines arena. Why would a 55k stadium be a focal point for camps events for an undergraduate population of less than 12,000 when they already have a basketball arena that could accommodate? It's not logical

Last edited:
And penn state with that on campus stadium has won what?
What about Nebraska? It has been sold out since like 1825. You guys are trolling at his point. Miami attendance is public information and you can look it up. This town doesn’t show up for losers in any sport. Too much to do and too much traffic. Yeah it’s suck and it’s a reality in most towns even Tallahassee wasn’t showing up the past 2 seasons. But again mfers show up here with the same negative recruiting strategy. It’s been this way forever. The ob was empty for Rutgers and FAMU.
I’ll take 5 chips over the Nebraska college experience.
I will take those five too. You obviously also completely missed the simple question that was asked and the simple true response that was given. I despise the Big 10.

Lol yes they are going to use that stadium intead oF HRS or American airlinesb arena. Why would a 55k stadium be a focal point for camps events for an undergraduate population of less than 12,000 when they already have a basketball arena that could accommodate? It's not logical

I go back to the examples of TCU and SMU. Both have smaller undergraduate populations than we have. SMU's is less than half. Yet both have on-campus stadiums that are used for many things besides just football.

Being in the middle of the city is a BENEFIT, in that way. Your stadium has a market value for things other than just football.

And yeah... in campuses across America, the football stadium is usually the heart and focal point of student life on campus.

Advertisement
LMAO. Tell us where you're putting this 55000 seat stadium on campus? You obviously didnt go to UM or know anything about it.

I go back to the examples of TCU and SMU. Both have smaller undergraduate populations than we have. SMU's is less than half. Yet both have on-campus stadiums that are used for many things besides just football.

Being in the middle of the city is a BENEFIT, in that way. Your stadium has a market value for things other than just football.

And yeah... in campuses across America, the football stadium is usually the heart and focal point of student life on campus.
Coral gables is NOT in the middle of the city. And as for your statement about the football stadium being the focal point of student life on campus, I agree in places like Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Auburn college station that would be the case. But what your are missing is that you are equating the same experience can be had at Miami as it can at those STATE schools. It can't and The university is a throws stone away from a world class City..... Unlike the aforementioned cities/schools

MIAMI is a different breed and we should play on that. I've always said boys go to college but MEN go to MIAMI

We have 17,000 students. Yeah it's not massive but let's not act like we're Babson College or some ****.

We're certainly big enough to have our own ON-CAMPUS stadium.

I'm living in Texas these days. TCU and SMU both have stadiums on campus. Both are in Dallas, which is a bigger city and metro area than Miami.

SMU, in particular, is located in University Park... which is much wealthier and has a higher per-capita income than Coral Gables by far. And yet, they have no problem with an on campus stadium.

So there's really nothing stopping us besides the typical Miami "can't do" attitude.
You're clueless.

I really liked what Coach Richt said when he first took the Miami job. It was something to the effect of:
"We don't have to play in an NFL stadium, we GET to play in an NFL stadium."

It's all in how you look at it.

I miss the Orange Bowl, that place was pure magic, it was indescribable.
There wasn't any place like it, and there never will be. It was Miami Hurricanes football.

But hard to imagine many of today's recruits being impressed with it.

yeah I remember when a reporter tried to bait him with a question like... oh you have to play in hard rock? Richt squelched that pretty good with the above response.

Advertisement

It really comes down to where you live. I've had numerous debates about this and the ones who love us playing at JRS 95% of the time live in Broward. I for one don't give a rat's *** about big screens and the big stadium... I was a long time OB season tic holder and nothing can beat that smaller venue energy.

LMAO. Tell us where you're putting this 55000 seat stadium on campus? You obviously didnt go to UM or know anything about it.
You don't need to be an alum to know that it's impossible to build a stadium on campus... son I'm a 60 year resident of the area.

SMU's 32,000 seat stadium is built on the site of their original stadium, which was built in 1926. TCU's stadium in Ft. Worth was built in 1930.

So, in 2019 all UM needs to do is tear down their existing on-campus stadium and build a new one on the same site. Oh, wait...we're missing something.

Advertisement

You know the goal is to attract people, right? You don't do that by making it inconvenient for them. Do you think they'd be able to afford all the amenities that HRS provides? Nope. So now people north of say downtown Miami have to drive farther through worse traffic and pay more for a lesser experience. Ticket sales will drop, then the school has even less money. Your brilliant idea of an on campus stadium has not only reduce income, but increased debt.

Don't forget about another 2 billion for highway access and road expansions and improvements.

Some of you morons try going to a Saturday afternoon baseball or basketball game on campus.

Or an early evening weekday game.

About half of you would give up about halfway down US1 and turnaround and go home. The other half would vow never to go again.

Forget the fact that Coral Gables wouldn’t allow it, and there’s no room anyway on campus. The billions of dollars it would cost for highway expansion and road improvements - where would it come from?

There should be a rule...next person that starts a thread on a new on campus or Tropical Park stadium...grounds for automatic lifetime ban.

Gotta say, without mentioning any names of course, that occasionally there have been some people who live downtown and have started the drive to Houston’s (or whatever it’s called now) for Happy Hour on a Friday —- only to turn back or go somewhere else because of all that traffic. 😉

The Broward/PBC issue wasn't a thing before 2008 and we still sold out big games and had crappy attendance otherwise. Which is exactly how it is now.

Advertisement
Back