New Stadium

I see this pop up from time to time, where certain influential past players talk about having an on campus stadium or converting Tropical Park. I don't live there so it is hard to know what is really a possibility. Do we really have no room for a stadium on campus? Is Tropical Park a possibility?
Sorry, no we don't. Please catch the next bus to Gainesville.

Advertisement
Maybe they should just cover more of the stadium to make it seem more full. Watching on TV it seems like a ghost town.
Originally they were supposed to tarp off the upper endzones for UM games, reducing the capacity to 55k; except for the really big draw games. Whatever reason, they haven't but may be worth looking into. Now that I think about it, they have been breaking records for season tickets and of course, will sell as many as possible; it's just a shame so many don't show up.

Originally they were supposed to tarp off the upper endzones for UM games, reducing the capacity to 55k; except for the really big draw games. Whatever reason, they haven't but may be worth looking into. Now that I think about it, they have been breaking records for season tickets and of course, will sell as many as possible; it's just a shame so many don't show up.

that was the plan, but when richt was hired, attendance has gone up for even games that normally no one would show up for.

Advertisement
It's not, that's my point. People wanting to "re-create the OB" don't remember the games against Rutgers at the OB.

Chit; I do. Lol. Mug was empty, but honestly it was still a great feel for an out of towner like myself. I just never connected w Sun Life Stadium, even during good games. Granted, I’ve never been to HRS since it’s renno, but man those aqua seats for the Dolphins throws me off.

I used to be so hopeful for our own stadium, especially when one of my former clients, who’s a UM alum and graduated w a degree in Architectural Engineering, drew up a blue print for the stadium at Tropical Park for 50k seats w the ability to add another 10k seats for big games. It was a beautiful design & her pet project & she was just saying it was her idea of it serving as another stream of revenue for her beloved alma mater (concessions, ticket sales for any and all events, but the city would make money off parking, no matter what event was held there.)

Of course it was just a concept w no legs, just her idea, but she seemed so determined to make it happen w her firm from So Cal. That was back in like 07-08.

Being that it’s not a reality, I’m content where we are. It’s a pipe dreams at this point.

The fact that Miami is one of only two G5 teams without their own stadium is sad.

It hurts our recruiting for sure. You don’t get a true college experience if you play for the U.

The fact that our admin has our “fans” so beaten down that our own fans shoot down the stadium idea without the administration even having to respond to it is even more sad.

You can really tell that people in Miami have roots in communist countries where you don’t question authority. Very sad imo.
Even if we had an on campus stadium you still wouldn't get a "true college experience" bc we don't have the number of students like the big public universities. I doubt many on here would consider wake forest as getting a "true college experience" but they have an on campus stadium and they never fill their stadium. Having an on campus stadium is not going to make our attendance any better and may make it worse.

And I don't think it's sad that we play in a world class stadium.

The w
The new stadium talk will never make sense. We play in a state of the art nfl stadium in between Broward and Dade county. Location is perfect. And I like staying dry during rainstorms and eating arepas while choosing which gigantic tv I want to watch the replay on.
most would say the location is horrible.

Advertisement
I see this pop up from time to time, where certain influential past players talk about having an on campus stadium or converting Tropical Park. I don't live there so it is hard to know what is really a possibility. Do we really have no room for a stadium on campus? Is Tropical Park a possibility?
On campus stadium would effectively kill the program.

Attendance improved once CMR arrived and the Roof was installed. Prior to that, attendance at SLS was an embarrassment. Name one stadium that isn’t dead vs. Temple or Rutgers?
Ever watched a Big 10 game? When Rutgers is at Penn St, Ohio St, Wiscy, Michigan, Nebraska, etc there will still be 90-100,000 people there. Not tickets sold, actual people there.

Advertisement
Ever watched a Big 10 game? When Rutgers is at Penn St, Ohio St, Wiscy, Michigan, Nebraska, etc there will still be 90-100,000 people there. Not tickets sold, actual people there.
And how many alumni do those schools produce on an annual basis and tell me what type of entertainment/activities are competing with these games in these towns. Apples to oranges

Chit; I do. Lol. Mug was empty, but honestly it was still a great feel for an out of towner like myself. I just never connected w Sun Life Stadium, even during good games. Granted, I’ve never been to HRS since it’s renno, but man those aqua seats for the Dolphins throws me off.

I used to be so hopeful for our own stadium, especially when one of my former clients, who’s a UM alum and graduated w a degree in Architectural Engineering, drew up a blue print for the stadium at Tropical Park for 50k seats w the ability to add another 10k seats for big games. It was a beautiful design & her pet project & she was just saying it was her idea of it serving as another stream of revenue for her beloved alma mater (concessions, ticket sales for any and all events, but the city would make money off parking, no matter what event was held there.)

Of course it was just a concept w no legs, just her idea, but she seemed so determined to make it happen w her firm from So Cal. That was back in like 07-08.

Being that it’s not a reality, I’m content where we are. It’s a pipe dreams at this point.

Make it down to a game and I'll buy you a beer. The new HRS is a marvel my dude, we're lucky to play there honestly.

And how many alumni do those schools produce on an annual basis and tell me what type of entertainment/activities are competing with these games in these towns. Apples to oranges
I never said it wasn't. The point was made to name any stadium that would fill up for Rutgers and I named several just out of the Big 10. Stadiums fill up for crappy teams in other conferences every single week. I fully understand why Miami never will, particularly since I live right near Pittsburgh and Pitt has the exact same set up with the Steelers and Heinz Field and will also always suffer the same ****** attendance Miami does.

Advertisement
Is it a logistical problem or a political problem. I look on Google maps at Tropical Park and it looks like it would work real well. But, again, I dont live there so I don't know the area.
Politics. For the sake of the argument lets say that there is room on campus for the grand daddy of all stadiums. It is still not happening. Coral Gables and South Miami aren't going to permit it. Rich people don't want a stadium in their back yard. Miami is a private school. The county would have to give/sell land the school. Highly unlikely that happens too.

Hard rock packed is louder than the OB was. Roof makes that just a scientific fact. We just need to win and the hard rock will be legendary too.

Don't forget about another 2 billion for highway access and road expansions and improvements.

Some of you morons try going to a Saturday afternoon baseball or basketball game on campus.

Or an early evening weekday game.

About half of you would give up about halfway down US1 and turnaround and go home. The other half would vow never to go again.

Forget the fact that Coral Gables wouldn’t allow it, and there’s no room anyway on campus. The billions of dollars it would cost for highway expansion and road improvements - where would it come from?

There should be a rule...next person that starts a thread on a new on campus or Tropical Park stadium...grounds for automatic lifetime ban.
I second the motion for permaban.

The fact that Miami is one of only two G5 teams without their own stadium is sad.

It hurts our recruiting for sure. You don’t get a true college experience if you play for the U.

The fact that our admin has our “fans” so beaten down that our own fans shoot down the stadium idea without the administration even having to respond to it is even more sad.

You can really tell that people in Miami have roots in communist countries where you don’t question authority. Very sad imo.

So much imbecility and ignorance in one post

Advertisement
Back